'indy Scotland Cannot Join Eu With Sterlingisation' - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

'indy Scotland Cannot Join Eu With Sterlingisation'

Can't see this reported on the SKY News website, but they've just reported that some high heid yin in the EU has said that it would be "impossible" for Scotland to join the EU if we used the £ without a currency union??

Something about us not having a central bank?

I'm pretty sure that this has been dispelled before? That Wings wrote an article on it?

Anybody else see it?

edit to say:

Daily Mail now reporting it - it was in a latter to Fanny Alexander from an 'Olli Reihn' who is apparently the outgoing "economy chief", whatever that means

Edited by Maq

Project Fear have dug up some Brit-friendly ex-EU diplomat and persuaded him to spout some scare story about us joining the EU.

I thought they'd done this months ago and nobody paid any attention to it.

No doubt they'll find a few Fear friendly editors and use the BBC to stretch this nonsense out as long as possible.

Can't see this reported on the SKY News website, but they've just reported that some high heid yin in the EU has said that it would be "impossible" for Scotland to join the EU if we used the £ without a currency union??

I'm pretty sure that this has been dispelled before? That Wings wrote an article on it?

Anybody else see it?

edit to say:

Daily Mail now reporting it - it was in a latter to Fanny Alexander from an 'Olli Reihn' who is apparently the outgoing "economy chief", whatever that means

"EU refuse to admit the most oil and alternative energy rich country in Europe"!!

Nope, cannae see it.

Edited by Flure

Their call, it's the EU's loss.

99% of people have...I suspect...very little idea what the EU does or doesn't do for Scotland. How many people ever think about the EU on a day to day basis ?

But suddenly it's an issue of massive importance.

Come on.

Project Fear still going for the same failed tactics.

A sudden and 'unsolicitated ' intervention from (fill in gap of friend of Westminster) - big press conference - allow BBC/ITV/newspaper editors to spead Project Fear message.

It didn't work before, it won't work now.

In fairness, I can see how sterlingisation is probably the most awkward currency solution when it comes to the EU. I still don't think we'd be kicked out but it's probably the most difficult currency arrangement to resolve and might see us instead move quickly to a Scottish pound.

They're going to need something far bigger than this I think, especially given the Sterling jitters which probably restricts how vocally they can hammer currency union.

Is there any sort of strong or detailed rebuttal of this as yet?

As I thought, Wings did an article on this a while ago:

http://wingsoverscotland.com/a-useful-idiot/

Whilst it's not a complete rebuttal, it does show that there's nothing in EU law that would stop us being members if we chose Sterlingisation.

Good old Wings - just imagine, a journalist actually investigating, putting a question to someone who would know the answer, and reporting on it. It'll never catch on!

I'm actually pleasantly surprised at the lack of mileage this story has got with Scottish papers.

6 months ago it would have been the headline for days.....now it's an insignificant by-line, hidden under a barage of positive stories for Yes.

I think Alexander thought he'd found (another) smoking gun. Turns out it was a little plastic pop gun.

• 4 years later...
On 9/2/2014 at 7:55 PM, Maq said:

Anybody else see it?

edit to say:

Incorrect.
Someone is deliberately confusing rules for joining EU and the EURO