Learning Guitar - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Important question here - my son ( and me) are learning guitar so just starting out, he has a few lessons with local guitar teacher n i have bought this bloke Justins beginners book -

Now it comes to Chords and for A chord Justin recommends playing with first finger in middle string whereas the guitar teacher says naw do it the proper way i.e. fingers in a line 1,2,3

Could anyone advise if a big deal and which to go for ? - we obviously want to get things right from the start and wasnt expecting such choices :-)

Cheers

Hair

Do both.

Depends on the song you're playing and/or the speed of the song as well.

Most people I've ever known (including myself) strumming chords hold down the notes with the first finger but you may actually do both in the same song.

What ever is most comfortable or you think sounds ok.

Ok cheers

so when playing A you sometimes switch from using finger 1 on string 4, finger 2 on string 3 and finger 3 on string 2

to using finger 1 on string 3, finger 2 on string 4 and finger 3 on string 2 ?

just started practising moving from A to D to E etc. so just wanted to stick with one version of A to get some speed up

should we practise with both versions of A or does it not really matter at this point?

the justin guy is saying his way easier to move to different notes using his finger configuration as finger 1 would be an anchor..

but im swaying towards guitar teacher way ( traditional) if continue to get lessons

Guest allyc

I have a pal who can play like a demon but can hardly read a note of sheet music.

Edited by allyc

I have a pal who can play like a demon but can hardly read a note of sheet music.

I'm the same pretty much. Started out when my grandad used to teach me Johnny Cash songs, and just progressed from there. I've played in numerous bands across numerous genres and still have to have people do basic things like count measures for me when I'm writing songs or recording. Sheet music is a no no for me and I work solely with Tablature.

I use a program on PC called Guitar Pro for writing music, but you can also download thousands of songs and lessons for it which it displays and plays audio for you in the form of tabs that even my 7 year old can read.

Ok cheers

so when playing A you sometimes switch from using finger 1 on string 4, finger 2 on string 3 and finger 3 on string 2

to using finger 1 on string 3, finger 2 on string 4 and finger 3 on string 2 ?

just started practising moving from A to D to E etc. so just wanted to stick with one version of A to get some speed up

should we practise with both versions of A or does it not really matter at this point?

the justin guy is saying his way easier to move to different notes using his finger configuration as finger 1 would be an anchor..

but im swaying towards guitar teacher way ( traditional) if continue to get lessons

I'm getting confused now :lol:

I mean I usually just use finger 1 to hold all 3 or 4 string downs (like a bar) but sometimes I may play an A chord like your guitar teachers recommends.

Mostly the bar chord though as it's easier to play and to move from chord to chord.

I used to occasionally use my pinkie to play the A. Mainly just to mix things up, but it lets you slide on nicely for a bar chord.

Here's a question. Wrote and recorded a song many years ago and sort of made up a chord for it. I've still not figured out which chord it is. Held my thumb over three strings. Played the first string G, second string C and third string F. Nice sounding chord, but does anyone know what it is?

• 4 years later...

I was a big big fan of justinguitar a good few years ago as this thread shows  but when I revisited a few weeks ago as revision I was amazed to see the guy had relearned the guitar playing left handed to make himself a better teacher.

Over a million subs... the guy has gone big time.

Good on you man.

Buy a guitar and do his amazing free course. Even if you are destined to be eternally shite it is great fun.

https://www.justinguitar.com/site-map-and-lesson-structure

Edited by thplinth

So this his first lesson but playing left handed. The guy is hot shit on the guitar so fascinating to see him struggle the same as anyone learning it afresh left handed. Sore fingers within minutes...His site is a blessing during this lockdown pish.

Missed this thread first and second time around. That is crazy learning the guitar opposite handed,  where would you get time or motivation for that especially if you were already very good. 

I've  pottered about for years on guitars with no real skill developed. Have a couple of cheap Takamines.

Started Classical lessons last January and loving it. I think I need a teacher to motivate me. I have poor self discipline so the weekly lesson keeps me focused. Also I find I need to practice technical exercises in order to get better at pieces I learn.

I'm.amazed how much info is available in YouTube it is incredible. It's also depressing when some prodigious 7 year old can batter out a tune that I can't get near playing 😕

Currently window shopping for a new guitar which is much easier after the CITES regulations were eased last year. 

On 7/6/2015 at 4:52 PM, Stapes said:

I used to occasionally use my pinkie to play the A. Mainly just to mix things up, but it lets you slide on nicely for a bar chord.

Here's a question. Wrote and recorded a song many years ago and sort of made up a chord for it. I've still not figured out which chord it is. Held my thumb over three strings. Played the first string G, second string C and third string F. Nice sounding chord, but does anyone know what it is?

Csus4 ?

Good for you mate. I play the Bagpipes, but as some posters have said, start simple. The trick I the execution. Obviously different instruments,  but in learning, the most important thing is patience. Never rush. I remember when I started learning the Bagpipes. I wanted to play Scotland The Brave after being on the chanter 1 month. My instructor showed me the door. So I listened to him and buckled down. It's boring as fuck at times, but in the end, he was right. Trying to get my son on the guitar as he has no ambition to play the Bagpipes. We bought him a guitar. He picks it up now and again, as he busy with school. Anyway, best of luck mate, there is no better feeling than playing music. 🙂👍

On 5/5/2020 at 8:42 AM, beardy said:

Missed this thread first and second time around. That is crazy learning the guitar opposite handed,  where would you get time or motivation for that especially if you were already very good. 

I've  pottered about for years on guitars with no real skill developed. Have a couple of cheap Takamines.

Started Classical lessons last January and loving it. I think I need a teacher to motivate me. I have poor self discipline so the weekly lesson keeps me focused. Also I find I need to practice technical exercises in order to get better at pieces I learn.

I'm.amazed how much info is available in YouTube it is incredible. It's also depressing when some prodigious 7 year old can batter out a tune that I can't get near playing 😕

Currently window shopping for a new guitar which is much easier after the CITES regulations were eased last year. 

He could not remember what it was like to learn as a true newbie so he went and relearned to play as left handed, it really is like starting again. He said he learned to play so young he could not remember at all the true finger pain etc and all the other experiences ... It is nuts i agree but a brilliant way for a professional teacher to make yourself a better teacher. I am currently rebooting my guitar lessons on his site. He is really excellent.

He also now does vids of him teaching students. And these are very useful as well i find. 

For example...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nBs43BUUhk 

5 hours ago, thplinth said:

He could not remember what it was like to learn as a true newbie so he went and relearned to play as left handed, it really is like starting again. He said he learned to play so young he could not remember at all the true finger pain etc and all the other experiences ... It is nuts i agree but a brilliant way for a professional teacher to make yourself a better teacher. I am currently rebooting my guitar lessons on his site. He is really excellent.

He also now does vids of him teaching students. And these are very useful as well i find. 

For example...

Whatya playin?

9 hours ago, thplinth said:

For example...

I don't do much metal string acoustic stuff and I haven't trolled through his videos. Does he go into warm up exercises.

I spend 15-20 minutes on a warm up and then I end up only playing for another 20. I'm keen to see what other guitar disciplines recommend.