Billy Stark Steps Down - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Billy Stark Steps Down

Gary Stirling

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he done a reasonable job, very unlucky in 2010 not to take us to the Finals, but the last campaign was a disaster so it's the right thing for him to do to go now and have a fresh face take over.

I think he done a reasonable job, very unlucky in 2010 not to take us to the Finals, but the last campaign was a disaster so it's the right thing for him to do to go now and have a fresh face take over.

Unlucky??? Are you his agent?

Would 2010 be the same campaign where he led us to a memorable 2-2 draw at home against Azerbaijan?

I am not saying Stark has done a wonderful job but I think he gets a bit of a hard time on here.

I think people often forget only 7 teams (plus the hosts) in Europe actually qualify for the UEFA u21 championship finals.

In 2010 we won our group with 5 wins, 2 draws and a defeat. We then lost the play offs to Iceland. - Good campaign.

In 2013 we came 2nd to the Dutch with 3 wins (inc an away win v the Netherlands), 4 draws and 1 defeat. We missed out on the play offs as were not in the top 4 runners up - Decent campaign but too many draws.

In 2015 we came 3rd (should have been 4th if it was not for Georgia getting points deducted) with 3 wins, 2 draws and 3 defeats. Certainly a disappointing campaign.

So overall I think he done reasonably well. It is probably the right time to move on but I don’t think it has been a disaster how some people have made out.

the play-off defeat to iceland was dissappointin, especially as we went 1 up away from home in the first leg.

a few good wins in the group stage in that campaign.

too many draws in teh second campaign. that killed us.

his teams had a habit of losing late goals, which was a bit worrying.

Edited by Boynze

I am not saying Stark has done a wonderful job but I think he gets a bit of a hard time on here.

I think people often forget only 7 teams (plus the hosts) in Europe actually qualify for the UEFA u21 championship finals.

In 2010 we won our group with 5 wins, 2 draws and a defeat. We then lost the play offs to Iceland. - Good campaign.

In 2013 we came 2nd to the Dutch with 3 wins (inc an away win v the Netherlands), 4 draws and 1 defeat. We missed out on the play offs as were not in the top 4 runners up - Decent campaign but too many draws.

In 2015 we came 3rd (should have been 4th if it was not for Georgia getting points deducted) with 3 wins, 2 draws and 3 defeats. Certainly a disappointing campaign.

So overall I think he done reasonably well. It is probably the right time to move on but I dont think it has been a disaster how some people have made out.

Half of the wins you talk about are against Luxembourg. Look at his results against teams of a similar level and the only result of note was the Dutch result and that was down to players like Forrest and Rhodes being excellent rather than the manager being any good.

His squad selections are always bizarre and his tactics are even more so.

I know it's difficult to qualify at this level but so many of his sides have blown leads, usually late in the game, and been completely outplayed. There have been a few hammering along the way too.

Half of the wins you talk about are against Luxembourg. Look at his results against teams of a similar level and the only result of note was the Dutch result and that was down to players like Forrest and Rhodes being excellent rather than the manager being any good.

His squad selections are always bizarre and his tactics are even more so.

I know it's difficult to qualify at this level but so many of his sides have blown leads, usually late in the game, and been completely outplayed. There have been a few hammering along the way too.

4 of the wins were against Lux that is correct. I dont know how you can say his record is dreadful though. He won the group, came 2nd and 3rd. The 1st two certainly not dreadful. As i said only 7 teams qualify and there would be many many teams better than Scotland not qualifying for these finals. Certainly too many draws in there. Probably time to move on but as I said I think he got/gets a hard time on here.

So overall I think he done reasonably well. It is probably the right time to move on but I dont think it has been a disaster how some people have made out.

2013 and 2015 was it not a case that we beat Luxembourg 4 times.... So even though we beat the dutch and slovakia, his record is not really that great.