Squad For Ireland And England Games - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad For Ireland And England Games

wanderer

I dont see the problem in bringing a couple of the better players from the under 21 squad along for a bit of experience who strachan feels are going to be important players in the future.

they wont get a game in the competitive games but might get a wee run out in the friendlies.

Did he not take Andy Robertson along with a few other up and coming under 21's for a scotland get together last year and now he is most peoples favoured left back

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont see the problem in bringing a couple of the better players from the under 21 squad along for a bit of experience who strachan feels are going to be important players in the future.

they wont get a game in the competitive games but might get a wee run out in the friendlies.

Did he not take Andy Robertson along with a few other up and coming under 21's for a scotland get together last year and now he is most peoples favoured left back

THink Robertson and Chris Johnston from killie trained with the full squad last year.

IMO I would have Martin upfront with Bardsley and Robertson putting in the crosses. We will need a physical presence and Martin will give us this option better than Fletcher

Thought Arfield would get a call up, playing really well and playing every game...pretty sure Bannan isnt playing much

It's true he's playing every game, but his team's bottom of the league with 0 wins and the worst goal difference.

So, "playing really well" is a bit of an exaggeration.

Think in the case of Macleod and McGregor some people need to take a back seat and believe in the people who know what they are talking about, obviously Gordon wants to give experience to "wildcards" each squad and this time it is Macleod's chance, no way will he be getting in the line up but he is hopefully future. Every fan of each team is going to be biased towards their players, I remember trying to argue that Graeme Shinnie was a better player than Robertson...

As for Macleods talent, it is clear for all to see, in many games he has been Ranger's best player and was again against premiership opposition in st Johnstone. I also remember mcdowall saying he is the best young player he has seen since McGeady. Just trust Gordon knows what he is doing and be happy that there is a huge amount of young talent to pick from right now!!

I honestly think we will have a convincing victory over ireland, the two turncoats wont show up and Coleman can get forward all he wants when we have the road runner getting in behind on the left!

Chris burke is a waste of a jersey, and to exclude Rhodes for mcleod is just fecking shocking. No sign of Rhodes, Russell, Bryson or Cairney. I hope wgs knows what he is doing!

What a clown you've made yourself look with this post.

Bryson is in the squad and Rhodes wasn't left out for Mcleod as the boy is a central midfielder not a striker. I think you'll find Stevie May has Rhodes place, and so he should. He's a far better all round player.

Just because Mcleod plays for Rangers the nuggets are out screaming he doesn't deserve to be in the squad. Pathetic as per from the usual morons. Anyone who's seen the boy play will know he's got the potential to be a top player. Add in he's left sided and can score a goal or two and we don't have many to compete with him.

Having said that I'd have liked to see Arfield in the squad as he looks like he could step up quite easily into the team.

Edited by RenfrewBlue

I've nothing against Arfield, but I don't understand what he's done to deserve a call up.

We've also not called up

George Boyd
Ross Wallace
Matt Phillips
Charlie Adam
Liam Bridcutt
all playing regularly in the EPL, but, like Arfield, not doing enough to warrant a call up.

Just because Mcleod plays for Rangers the nuggets are out screaming he doesn't deserve to be in the squad.

What a "nugget" and a "m0r0n" you are. :lol:

Edited by Parklife

I just hope they all make it through the weekend without any injuries!

The ROI game is an absolute must win. Need to play the strongest available squad.

England fixture will be a sub-fest so would imagine most players on that list to get some game time then.

If it was up to these people the best Scottish midfielder of the last 15 years would have never got a game just because he played for Rangers.

yawn.

There was a thread on here the other day where Scott Allan was being touted for Scotland.

It got the same response as McLeod is getting now.

What a clown you've made yourself look with this post.

Bryson is in the squad and Rhodes wasn't left out for Mcleod as the boy is a central midfielder not a striker. I think you'll find Stevie May has Rhodes place, and so he should. He's a far better all round player.

Just because Mcleod plays for Rangers the nuggets are out screaming he doesn't deserve to be in the squad. Pathetic as per from the usual morons. Anyone who's seen the boy play will know he's got the potential to be a top player. Add in he's left sided and can score a goal or two and we don't have many to compete with him.

Having said that I'd have liked to see Arfield in the squad as he looks like he could step up quite easily into the team.

True, I made myself look a clown, I didnt see Bryson in there, but Mcleod? Burke?

There are more deserving players than these two. I honestly cant believe Russell, Arfield, Adam, Rhodes, Cairney, Bridcutt have been overlooked for Mcleod and Burke. As someone recently posted, the ROI game is a must win and we should have the strongest possible squad available without bringing guys in just for experience imo

Strachan has a history of giving younger players with potential a place in the squad to give them a taste of the big time.

McLeod isn't taking anyone's place. He's there to carry the hampers and to learn, that's all.

Lewis is a terrific prospect and although he is playing at a lower level you can still see the signs that he is potentionally going to develop in to a fantastic young prospect. The clowns on here that are slating his inclusion have probably not even seen him play. Just can't get their heads around the fact a Rangers player is involved in the set up. Sad really.

Think in the case of Macleod and McGregor some people need to take a back seat and believe in the people who know what they are talking about, obviously Gordon wants to give experience to "wildcards" each squad and this time it is Macleod's chance, no way will he be getting in the line up but he is hopefully future. Every fan of each team is going to be biased towards their players, I remember trying to argue that Graeme Shinnie was a better player than Robertson...

And come the next squad, might find Strachan decides that maybe one from Jordan Archer, Jordan McGhee, Stuart Armstrong, Ryan Fraser etc are worth a look at.......... at the expense of MacLeods place in the previous squad.

Good move by Strachan integrating these youngsters with the full squad, couldn't give a monkeys who they play for. Some of you should leave your club loyalties and hatred at the door, its the national team FFS. Quite a few bitter and twisted on this board.

Lewis is a terrific prospect and although he is playing at a lower level you can still see the signs that he is potentionally going to develop in to a fantastic young prospect. The clowns on here that are slating his inclusion have probably not even seen him play. Just can't get their heads around the fact a Rangers player is involved in the set up. Sad really.

OK...there are several points there.

Firstly, anyone with sense knows that 'Lewis' is just there to learn, not to play. Strachan does this with every squad to get youngsters feel like they're involved. Good on him.

Secondly...and on the other hand... it's a wee bit hard to blame people for their reaction. We've had a decade or more on here of OF youngsters being touted as the greatest thing ever, only to find out that they actually we'ren't all that great after all.

Strachan sees potential in 'Lewis', so he's giving him a small taste of the big time. However, and this is unfortunately undeniable, 'Lewis' has hardly played a competitive game worth its name in his whole career at Rangers. He's wholely untested at any real level of the game.

Some of the criticism of his inclusion is over the top, but so is some of the hyperbole from Rangers fans on here.

Edited by Rossy

Firstly, anyone with sense knows that 'Lewis' is just there to learn, not to play. Strachan does this with every squad to get youngsters feel like they're involved. Good on him.

Secondly...and on the other hand... it's a wee bit hard to blame people for their reaction. We've had a decade or more on here of OF youngsters being touted as the greatest thing ever, only to find out that they actually we'ren't all that great after all.

Strachan sees potential in 'Lewis', so he's giving him a small taste of the big time. However, and this is unfortunately undeniable, 'Lewis' has hardly played a competitive game worth its name in his whole career at Rangers. He's wholely untested at any real level of the game.

Some of the criticism of his inclusion is over the top, but so is some of the hyperbole from Rangers fans on here.

thats a fair assessment of the situation.

I think there is little doubt McLeod looks a decent prospect but is he any better than Christie, Jack, McGregor, Armstrong or any other young midfielder in the league above?

Sad that you call folk with a differing opinion a clown.

You'd be first to moan if a Hearts player got a call up ahead of players playing well in EPL.

McLeod is a good player, seen him play right through youth system and for rangers first team, albeit on TV.

Doesn't mean I think he deserves place in squad. Arfield deserves it IMO.

Agreed.

As a Rangers fan I can understand the cynicism of non-OF fans about MacLeod's inclusion, we have all seen OF 'potential' crash and burn - although that is not limited to the OF players. However, it is logical that Rangers fans have seen more of the lad than most and I have seen enough to genuinely believe that he will develop into a Scotland regular. His temperament, vision and workrate are first class and his time with the squad will not be wasted. I hope those with Scotland's future interests don't pre-judge him on which club he plays for, I fear that the usual suspects are! Wee Gord knows what he is doing.