mccaughey85

Manager poll  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Keep Clarke or not.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that VAR guy has said to the ref check for a penalty the Headline would've been 

Clarke's Genius Tactical Patience Makes History!

I really can't think of a realistic better replacement.

England scored two in the groups - so did we. They topped it cause they had a piss poor group. We were bottom because we had a tough one.

Clarke rightly kept the last two games tight and didn’t go gung ho all out attack as he knows Hungary and Switzerland would have picked us off. He stayed patient in Oslo and it worked - he stayed patient here in the last game and it almost worked. It’s not his fault a penalty wasn’t given or the ball hit the post V Switzerland. Either of those goes the other way and he’s a genius right now. 

International football is fine margins and I could 100% see what Clarke was doing and I backed it. 

You need to remember we lost a massive part of any game plan with Dykes going. The game plan is gone further when Ferguson goes (I think he was going to be in mcgregors role) and then it goes further with Tierney. He is also left with a gaping hole at RB which changes things further. 

Give the guy a break. We aren’t Brazil and he took us very close to the next stage. Small moments and small margins. 

The media have been a disgrace.

10 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

If that VAR guy has said to the ref check for a penalty the Headline would've been 

Yeh it's fine margins but we wouldn't have deserved it going by our overall tournament performance. 

4 minutes ago, GaryWood34 said:

England scored two in the groups - so did we. They topped it cause they had a piss poor group. We were bottom because we had a tough one.

Clarke rightly kept the last two games tight and didn’t go gung ho all out attack as he knows Hungary and Switzerland would have picked us off. He stayed patient in Oslo and it worked - he stayed patient here in the last game and it almost worked. It’s not his fault a penalty wasn’t given or the ball hit the post V Switzerland. Either of those goes the other way and he’s a genius right now. 

International football is fine margins and I could 100% see what Clarke was doing and I backed it. 

You need to remember we lost a massive part of any game plan with Dykes going. The game plan is gone further when Ferguson goes (I think he was going to be in mcgregors role) and then it goes further with Tierney. He is also left with a gaping hole at RB which changes things further. 

Give the guy a break. We aren’t Brazil and he took us very close to the next stage. Small moments and small margins. 

There’s no way he’s dropping McGregor, for some reason he’s untouchable under Clarke. He floats about like a butterfly which is ok in the spl against cannon fodder but in games against really good teams he’s not good enough.

8 minutes ago, GaryWood34 said:

We’d still have found a way to finish bottom of England’s group 

Time for a new manager 

12 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

There’s no way he’s dropping McGregor, for some reason he’s untouchable under Clarke. He floats about like a butterfly which is ok in the spl against cannon fodder but in games against really good teams he’s not good enough.

Pretty sure he's been a part of all our good wins v decent opposition. 

He played well in those games as well.

If we're getting rid of McGregor we might as well change the whole squad.

Guest bigfathagiz

I think he did OK getting us to Euros but he was lucky the first time as we beat two average teams on penalties. As for this years qualification the so called great result against Spain,  again this was part luck as the Spain manager openly admitted he underestimated our squad and made 11 changes, in other words we beat a second string side. In that campaign we also drew with Georgia and shipped 3 goals v Norway in a shit draw at home.  As for Clarke's tactics most people in media, including, Keane, Moyes, Souness, Stuart Pearce, McCoist, Rough, in fact virtually every pundit out there as well as most fans agree that a 442 should have been used at certain points against Hungary and the Swiss, Shankland, Forrest, Morgan should have got more minutes. I also agree with a number of posts that state McTominey should not be taking corners and most of our free kicks were garbage. All the talk is about Clarke staying or going but why no discussion about Austin McPhee and bye the way let's not forget it was Clarke who wanted him appointed,  surely he could have worked with Robertson, Ralston, or Gilmore or McGregor to take decent corners and free kicks and have a decent system in place, that allowed our main strikers and scorers in McGinn and McTominey to get into scoring positions,  the set plays we had were utter shyte. I saw Mcphee wandering about with his fone taking selfies as if he was on a jolly boys outing, if anybody needs the boot it's him. even Clark lost it with him on the touchline. In saying all that friendlies or not 1 win in 12 is just not good enough, tactics not good enough, press comments shameful so maybe both need their p45's.

Something to think about.  Euro qualification was a decent achievement but when you look at results they were poor getting beat 4 -0 away to Russia and 2-1 at home, 3-0 and 4-0 to Belgium and sneaking in v penalties v Israel and Serbia. We also missed out in qualification for world cup and were garbage in both euros we attended with a record of 4 defeats two draws no wins 12 goals conceded only 3 scored and in 12 games 28 goals scored against us. Clarke's comment about the ref was a disgrace. 

1 minute ago, bigfathagiz said:

I think he did OK getting us to Euros but he was lucky the first time as we beat two average teams on penalties. As for this years qualification the so called great result against Spain,  again this was part luck as the Spain manager openly admitted he underestimated our squad and made 11 changes, in other words we beat a second string side. In that campaign we also drew with Georgia and shipped 3 goals v Norway in a shit draw at home.  As for Clarke's tactics most people in media, including, Keane, Moyes, Souness, Stuart Pearce, McCoist, Rough, in fact virtually every pundit out there as well as most fans agree that a 442 should have been used at certain points against Hungary and the Swiss, Shankland, Forrest, Morgan should have got more minutes. I also agree with a number of posts that state McTominey should not be taking corners and most of our free kicks were garbage. All the talk is about Clarke staying or going but why no discussion about Austin McPhee and bye the way let's not forget it was Clarke who wanted him appointed,  surely he could have worked with Robertson, Ralston, or Gilmore or McGregor to take decent corners and free kicks and have a decent system in place, that allowed our main strikers and scorers in McGinn and McTominey to get into scoring positions,  the set plays we had were utter shyte. I saw Mcphee wandering about with his fone taking selfies as if he was on a jolly boys outing, if anybody needs the boot it's him. even Clark lost it with him on the touchline. In saying all that friendlies or not 1 win in 12 is just not good enough, tactics not good enough, press comments shameful so maybe both need their p45's.

Something to think about.  Euro qualification was a decent achievement but when you look at results they were poor getting beat 4 -0 away to Russia and 2-1 at home, 3-0 and 4-0 to Belgium and sneaking in v penalties v Israel and Serbia. We also missed out in qualification for world cup and were garbage in both euros we attended with a record of 4 defeats two draws no wins 12 goals conceded only 3 scored and in 12 games 28 goals scored against us. Clarke's comment about the ref was a disgrace. 

really? you should have mentioned this before🤣

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Is this guy just copying and pasting his previous posts?

In his defence, our mods if we have any dont Shepherd conversations on topic. We now have this one and the very next one discussing Clarke. The poll on this one was a good idea. 

Guest bigfathagiz
51 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Clarke will not be there forever.  Here are some names that have been mentioned, Moyes, Alex Neil, Scott Gemmill, Ally McCoist, Rino Gattuso, Derek McInnes, Russel Martin, Darren and Duncan Ferguson, Gary McAllister, Scott Brown, I am sure there will be many more. For me I would want a passionate Scot a guy that will ruffle some feathers, a guy who will look alive and not dead like Clarke,  the guy looks like he is either on sleeping pills or totally disinterested. A guy who will get the best out of his players and will thrive in the media circus and give us Scots a fecking laff if nothing else....so I propose Davie Martindale has never played professional fitbaw, owened a pub, been in prison, according to wiki he was involved in Cocaine and money laundering but he has a great personality works hard, has done a great job at a club that are always skint, does not take any bullshit and most of all listens to the fans. So for me Martindale for manager, what a guy. True as they come, mended his ways went to uni and now a proper fitbaw guy.

Guest bigfathagiz
6 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Is this guy just copying and pasting his previous posts?

yes i am and you know it.....the thing is the post is relevant to this poll and others may not have seen it, why reinvent the wheel.

Just now, bigfathagiz said:

Clarke will not be there forever.  Here are some names that have been mentioned, Moyes, Alex Neil, Scott Gemmill, Ally McCoist, Rino Gattuso, Derek McInnes, Russel Martin, Darren and Duncan Ferguson, Gary McAllister, Scott Brown, I am sure there will be many more. For me I would want a passionate Scot a guy that will ruffle some feathers, a guy who will look alive and not dead like Clarke,  the guy looks like he is either on sleeping pills or totally disinterested. A guy who will get the best out of his players and will thrive in the media circus and give us Scots a fecking laff if nothing else....so I propose Davie Martindale has never played professional fitbaw, owened a pub, been in prison, according to wiki he was involved in Cocaine and money laundering but he has a great personality works hard, has done a great job at a club that are always skint, does not take any bullshit and most of all listens to the fans. So for me Martindale for manager, what a guy. True as they come, mended his ways went to uni and now a proper fitbaw guy.

With the exception of Moyes and possibly Neil, those are some of the worst shouts for scotland manager I have ever seen

Guest bigfathagiz
4 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

With the exception of Moyes and possibly Neil, those are some of the worst shouts for scotland manager I have ever seen

i would have any of them over Clarke.

6 minutes ago, bigfathagiz said:

I dont know wether to take you seriously. Mccoist, gemmell, Darren fucking Ferguson lol. Duncan Ferguson, Scott brown.

I genuinely had a good laugh at those suggestions. 

Out.

It's not even his negative tactics, its his baffling squad selections and failure to adapt when needed.

I like Clarke but he hasn't done anything of note... he came in at a turning point, when we managed to have an easy qualifying route to 2020.

No idea what happened in our 2024 qualifying, but wish we would get that lucky more often.

Problem is, who is going to replace him?

7 minutes ago, bigfathagiz said:

yes i am and you know it.....the thing is the post is relevant to this poll and others may not have seen it, why reinvent the wheel.

I didn't know it. I don't have time to read your lengthy drivels and cross check them with your previous lengthy drivels lol 😂 

Guest bigfathagiz
1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

I dont know wether to take you seriously. Mccoist, gemmell, Darren fucking Ferguson lol. Duncan Ferguson, Scott brown.

I genuinely had a good laugh at those suggestions. 

I never came up with them as in my original post i said "here are some that have been mentioned" I heard these names from a variety of sources Skysports, talksport, bbc, itv, newspapers, social media etc etc.....only one i came up with was the livvy manager and that was tongue in cheek.