Accountability - the supporters - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Accountability - the supporters

vanderark14

Does anyone else think the support should be taking a bugger role in holding the team accountable?

I do enjoy having the reputation of being a great support but sometimes I feel out support needs to be more vocal when we are displeased at performances. 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Does anyone else think the support should be taking a bugger role in holding the team accountable?

I do enjoy having the reputation of being a great support but sometimes I feel out support needs to be more vocal when we are displeased at performances. 

I’m not saying we shouldn’t be more vocal but shagging the players up the arse is taking it a wee bit too far. 🤣🤣

8 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

We haven't had much to complain about until our humping on Friday night.

Fair enough we have been shite in friendlies recently but they were against top sides. 

I can't think of many competitive games in clarkes reign where the fans were justified in being really pissed off.

Ukraine, Ireland and Germany are the only ones I can think off and even the Ukraine one is a bit harsh considering they are a decent team and we are not necessarily expected to beat them. 

Said for a while  and been shouted down for it ( fair enough), but I'd like to see us gey rid of the 'No Scotland,  No Party' stuff - Can't control the fans, but SFA could stop using it, playing it at Hampden etc. 

Clarke should have made it clear to the players at least that this is a 'business trip' we're not going to be the cabaret.

I understand totally how younger fans may feel differently but as someone of a 'certain age' the novelty of qualifying, talking big, hype, expectation, then shitting in the nest and failing to lay a glove on teams on the park, being first team home, but dining out on stories of how great the fans were till the next tournament wore off a long time ago

24 minutes ago, Marky said:

I’m not saying we shouldn’t be more vocal but shagging the players up the arse is taking it a wee bit too far. 🤣🤣

😆 🤣 😂 

36 minutes ago, Marky said:

Some folk are claiming they had stage fright, but if that was the potential punishment for a poor result, that would really put the shits up em.

1 hour ago, DoonTheSlope said:

I’m sick of saying it. We as a fanbase are our own worst enemies

I don't think the fans have as much impact on the abilities of the players as you seem to think?

29 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I don't think the fans have as much impact on the abilities of the players as you seem to think?

I don’t particularly mean the performance on the park. I’m talking about our overall bending over to battered up the balloon knot to the SFA

One thing that will have to change is our performance in friendlies; taking humping after humping has done nothing for our confidence. Also - ranking points are at stake and if we want to be serial qualifiers we need to move up the rankings or we will continue to get tough group after tough group. I hope Clarke hammers home the latter point.

Our group have talked about this for sometime

Fuck being continually rag dolled when it matters and banging on about the banter we had

If only I had a Euro for every time I heard 'never mind, we're still the best fans' (Or similar) when walking back from the Allianz on Friday night

Pushing water uphill springs to mind 🙄

So, for what it's worth.... I was thinking this morning, about sections of our fan base...the ones who claim " what do you expect, we are a small nation"

"Our level will always be,...qualify occasionally, but just a group stage team" etc etc

Tell that to Wales, Croatia,Belgium, Switzerland,Portugal,Greece etc... often qualify and/or reach later stages..

WE AS FANS PAY MORE, ATTEND MORE...Yet we have no football identity and just bounce from poor manager, to poor manager... WE SHOULD BE HOLDING OUR FA TO ACCOUNT, BUT WE NEVER DO...that makes US the problem.

On 6/16/2024 at 9:07 AM, Robbo `81 said:

Said for a while  and been shouted down for it ( fair enough), but I'd like to see us gey rid of the 'No Scotland,  No Party' stuff - Can't control the fans, but SFA could stop using it, playing it at Hampden etc. 

Clarke should have made it clear to the players at least that this is a 'business trip' we're not going to be the cabaret.

I understand totally how younger fans may feel differently but as someone of a 'certain age' the novelty of qualifying, talking big, hype, expectation, then shitting in the nest and failing to lay a glove on teams on the park, being first team home, but dining out on stories of how great the fans were till the next tournament wore off a long time ago

TBF, I’m 43 and this is my first proper tournament. I’m probably one of the oldest first timers. 

A year older in 98 and I’d have ventured out with my mates. 

I can see why people want to party.

J

10 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

TBF, I’m 43 and this is my first proper tournament. I’m probably one of the oldest first timers. 

A year older in 98 and I’d have ventured out with my mates. 

I can see why people want to party.

J

I hear you mate - I'm a decade older and was at 96 & 98. I get the fans attitude going into Germany after so long, I just feel the SFA and Team could have done a wee bit more to emphasise that they are taking these seriously- I mean, I'm sure they are, but, like it or not, perception matters.

John McGinn , for instance, may be about to find this out - Scotland win next 2 games and go into last 16 NO-ONE is talking about him dancing about like a t!t when the team arrived...he's just having a good time, showing what a jolly good sport he is joining in, nothing to see here, move along

Scotland lose next two games however...

Another poor performance tonight and I think the mood of the fans will change.

The least this team owes its fans - and itself - is a really good, battling performance.

17 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Agreed. This “no Scotland no party pish” when we are being pumped is frankly embarrassing.

much preferred our response in Argentina when results were poor.

But that same support were pre-tournament acting like England supporters do today. Our support back then was a very different breed.

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

But that same support were pre-tournament acting like England supporters do today. Our support back then was a very different breed.

Right wing reform or tory voters? well thats why Malcolm would've loved it back then

10 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

some of our support still act like England supporters now.  Those singing “Lizzies in a box” is our equivalent of 10 German bombers.  Again embarrassing.

10 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Right wing reform or tory voters? well thats why Malcolm would've loved it back then

from memory, it would have been a left wing support back then but it was labour not snp.  Back in the day there was the BNP which had a section of the English support, but it was more metropolitan English club thing.

7 hours ago, Malcolm said:

some of our support still act like England supporters now.  Those singing “Lizzies in a box” is our equivalent of 10 German bombers.  Again embarrassing.

Horse shit. I have been out here for well over a week travelling through boisterous Scotland fans outside bars and clubs across Germany and never once heard that song. Take a look at YouTube where videos of our support has been put up (not by Scots) but by Germans etc praising our behaviour and goodwill/spirit and good nature. 

Edited by Caledonian Craig