A new low? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

A new low?

exile

Traditionally, we mostly lose our first game in a tournament. Is this the worst?

Peru was bad, as expectation was higher. Costa Rica a scaled down version of that.

Czech Republic was very poor, losing inexplicably poorly to a middling side, at home. 

I feel sorry for the kids. A new generation experiencing the shattered hope of tournament football.

Edited by exile

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night is as brutal as I can remember. Up there with our worst defeats in modern times. 

Only ones that compare since the late 90s are Morocco 3 nil and Holland 6 nil. 

Last night was especially tough considering it was the opening game and we had the false hope and expectations that Scotland fans always have. 

Our level of performance was also poor beyond belief. We genuinely looked like a semi pro team. 

I opened this thread expecting it to be about the violent scenes in the Scotland end at half time

I saw things last night that I’ve before witnessed before while on manoeuvres. That’s before the pathetic Englandesque throwing of tumblers in the air at the goal

A new low indeed

Extremely deflated this morning. I had a nervous excitement in the build up to kick off in the hope we could pull off a result. Team just seemed to turn up and roll over. 

Edited by supersub

This is the worst I’ve felt since Morocco 98.  I never expected much from the game apart from dig, fight and making Germany sweat for it but that was just car crash stuff - Germany could have scored as many as they wanted.

Half arsed closing down in dribs and drabs - like they didn’t want be there FFS

It was always going to be the case that we needed things to go for us to get some sort of a result.

1. Play close to our best. We were way below that.

2. Avoid losing an early goal. We shipped one inside the first ten minutes.

3. Our most influential and best players to put in a half decent shift. That didn't happen.

And we certainly could not afford a player to be sent off. Everything that could go wrong last night did.

Where do we go from here? I really don't know but the players need to lift themselves then lift the fans after such a miserable night and performance.

A team of players that absolutely shat their knickers...simple as that, couldn't handle the environment they found themselves in.

I look at the clubs some of these players play for and wonder if that blinds us into believing they are better than they actually are...not one of them came out of last night with any credit.

Was McTominay fit?

Were rumours of McGregor struggling to make the match true?

Does John McGinn carry too much weight?

Is Robertson on the decline?

Should Jack Hendry continue to be called up from that mad league he plays in? 

Where do we find our next good goalkeeper?

The right back situation is terrifying...how do we solve that?

1 hour ago, exile said:

Traditionally, we mostly lose our first game in a tournament. Is this the worst?

Peru was bad, as expectation was higher. Costa Rica a scaled down version of that.

Czech Republic was very poor, losing inexplicably poorly to a middling side, at home. 

I feel sorry for the kids. A new generation experiencing the shattered hope of tournament football.

Without wanting to sound defensive and naively loyal, my only optimistic explanation is that they all treated that as a loss in their minds from the outset. Almost as though it didn't matter because everyone expected Germany to win. "We just need to get the game out the way then get 4 points from the other 2" sort of approach. However, they didn't factor in still having to actually play at all to avoid such a heavy defeat. If (big if) this is the case then there is still some hope for Wed onwards but otherwise then folk here are right about the last year's poor run of results being a true indication of some players' decline and/or lack of fitness. I don't really know what to say about Clarke though, was surprised to see the public display of disharmony. 

You're right about the kids thing too. They were still queued out of JD Sports yesterday. 

Aye that was the worst. At least in these other games we had the ball now and again. Last night was easily the most inept, cowardly display ever put on by a team representing Scotland. It was worse than I could even have imagined in my worst nightmares.

Most of these players will have to be called on next game though. As horrifying as it is, there's a big drop-off in quality between that utter sh*te and their replacements. Except for Gunn. He should already be on a flight home.

It’s hard not to feel that the performances in the first 5 games of this campaign have been the outliers in terms of quality. Even we we qualified for 2020 we didn’t exactly set the Heather on fire on the way there. 

I had said repeatedly I was going to write off the Germany match and all that was important was a half decent performance, just put in a shift and give us something close to Spain away.

What we got was an annihilation with nothing positive to take away from the match. 

What ever magic we had in those early qualifiers has now evaporated into thin air. 

We are going to need a miracle and I don’t think we have one. 

All I can see that may help is to play Gilmour and start Conway and hope that he is an undiscovered gem. Sorry to the Shankland fans out there but playing him won’t help things. 

1 hour ago, StirlingEgg said:

Without wanting to sound defensive and naively loyal, my only optimistic explanation is that they all treated that as a loss in their minds from the outset. Almost as though it didn't matter because everyone expected Germany to win. "We just need to get the game out the way then get 4 points from the other 2" sort of approach. However, they didn't factor in still having to actually play at all to avoid such a heavy defeat. If (big if) this is the case then there is still some hope for Wed onwards but otherwise then folk here are right about the last year's poor run of results being a true indication of some players' decline and/or lack of fitness. I don't really know what to say about Clarke though, was surprised to see the public display of disharmony. 

You're right about the kids thing too. They were still queued out of JD Sports yesterday. 

I'm sure I heard Robertson calling it a free hit which worried me as I just think it's a bit defeatist.

The positives are no injuries but that's about it.

I suppose if we're going to have one terrible performance, it's better it comes in a game we'd probably have lost anyway...

41 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Aye that was the worst. At least in these other games we had the ball now and again. Last night was easily the most inept, cowardly display ever put on by a team representing Scotland. It was worse than I could even have imagined in my worst nightmares.

Most of these players will have to be called on next game though. As horrifying as it is, there's a big drop-off in quality between that utter sh*te and their replacements. Except for Gunn. He should already be on a flight home.

You seriously saying that Clark and Kelly are better than Gunn?

14 minutes ago, NSIGN said:

I had said repeatedly I was going to write off the Germany match and all that was important was a half decent performance, just put in a shift and give us something close to Spain away.

What we got was an annihilation with nothing positive to take away from the match. 

What ever magic we had in those early qualifiers has now evaporated into thin air. 

We are going to need a miracle and I don’t think we have one. 

All I can see that may help is to play Gilmour and start Conway and hope that he is an undiscovered gem. Sorry to the Shankland fans out there but playing him won’t help things. 

Conway could be worth a gamble although why Shankland has to get brought into the criticism I don't get. He came on with 10 minutes to go and us 4-0 down. Did anybody even manage to pass the ball to him? 

11 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Conway could be worth a gamble although why Shankland has to get brought into the criticism I don't get. He came on with 10 minutes to go and us 4-0 down. Did anybody even manage to pass the ball to him? 

I prefer Shankland over Adams but my point was more that Conway is a player we haven’t seen a lot of and seems to be the only player in the squad who’s an unknown quantity with the potential to surprise us all (like Gilmour against England). 

Witnessed 3 0 Morocco in St Etienne, and the 6 0 in Amsterdam. However, Last night was brutal, a new level of embarrassing 

Left at half time

Will head back over to Cologne on Tue. More of the same and I won't even bother with Stuttgart

I've seen us turn in abject displays during qualifying games in the past but I can't remember a finals game where we were as desperately poor as we were last night. Not even close.

Costa Rica in 1990, for instance, was embarrassing at the time, but my recollection of that match was that Costa Rica created one good chance and scored from it, whereas we created several but took none of them. One of those games where we could have played until midnight and still not scored.

I expected Germany to win last night but I expected them to have to work for it; something akin to the game against Spain last autumn. To not even register a shot on goal last night is unforgivable.

Having slept on it, I think a lot of this comes down to confidence. Scottish players don’t tend to have much of it naturally. They don’t tend to believe in their own ability - they need built up - but if you can instil confidence in them then they will perform above themselves.

In the first seven games of the qualifying campaign, we were watching a settled side playing with confidence. Last night, we watched a team who didn’t believe they could compete with the opposition and didn’t really want to try. Like night and day.

I’m thinking that the tough sequence of friendlies we had (France/England/Netherlands) was, in retrospect, a really bad decision. Our form had understandably dropped off after we qualified, and then we launched into a sequence of games against really good teams, and by the end of that, our confidence was shot. If we hadn’t had that collapse after playing well v the Netherlands, that would have helped. Holding out for 2-0 v Finland would doubtless have helped as well. But the confidence has gone, and we only have a few days to get it back.

Our defence in particular is very weak for this level of football. Hanley and Porteous play second tier football in England, Hendry plays in Saudi Arabia, McKenna couldn’t get a game for a team that just avoided relegation. Bluntly speaking, it just isn’t good enough. Our midfield is generally better, but last night nobody turned up. Not a single one of them. It’s like when teams play OF sides in Scotland - even when the OF team isn’t that great, in 80% of games the other team are beaten in their heads before a ball is kicked. That was Scotland last night.

i said before the tournament that we were likely to go out having not scored.  I was wrong about that.  Turns out we did score.  We need a big reaction on Wednesday but we are  minnows

8 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

i said before the tournament that we were likely to go out having not scored.  I was wrong about that.  Turns out we did score.  We need a big reaction on Wednesday but we are  minnows

I mean, we didn't score...