Euro 2024 General discussion of tournament & teams' progress - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 2024 General discussion of tournament & teams' progress

exile

14 hours ago, exile said:

Clutching at straws here, but I have a memory that some team(s) have come back from a 4-0 reverse to qualify?

I seem to remember USSR beating Hungary 6-0... Hungary didn't qualify

Russia beat the Czech Republic 4-1 in 2012 but the Czechs ended up going through as group winners (and the Russians were eliminated, weirdly!).

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Russia beat the Czech Republic 4-1 in 2012 but the Czechs ended up going through as group winners (and the Russians were eliminated, weirdly!).

Thanks! I'm not sure if that's the one I thought I remembered. But it could serve.

The only other bad first-day score I remember was I think Greece, who were beaten 4-0 by Argentina in 1994.  They were then beaten 4-0 by Bulgaria and then 2-0 by Nigeria. 

12 minutes ago, exile said:

Thanks! I'm not sure if that's the one I thought I remembered. But it could serve.

The only other bad first-day score I remember was I think Greece, who were beaten 4-0 by Argentina in 1994.  They were then beaten 4-0 by Bulgaria and then 2-0 by Nigeria. 

The Greeks were shockingly bad in that tournament. I think there was a fly-on-the-wall documentary made about their campaign too, as it was their first World Cup finals. I hope no one's decided to make one about our current Euros campaign! 😂

I was reminded of that Russia v Czech Republic game because in the same tournament the Republic of Ireland were cuffed so badly by Spain that I felt sorry for them, but I couldn't remember the final score. I had assumed the defeat must've been heavier than the one we suffered last night but I looked it up and actually the Spanish "only" won 4-0.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

So, it's all set up for Germany to beat Hungary 6-0 to get our hopes up again. Then we draw 0-0 in our last game with Hungary and go out. 

Or, Germany beat Hungary 5-1. Switzerland draw with both Hungary and ourselves. We finish our game with Hungary at 0-0. (I'm not expecting us to score any goals.) Then we have to wait 10 minutes for the injury time to be played out in the  Germany v Switzerland game, to discover that Switzerland have sneaked a draw to finish 2nd. We would then need to have a penalty shootout with Hungary to decide who gets 3rd place knowing fine well that it's probably going to be irrelevant anyway. Imagine winning that shootout on the Sunday and then having to wait until Wednesday to find out that we had definitely been knocked out. 😂

30 minutes ago, exile said:

The sides I can find who got out of the group stage (Euros/World Cup) after getting hammered (three or more goals) in their opening game (including those mentioned):

• North Korea (WC 1966): lost 3-0 to the USSR; drew 1-1 with Chile; beat Italy 1-0. Lost 5-3 in Portugal in the quarter-finals.
  • Yugoslavia (WC 1990): lost 4-1 to Germany; beat Colombia 1-0; beat UAE 4-1. Beat Spain 2-1 in the Last 16 (aet); lost on penalties to Argentina.
  • Bulgaria (WC 1994): lost 3-0 to Nigeria; beat Greece 4-0; beat Argentina 2-0. In the knockouts: beat Mexico on penalties; beat Germany 2-1; lost 2-1 to Italy in the semis.
  • Ukraine (WC 2006): lost 4-0 to Spain; beat Saudi Arabia 4-0; beat Tunisia 1-0. Beat Switzerland on penalties, before losing 3-0 to Italy in the quarter-finals.
  • Russia (Euro 2008): lost 4-1 to Spain; beat Greece 1-0; beat Sweden 2-0. Ended up reaching the semis after an extra-time win over the Dutch and lost 3-0 to Spain in the semis.
  • Czech Rep (Euro 2012): lost 4-1 to Russia; beat Greece 2-1; beat Poland 1-0. Lost 1-0 to Portugal in the quarter-finals.
  • Australia (WC 2022): lost 4-1 to France; beat Tunisia 1-0; beat Denmark 1-0. Lost 2-1 to Argentina in the Last 16.

5 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

The sides I can find who got out of the group stage (Euros/World Cup) after getting hammered (three or more goals) in their opening game (including those mentioned):

• North Korea (WC 1966): lost 3-0 to the USSR; drew 1-1 with Chile; beat Italy 1-0. Lost 5-3 in Portugal in the quarter-finals.
  • Yugoslavia (WC 1990): lost 4-1 to Germany; beat Colombia 1-0; beat UAE 4-1. Beat Spain 2-1 in the Last 16 (aet); lost on penalties to Argentina.
  • Bulgaria (WC 1994): lost 3-0 to Nigeria; beat Greece 4-0; beat Argentina 2-0. In the knockouts: beat Mexico on penalties; beat Germany 2-1; lost 2-1 to Italy in the semis.
  • Ukraine (WC 2006): lost 4-0 to Spain; beat Saudi Arabia 4-0; beat Tunisia 1-0. Beat Switzerland on penalties, before losing 3-0 to Italy in the quarter-finals.
  • Russia (Euro 2008): lost 4-1 to Spain; beat Greece 1-0; beat Sweden 2-0. Ended up reaching the semis after an extra-time win over the Dutch and lost 3-0 to Spain in the semis.
  • Czech Rep (Euro 2012): lost 4-1 to Russia; beat Greece 2-1; beat Poland 1-0. Lost 1-0 to Portugal in the quarter-finals.
  • Australia (WC 2022): lost 4-1 to France; beat Tunisia 1-0; beat Denmark 1-0. Lost 2-1 to Argentina in the Last 16.

Thanks! So there is precedent at least, of overturning a 4 goal loss in the first game, and getting to the quarter finals!

It's OK, I am not getting delusional expectations here. Just, we need a mentality that it has been done before, it is doable, it can be turned around. We can't afford to go in to the next game believing we're as good as beaten. 

3 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Suppose we want Switzerland and Hungary to draw today?

Hmmm.... hard to say really. I suppose if you still think we have a chance of 2nd place, then a draw would be better. But if one of them was to lose, then it might give us a better chance of getting third place? 

Is there actually any coming back from last night? I have to say that I'm not really sure now. McGinn is probably exhausted but I think played every minute of the two friendlies, McGregor is off it and is McTominay actually fit? I'm reminded of losing to Ukraine in the WC play off then getting beaten 3-0 off Ireland in Dublin.

1 minute ago, BryanBlessed said:

Is there actually any coming back from last night? I have to say that I'm not really sure now. McGinn is probably exhausted but I think played every minute of the two friendlies, McGregor is off it and is McTominay actually fit? I'm reminded of losing to Ukraine in the WC play off then getting beaten 3-0 off Ireland in Dublin.

If we play like we did last night then we will lose both our next two games comfortably. But if we can get back to the form that we showed against Spain, twice, then we might manage to win a game which could be enough for 3rd place, and sneak into the next round. It's early days but going by the SUI v HUN game, it looks like Hungary have also shat it. Let's see of they can recover from a bad start better than we did.

This team has consistantly shown, it can't play 2 matches in quick succession... then again, did they actually play last night.

We are out, if u think those players can look good v Swiss or Hungary, u are off your rocker. 1 win v gibralter in ao many matches.

Too many unfit, too many off form, and a manager that's lost the plot, though he never did have a clue.

Oh but...Kilmarnock. ffs

21 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

If we play like we did last night then we will lose both our next two games comfortably. But if we can get back to the form that we showed against Spain, twice, then we might manage to win a game which could be enough for 3rd place, and sneak into the next round. It's early days but going by the SUI v HUN game, it looks like Hungary have also shat it. Let's see of they can recover from a bad start better than we did.

I think the turnaround is too short but we can but hope. 

Hungary look as bad defensively as us. On the other hand, Xhaka is bossing the midfield. Our midfield is supposed to be our best area but not sure we have anyone as good as him...If we can scrape a draw against Switzerland, maybe I'll start to be more optimistic.

Last night was tough to take but if we were going to have a nightmare performance where we didn’t turn up then the Germany game was the best one for that to happen. 

The players should have a point to prove on Wednesday and should play much, much better. 

If they don’t then serious questions will need to be asked of the players and manager. 

Penalty given for Croatia, but looks like a dive.

EDIT: Given and saved, but Croatia score the rebound. Goal disallowed due to a Croatian encroachment before the penalty was taken.

Edited by Clyde1998

1 minute ago, Hertsscot said:

Certainly looked like a dive from the views shown on the tv

Noticed they showed it once and haven't shown it again. Does seem like justice the goal from the penalty was disallowed.

This is how I see our campaign going, draw against switzerland ,beat Hungary and go out on goal difference as the germans scored more against us than they will against switzerland and hungary, you heard it here first

1 minute ago, davierobbsagod said:

This is how I see our campaign going, draw against switzerland ,beat Hungary and go out on goal difference as the germans scored more against us than they will against switzerland and hungary, you heard it here first

If we beat Hungary then the most points that they could get is 3 and that's assuming they beat Germany. If we get 4 points (aye right 😂) then we could go out as one of the two worst 3rd place teams but that would be very unlikely.

6 hours ago, Orraloon said:

With our goal difference 3 points can't possibly be enough, unless we win our one game by a significant margin