Euro 2024 General discussion of tournament & teams' progress - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 2024 General discussion of tournament & teams' progress

exile

10 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

@McTeeko is that email real? The one doing the rounds on social media

If so, it's fucking brilliant

Aye. Just a daft wee tweet I made after the wife messaged me to remind school the wee man won’t be there from the morn! It’s gone mental! 😆🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, Marky said:

The reality is it should have mattered because in theory if we’d won the group we should’ve got an easier draw in the finals but as you say, check out Spain’s draw. I sure as hell wouldn’t swap our group for theirs. 

I think that I might? Mibbees? We would beat Albania, and just need to take a point from one of our other two games, to get through in third place. I'm not confident we will win any games in our group.

1 hour ago, McTeeko said:

Aye. Just a daft wee tweet I made after the wife messaged me to remind school the wee man won’t be there from the morn! It’s gone mental! 😆🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

😂

7 hours ago, Dodger said:

Yes clearly. Hendry was offside and the only reason he was there was to disrupt the keeper so it's not a goal. 

If he's offside then var make that decision, why does the ref need to go to the monitor for offside?

11 minutes ago, todd said:

If he's offside then var make that decision, why does the ref need to go to the monitor for offside?

To see whether, in his opinion, Hendry is interfering enough for him to be "active".

It's a reason they could use, but we know the goal wasn't given because of an offside. The fact he was offside was just a bonus they noticed after the fact.

It was clearly initially given for a foul on the keeper even though there wasn't one.

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I think that I might? Mibbees? We would beat Albania, and just need to take a point from one of our other two games, to get through in third place. I'm not confident we will win any games in our group.

Aye in fairness that’s no a bad take.

Although your mibbes a wee bit overconfident about beating Albania 🤣

5 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I’m not sure I’d fancy having to “just” take a point from Italy or Croatia although 3 points from beating Albania might have been enough to get through as long as we didn’t get thrashed by the other two. 

Personally I prefer the group we are in because Switzerland and Hungary are very winnable games (easily losable as well right enough) and Albania is the sort of Iran/Peru/Costa Rica nightmare we could do without. 

13 hours ago, Marky said:

Aye in fairness that’s no a bad take.

Although your mibbes a wee bit overconfident about beating Albania 🤣

This is no time for negative Normans. 😂

I have to say that although I have misgivings about our defence, I think we're being seriously underestimated by the British media in the run up to this tournament. The last time we had anything to play for was against Spain in Seville. I've somehow become optimistic as the day draws nearer.  If our main players can stay fit, we could be the surprise package.

14 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

I have to say that although I have misgivings about our defence, I think we're being seriously underestimated by the British media in the run up to this tournament. The last time we had anything to play for was against Spain in Seville. I've somehow become optimistic as the day draws nearer.  If our main players can stay fit, we could be the surprise package.

It's the hope that kills you!  I'm much the same - there was 25 minutes of the second half v Finland where we didn't look flat and sh!t that I'm completely clinging to.  

Mentioned it before but the Swiss qualification was unspectacular as they only won 4 games and 2 of those were against the bottom seed drawing 5 times including twice with Kosovo then finished second to Romania.  Hungary pissed their group in fairness but there was none of the traditional big hitters in it.  

I can also see us getting knocked out on 4 points so emotional rollercoaster awaits! 

34 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

It's the hope that kills you!  I'm much the same - there was 25 minutes of the second half v Finland where we didn't look flat and sh!t that I'm completely clinging to.  

Mentioned it before but the Swiss qualification was unspectacular as they only won 4 games and 2 of those were against the bottom seed drawing 5 times including twice with Kosovo then finished second to Romania.  Hungary pissed their group in fairness but there was none of the traditional big hitters in it.  

I can also see us getting knocked out on 4 points so emotional rollercoaster awaits! 

i suspect there is nothing in it between Germany and Hungary. The Swiss and us are the two weaker teams.

we have two problems- defence and attack.  An in form Dykes would make all the difference.

A lot of pundits seem to be talking Hungary up - and us down - but outwith their attacking midfielder from Liverpool whose name I know but can't spell, there isn't any great gulf in quality between us and them that I can detect. We both have roughly the same number of players playing for clubs in the top tier of major European leagues, as well a fair few from the second tier and our own domestic leagues.

In qualifying they beat Serbia home and away - which is impressive - and they went unbeaten, but the group we qualified from - with games to spare - was more difficult (my heart sank when I saw we'd drawn Spain, Norway and Georgia).

Being dispassionate, I'd say the presence of the good player with the difficult to spell name from Liverpool gives Hungary the edge, but on paper Switzerland have the strongest squad in the group after Germany, IMO.

8 minutes ago, scotlad said:

A lot of pundits seem to be talking Hungary up - and us down - but outwith their attacking midfielder from Liverpool whose name I know but can't spell, there isn't any great gulf in quality between us and them that I can detect. We both have roughly the same number of players playing for clubs in the top tier of major European leagues, as well a fair few from the second tier and our own domestic leagues.

In qualifying they beat Serbia home and away - which is impressive - and they went unbeaten, but the group we qualified from - with games to spare - was more difficult (my heart sank when I saw we'd drawn Spain, Norway and Georgia).

Being dispassionate, I'd say the presence of the good player with the difficult to spell name from Liverpool gives Hungary the edge, but on paper Switzerland have the strongest squad in the group after Germany, IMO.

Hungary on paper are pretty average. I would say we have a slightly better first team. 

Saying that their results in the past 3 or 4 years are amazing. They must be able to play well as a team which is maybe more worrying than Switzerland who have a much stronger squad than both of us.

8 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

We're also due a bit of tournament luck which we've never really had (maybe except the 0-0 agains the Netherlands in 1996 where John Collins got away with a handball).  We can only hope!

19 hours ago, scotlad said:

Just like the last tournament, I think our first 11 on paper is actually very good and if our opponents do their homework properly, they will fear us a little.

I know a lot of people point to the fact we have a handful of English Championship players in our squad, but that is the 8th highest represented league at this tournament. Anyone that knows a lot about football shouldn't underestimate guys from that league. Especially if they have previously played at a higher level (Adams, Hanley, Cooper, Armstrong, McLean)

Besides that, I genuinely think we have some very high quality players. Tierney, Robertson, McTominay, Gilmour and McGinn being our 5 best. McGregor and Christie aren't far behind in terms of quality either. Then we have a handful of centre backs that is a toss up of who should play.

I think this tournament could be the making of Ralston. I'm predicting that he'll be our surprise package of the tournament.

Edited by Tartan blood

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Just like the last tournament, I think our first 11 on paper is actually very good and if our opponents do their homework properly, they will fear us a little.

I know a lot of people point to the fact we have a handful of English Championship players in our squad, but that is the 8th highest represented league at this tournament. Anyone that knows a lot about football shouldn't underestimate guys from that league. Especially if they have previously played at a higher level (Adams, Hanley, Cooper, Armstrong, McLean)

Besides that, I genuinely think we have some very high quality players. Tierney, Robertson, Gilmour and McGinn being our 4 best. McGregor and Christie aren't far behind in terms of quality either. Then we have a handful of centre backs that is a toss up of who should play.

I think this tournament could be the making of Ralston. I'm predicting that he'll be our surprise package of the tournament.

I'd add McTominay. If we could have 5 out of those 7 fit and (reasonably) on form, I'd be (reasonably) happy we could give it a good shot. If we were three of them or fewer, I'd be resigned to us not giving it our best shot.

Edited by exile

17 minutes ago, exile said:

I'd add McTominay. If we could have 5 out of those 7 fit and (reasonably) on form, I'd be (reasonably) happy we could give it a good shot. If we were three of them or fewer, I'd be resigned to us not giving it our best shot.

I editted it (not quickly enough) to include McTominay as well. 

As much as I'm devastated Hickey hasn't made it, he was 1 of 6 players that are high quality in our first 11. And if Ralston can perform how I think he can, then it won't necessarily be a huge loss to the team.

Fitting Christie into the starting 11 is the hard part. Unless he plays him deep (unlikely) then he'll probably be on the bench. Great option to have off the bench though.

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I editted it (not quickly enough) to include McTominay as well. 

As much as I'm devastated Hickey hasn't made it, he was 1 of 6 players that are high quality in our first 11. And if Ralston can perform how I think he can, then it won't necessarily be a huge loss to the team.

Fitting Christie into the starting 11 is the hard part. Unless he plays him deep (unlikely) then he'll probably be on the bench. Great option to have off the bench though.

Sure. I just remember that in 2021, the loss of Tierney and then Gilmour was a bit of a blow to morale, and thinking wouldn't it be nice if for once we could field our strongest side.

4 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Besides that, I genuinely think we have some very high quality players. Tierney, Robertson, McTominay, Gilmour and McGinn being our 5 best. McGregor and Christie aren't far behind in terms of quality either. Then we have a handful of centre backs that is a toss up of who should play.

The English Championship is a decent standard but there's a reason those players have yo-yoed between the Championship and the Prem, and that's because the step-up in class between the two leagues is marked, and they've played for teams who've been found out.

On the other hand, we have a few guys who not only feature regularly in top leagues but who are key players for their clubs; if they play as well as they can we'll have half a chance.

Clutching at straws here, but I have a memory that some team(s) have come back from a 4-0 reverse to qualify?

I seem to remember USSR beating Hungary 6-0... Hungary didn't qualify

2 hours ago, exile said:

Clutching at straws here, but I have a memory that some team(s) have come back from a 4-0 reverse to qualify?

Denmark put 6 past Uruguay in our group in 1986. You know what happened next 😖

6 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Ah yes, of course. I was actually thinking big loss in the first game. I have a vague feeling maybe has happened.  

14 hours ago, exile said:

12 hours ago, Toepoke said:

So, it's all set up for Germany to beat Hungary 6-0 to get our hopes up again. Then we draw 0-0 in our last game with Hungary and go out.