Euro 2024 General discussion of tournament & teams' progress - Page 32 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 2024 General discussion of tournament & teams' progress

exile

3 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Hello Nobby , good to hear from you ! 
Aye, will brighten up a Sunday night thats for sure , will need to give Songs of Praise a miss this week 😁

Can you get your wee boy Jack to bed he is spoiling our ‘ffs ‘ party 😉

I believe I was a tad impolite when I first posted on here which was about 20 years ago 😳 feck I’m old . Hopefully he’ll learn ! To be honest I have no fucking idea how we’ve got this far, but I’ll take it ! 

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

England deserved the win. Never a penalty but hey ho England were the better side for the most part. It was an odd game. England dominated the first half and came in all square, Netherlands had the better of the second half and lost. 

Spain have played the best football in the tournament but stars aligning for England as they are coming into form at the right time and getting decisions going their way. I am working Sunday evening so will miss the game. Spain to edge it.

22 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Hello Nobby , good to hear from you ! 
Aye, will brighten up a Sunday night thats for sure , will need to give Songs of Praise a miss this week 😁

Can you get your wee boy Jack to bed he is spoiling our ‘ffs ‘ party 😉

I'm just excited lad. Scottish through and through but England is my national team because grandpa was from Leeds!

8 hours ago, scotlad said:

👍

To be fair to the England players, most of them didn't make a fuss about it. I always go by the reaction of players, so for me that's very telling.

England were the better team. It wasn't a vintage Dutch team they were playing and the result is probably a fair one, but the officiating we saw tonight was questionable to say the least.

The thing is, mccoist doesn't have to lick their arse, he could give well balanced commentary. Roy Keane isn't a little house paddy, he gives his opinion and he's respected and often lauded for it. Mccoist plays the little hun house jock perfectly and he seems to have ramped it up ever since Scotland fans booed GSTK.

Get the cunt te fuck

Edited by vanderark14

England have been getting an effective bye into the semifinals at tournaments for a long time now. It has happened so many times I really don't think it can be 'luck' anymore. I suspect there are massive financial interests at work.

VAR just seems to be the way to cheat at key points rather than the way to eliminate dodgy refs. The ref in the England game had already been done for match fixing. Why is he even officiating at a major tournament.

I would not be at all surprised if something weird happened in the final, not that I will be watching.

Good morning all & I hope I find everyone well. It's many a moon since I was last on here but thought I'd drop by to reassure you all the chances of England winning it must be on a par with Huddersfield getting a wild card to the Champions League & putting 6 past Real Madrid.

A couple of observations:

1. Ally McCoist was annoying the f**k out of ME.
2. The couple of years I spent watching Town in the EPL & my one experience of VAR in a live game when we were cheated out of promotion have long since removed any doubt from my mind that football is at least partially rigged. Whether or not that's happened here, who knows.

I was a couple of months short of my 2nd birthday when England won the World Cup. I'm told I slept pretty much all through it. Which is weird, because here I am, a couple of months short of my 60th & the same thing keeps happening when England play.

I went to see us in the qualifiers...first time I've seen England live since the 1980s & even that was the most boring 7-0 I've ever seen.

Anyway, wish us luck 😉

I don't know why I am surprised. Football is so corrupt it is off the scale. Just look at FIFA/UEFA etc. It is hard to imagine how they could be more corrupt. So why would anyone think that the structures below them are honest. It is just ridiculous to think they would be. It is hard to prove anything but this tournament especially has really made me wonder... 

How many times in the past have we heard people say it looks much worse in slow motion... and that is exactly what they showed the ref in the England game over and over. They can twist anything to make it look bad or in other cases just ignore it.

That was never a penalty in a million years ... so why did he award it. 

8 hours ago, jack magnusson said:

I'm just excited lad. Scottish through and through but England is my national team because grandpa was from Leeds!

Awe look, a wee hun troll signed up to troll some Scotland fans. It's cute how much you and yer wee pals hate Scotland 

27 minutes ago, thplinth said:

I don't know why I am surprised. Football is so corrupt it is off the scale. Just look at FIFA/UEFA etc. It is hard to imagine how they could be more corrupt. So why would anyone think that the structures below them are honest. It is just ridiculous to think they would be. It is hard to prove anything but this tournament especially has really made me wonder... 

How many times in the past have we heard people say it looks much worse in slow motion... and that is exactly what they showed the ref in the England game over and over. They can twist anything to make it look bad or in other cases just ignore it.

That was never a penalty in a million years ... so why did he award it. 

Bat. Shit. Crazy!!!

Oh ok, FIFA is not corrupt and Sep Blatter was as honest as the day is long. Pig. Shit. Thick!!! 😃

But seriously I feel like football has been stolen off us. Be interested if anyone else feels similar.

Where it particularly surfaced for me was when all those mega clubs just casually announced they were forming the super league and effectively binning the hundred plus year histories of all the various national leagues they were raiding. They will come back to that... like a dog returning to its own vomit.

They are just going to fuck everything... it is absolutely guaranteed. Already happening... The game has become non contact near enough and VAR has broken the dynamic of it. I really would not be surprised if they started inserting commercial breaks 'while VAR makes up its mind' of course... 

And then you get to the prices... people are mad paying what they do for very often bland shite.

So much money involved, betting syndicates, the scope for corruption is immense and I think we are seeing it.

Edited by thplinth

19 minutes ago, immcinto said:

The scandal is that he didn't award it. VAR adjudged it to be a clear and obvious error on his part and then he awarded it.

The refs initial call was the right call

I often feel the ref is pressured into changing their mind in this situation

2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

The refs initial call was the right call

I often feel the ref is pressured into changing their mind in this situation

That is exactly what it was. The slow motion highlights he was shown over and over were down right deceptive as well. The whole thing totally stinks.

No one watching it thought it was a penalty so why does the one person who has massive experience watching football think it is. 

Every time we get one of the VAR howlers everyone says the same thing over and over again, it is baffling, I just cannot fathom the decision at all. Well that is typically what corruption feels like as well.

Seems like the VAR ref was looking for an opportunity and then presented it in a very deceptive way to the ref to either fool him or give him the excuse. It was a really dishonest call by the VAR ref. An obvious one as well. Who was it anyone know?

9 hours ago, Nobby said:

I believe I was a tad impolite when I first posted on here which was about 20 years ago 😳 feck I’m old . Hopefully he’ll learn ! To be honest I have no fucking idea how we’ve got this far, but I’ll take it ! 

You must have had the rough edges knocked off by the time I came on , you have always been fair and polite 😊 

Look forward to your biannual posts . Hope you are joining us for the after party on Sunday night. The rioja will be flowing 🇪🇸🏆💃   😉

2 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Seems like the VAR ref was looking for an opportunity and then presented it in a very deceptive way to the ref to either fool him or give him the excuse. It was a really dishonest call by the VAR ref. An obvious one as well. Who was it anyone know?

Doesn't really matter what the ref thinks once they are called over to the screen. Even if they think their initial decision is right it is too much of a pressure call to override VAR and put your career with UEFA in jeapordy. The whole screen thing is just a waste of time. 

I have some sympathy with the on-field ref as he was put in a difficult position by whoever it is behind the scenes that made that call 

I bought UEFAs stance on the Armstrong pen claim that it was not clear and obvious enough to overturn. I now want to hear how they can claim that last night was an obvious penalty.

The best team doesn't always win in tournaments like this. While England have had an easier path to the final, they have marginally improved (so I'm told, I've not seen any of their games). I think this suggests that Gareth Southgate has been able to adjust formations, tactics, player selection to deal with particular problems. All of which means that I can't shake off the image of England players coming off the plane at Heathrow with the trophy, saturated media coverage, kighthoods and OBEs scattered around like confetti, open top parade, official receptions at No 10, royalty garden parties, blah, blah, blah. Sadly I'l miss the final as my sock drawer badly needs sorted out.

This has perhaps been the most controversial refereeing appointment of the tournament, with UEFA handing the job to German official Felix Zwayer. The 42-year-old has plenty of big-match experience, not least the 2023 UEFA Nations League Final between Croatia and Spain, but his appointment has seen his role in a 2005 match-fixing scandal which saw him banned for six months in 2006 come back into the spotlight. 

That's largely because England midfielder Jude Bellingham was fined €40,000 back in 2021 for describing him as “a referee that has match-fixed before” following a clash between Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich in 2021 that saw Bayern awarded a controversial penalty.

Zwayer refereed Italy versus Albania and Turkey versus Portugal in the group stage at Euro 2024, plus the Netherlands' 3-0 last-16 win over Romania and will be joined by assistants Stefan Lupp and Marco Achmüller.

This all-German officiating crew will see Daniel Siebert as the fourth official, with the 39-year-old have refereed two matches in the group stage, plus games at Euro 2020 and the 2022 World Cup. 

Finally, Bastian Dankert will be on VAR duties and brings a decade's worth of experience as a FIFA-listed official. 

Seems legit. 😃

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/euro-2024-who-is-the-referee-and-var-for-england-vs-netherlands

You would think that getting caught match fixing for a professional referee would be a career ending event but no. Like having a judge found guilty of taking bribes being allowed back in the courtroom.

It must be pretty hard to get caught match fixing. So I would guess that was not his first time doing it.

Edited by thplinth

9 hours ago, jack magnusson said:

We were just discussing people like you and how we have never met one. Someone who in the face of it has nothing to do with England, is generations away from England but supports England.

FWIW my kids are in reverse. Born in England, half English, but Suppirt Scotland.

I know and have met plenty of Scotland fans with English accents, just never met any the other way round. Just assumed Scotland takes your National identity quicker than England.

J

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

England have been getting an effective bye into the semifinals at tournaments for a long time now. It has happened so many times I really don't think it can be 'luck' anymore. I suspect there are massive financial interests at work.

VAR just seems to be the way to cheat at key points rather than the way to eliminate dodgy refs. The ref in the England game had already been done for match fixing. Why is he even officiating at a major tournament.

I would not be at all surprised if something weird happened in the final, not that I will be watching.

Thing is, we saw the draw. Bar Germany it was totally random (seeding aside). It’s the other teams that have been shite.

Italy, Croatia, Belgium, France, Germany. Then your lower order teams Czechs, Ukraine, Hungary, Poland all could have caused England problems.

I mean holding Champions Italy FFS, what the hell?!?

That said, the time to snuff England out was Slovakias. Hold on for 90 seconds and go down in history. Nope.

J

1 hour ago, Huddersfield said:

Good morning all & I hope I find everyone well. It's many a moon since I was last on here but thought I'd drop by to reassure you all the chances of England winning it must be on a par with Huddersfield getting a wild card to the Champions League & putting 6 past Real Madrid.

A couple of observations:

1. Ally McCoist was annoying the f**k out of ME.
2. The couple of years I spent watching Town in the EPL & my one experience of VAR in a live game when we were cheated out of promotion have long since removed any doubt from my mind that football is at least partially rigged. Whether or not that's happened here, who knows.

I was a couple of months short of my 2nd birthday when England won the World Cup. I'm told I slept pretty much all through it. Which is weird, because here I am, a couple of months short of my 60th & the same thing keeps happening when England play.

I went to see us in the qualifiers...first time I've seen England live since the 1980s & even that was the most boring 7-0 I've ever seen.

Anyway, wish us luck 😉

Nice to see you back here again 🙂

Extremely envious of your team's progress, but it will be paella washed down with San Miguel for me on Sunday 🇪🇦

4 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

Thing is, we saw the draw. Bar Germany it was totally random (seeding aside). It’s the other teams that have been shite.

Italy, Croatia, Belgium, France, Germany. Then your lower order teams Czechs, Ukraine, Hungary, Poland all could have caused England problems.

I mean holding Champions Italy FFS, what the hell?!?

That said, the time to snuff England out was Slovakias. Hold on for 90 seconds and go down in history. Nope.

J

That was a pretty mediocre Dutch side but it was still the first 'big name' side that England had to play so far... and now they are in the final. 

This has happened many times as I can recall commenting on it before at world cups, euros going back twenty years. They typically do not have to play a strong side until they are in the semis. The phrase I used back then was it looks like it has been set-up for them... 

And then in the game against the Netherlands, the first 'big name' team they have faced, as soon as they go down a goal the VAR ref is pulling garbage out of thin air and gifting them a penalty... They sure are 'lucky'. 

I do think there is a big vested interest in seeing England win a tournament. Fortunately for us they have been (hilariously) reliable at screwing it up time and time again in all manner of amusing ways but we can't rely on that forever, sooner or later they are going to hit that barn door.