Euro 2024 General discussion of tournament & teams' progress - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 2024 General discussion of tournament & teams' progress

exile

It's a bit of a concern that Switzerland play Hungary in Cologne before us, and Hungary play Germany in Stuttgart before us. Both teams could have an advantage against us there.

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

It's a bit of a concern that Switzerland play Hungary in Cologne before us, and Hungary play Germany in Stuttgart before us. Both teams could have an advantage against us there.

Could work the other way if results go the way we want them to. 

When the draw was made I was reasonably happy that all our games were at night because it would be cooler but that doesn’t look like it will be an issue with the weather over there. 

57 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Sooner play Germany first than last for several reasons. Catch them cold before they have played their way into the tournament with first match nerves in play.

I’d probably rather have them last if they have already qualified for the second round but if one of the other teams had taken something from them playing them last would be a nightmare. 

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Just realised i completely misunderstood your point the first time I replied to it. I thought you meant the other teams playing earlier than us would give them an advantage. 

I doubt them having already played at the stadiums will give them an advantage. I hope not anyway. 

3 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Not sure what advantage that would give them. 🤔

3 hours ago, duncan II said:

Not sure what advantage that would give them. 🤔

They'll be more familiar with the pitch and surroundings. Might not make that big a difference but with fairly evenly matched teams it could come down to marginal stuff.

On 6/9/2024 at 8:51 PM, todd said:

Quite a long watch but imo, well worth it to get you in the mood 👍

Just watching that Norway game again, how galling it would have been to go down to a Haaland dodgy penalty

8 minutes ago, exile said:

Just watching that Norway game again, how galling it would have been to go down to a Haaland dodgy penalty

And seeing the McTominay "goal" against Spain disallowed (for some uncertain reason)... would have been harder to take if we hadn't qualified...

1 hour ago, exile said:

And seeing the McTominay "goal" against Spain disallowed (for some uncertain reason)... would have been harder to take if we hadn't qualified...

It was a sore one to take but it was clearly the correct decision

8 hours ago, Dodger said:

It was a sore one to take but it was clearly the correct decision

Which one - the apparent foul on the keeper or the offside decision 20 minutes later?

The question for me in all these type of things is would the bigger team have got the goal and in this instance I think if that was at the other end Spain get it all day.  

17 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Which one - the apparent foul on the keeper or the offside decision 20 minutes later?

The question for me in all these type of things is would the bigger team have got the goal and in this instance I think if that was at the other end Spain get it all day.  

Hendry was offside and interfering with play. The real scandal is VAR interfering in offside errors that are tiny and not clear and obvious.

42 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

Hendry was offside and interfering with play. The real scandal is VAR interfering in offside errors that are tiny and not clear and obvious.

Was he actually interfering with play though? I'm going from memory here but his foot was about a centimetre offside and the only person he was impeding, arguably, was the goalie, who, of course, has an advantage anyway because he's allowed to use his hands.

In any case, McTominay's shot went straight in; whether Hendry is there or not, there's no chance he was going to save it. And like Thistle Whistle says, if that situation is reversed there's no chance the goal would have been ruled out.

The thing for me about that goal was, OK Hendry was marginally offside and he did touch the keeper but the ball was so far above the keeper, he was never reaching it anyway. The damning thing was that none of the Spanish players protested, they accepted it was a goal. Knowing what they’re like, if they’d thought there was anything wrong the entire team would be surrounding the ref.

The fact it was changed from a foul to offside suggests they’re making it up as there going along, possibly to favour the ‘big’ team. Thankfully, it didn’t matter in the end. We could have won the group and got a harder Euro group.

30 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Was he actually interfering with play though? I'm going from memory here but his foot was about a centimetre offside and the only person he was impeding, arguably, was the goalie, who, of course, has an advantage anyway because he's allowed to use his hands.

In any case, McTominay's shot went straight in; whether Hendry is there or not, there's no chance he was going to save it. And like Thistle Whistle says, if that situation is reversed there's no chance the goal would have been ruled out.

He lightly pushed the goalkeeper which prevented him from jumping. It wasn't enough to be a foul but it is enough to say he was interfering with play. I agree the keeper wouldn't have got it but the rules can't be applied in that way.

Here's a simple question I cant find the answer for - obviously we have a 26 man tournament squad, but what is the match day squad size? ...

I just found the answer, its 23.

Presumably one will be a keeper that Clarke leaves?

Edited by romanticscot

8 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

The thing is, we win that game and Spain are one loss (to Norway, in Norway) from potentially going out of the euros.  No way Uefa were taking that risk

Another incident in the Spain away match was the Robertson injury in the box which should have been a penalty.Keeper lead with his left knee and clattered right in to his back. 

Just now, JECK said:

Another incident in the Spain away match was the Robertson injury in the box which should have been a penalty.Keeper lead with his left knee and clattered right in to his back. 

Exactly, if Gordon's clearance is a penalty the other night then the Spain keepers challenge is a penalty all day long!

11 hours ago, The Black Bra said:

Thankfully, it didn’t matter in the end. We could have won the group and got a harder Euro group.

The reality is it should have mattered because in theory if we’d won the group we should’ve got an easier draw in the finals but as you say, check out Spain’s draw. I sure as hell wouldn’t swap our group for theirs.