Sunday Herald - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Sunday Herald

Bought my Herald from Ruchill shop early Sunday whilst they were opening the stalks of papers. I asked is the Heralds been open yet and said it was on the shelf all ready. There was only 1 there. Only 1 I said guy said that is all the manufacturer gives them whilst loads of all the other papers. Later on I asked the Spar in Hope Street if there was any Heralds left and she said we only get 3 !!!!! Strange that Scotlands fastest growing paper isn't being supplied in bulk !!!!!

Bought my Herald from Ruchill shop early Sunday whilst they were opening the stalks of papers. I asked is the Heralds been open yet and said it was on the shelf all ready. There was only 1 there. Only 1 I said guy said that is all the manufacturer gives them whilst loads of all the other papers. Later on I asked the Spar in Hope Street if there was any Heralds left and she said we only get 3 !!!!! Strange that Scotlands fastest growing paper isn't being supplied in bulk !!!!!

Maybe they're selling out?

from that article..."“It’s great and I’m really pleased for the editor and the journalists who’ve done a terrific job. It’s rare for newspapers to support a particular political ideal these days, but they supported it, went for it and it was successful.”

really?..this man has never read the Daily Mail, Telegraph, Express, Daily Record.....em...well any other newspaper really

• 3 years later...

I can see it was difficult for the Sunday Herald to "ride two horses at once" but don't understand why they would close  a paper with an established name and reputation for quality (as good as any)  and start again with a new name. Why not just create one new paper the Sunday National and let the SH continue as the Sunday edition of the Herald?

Unless the Sunday Herald is (they think) in the eyes of traditional Herald readers forever tainted with coning out for independence? But the Sunday Herald only came out for Yes at the eleventh hour (similar to other papers affecting balance till the last minute then coming out for no) and since the referendum the paper's support for independence has been ambiguous at best, and duplicitous at worst. 

Would keeping the Sunday Herald and launching the Sunday National be seen too much as an expansion of the pro Yes press, whereas this way, the  the only serious Yes leaning paper is seen to fold.

The wording int he article is curious though

It is understood the new paper will remain politically neutral - presumably meaning the Herald on Sunday will be politically neutral, but it's supposed to be the same stance as te Healrd so does that mean they think the Herald is politically neutral?

Presumably this state of affairs fuels those who see the publisher as just a mercenary using the National as a cash cow but without making a serious attempt at a serious indy leaning paper? 

8 hours ago, exile said:

But the Sunday Herald only came out for Yes at the eleventh hour (similar to other papers affecting balance till the last minute then coming out for no)

Agree with a lot of your post but the "Sunday Herald says Yes" cover was on 4th May 2014 (going by the reprint in my souvenir edition today). So it certainly wasn't an 11th hour decision.

33 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Agree with a lot of your post but the "Sunday Herald says Yes" cover was on 4th May 2014 (going by the reprint in my souvenir edition today). So it certainly wasn't an 11th hour decision.

OK not 11th hour in that sense but you could say over its history it was not full on pro indy like the National 

Maybe coming out as early as May changed perception of it, and couldn't hope to please all its readership after that 

Edited by exile

I bought Both the National andthe Herald today, The Herald was similar to the old Sunday Helrald as Mr Poke states, the National was a better version that the weekly National, poorer sports pages but a good 7 days pull out , it was less full on National 

They Both have the same Sunday Magazine....same crosswords, same fitba quiz etc, 

The National had more on Womans Footlball than the Herald , whereas teh Herald has a sports pull out , the National has it just at the back of the paper .

Probably get the Herald next week as i like McWirter....

So maybe the plan is to keep the Herald similar as before and catch a new sunday newspaper buyer with the National. ie a %age of the  Weekly national buyers

20 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Bought the first edition of the Herald on Sunday.  It's remarkably like the Sunday Herald, the only thing that seems to have changed is the title!

20 hours ago, stocky said:

I bought Both the National andthe Herald today, The Herald was similar to the old Sunday Helrald as Mr Poke states, the National was a better version that the weekly National, poorer sports pages but a good 7 days pull out , it was less full on National 

They Both have the same Sunday Magazine....same crosswords, same fitba quiz etc, 

The National had more on Womans Footlball than the Herald , whereas teh Herald has a sports pull out , the National has it just at the back of the paper .

Probably get the Herald next week as i like McWirter....

So maybe the plan is to keep the Herald similar as before and catch a new sunday newspaper buyer with the National. ie a %age of the  Weekly national buyers

the difference I picked up in SH (or the Herald on Sunday) was there were more longer in depth articles. Three to four compared to normally one. On reading both, I preferred HoS to the Sunday National but don't want to lend support to a paper that has now moved away from independence - or at least shut down the independence supporting SH and replaced it with the HoS which is "more in line" with the weekday Herald. McWhirter is a positive but countered by the increasingly unhinged Leask. 

I'll now spend 15 mins humming and haa'ing over which paper to buy on a Sunday. Sunday is pretty much the only day I buy a paper as I like a hard copy to read with my coffee in the morning and like to pore over the Scottish football coverage in a wee bit more depth. I was hoping that one of them would be broadsheet or Berliner format  and that would have sealed it for me but alas both in tabloid format so that doesn't help me either. Probably buy both until I consider I am wasting a precious £2.......

i enjoy a paper on a sunday.  Sunday Times and Telegraph are good papers for more than just local political content.  I don't buy my papers based entirely on political persuasion.

I actually enjoy reading opinion pieces that are contrary to my worldview.  Broadsheet though, not tabloid.

Douglas Fraser was quite right to lightly roast the new SN.  Nicola exclusive , top ten scots all a bit twee and predictable.  

1 hour ago, PapofGlencoe said:

i enjoy a paper on a sunday.  Sunday Times and Telegraph are good papers for more than just local political content.  I don't buy my papers based entirely on political persuasion.

I actually enjoy reading opinion pieces that are contrary to my worldview.  Broadsheet though, not tabloid.

Douglas Fraser was quite right to lightly roast the new SN.  Nicola exclusive , top ten scots all a bit twee and predictable.  

Nicola Sturgeon piece was things she had learned if I recall correctly - the top 100 list of movers and shakers was the Herald on Sunday. The Times does something similar every year predictably enough on the basis of wealth........