The Annual Poppy Debate - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Annual Poppy Debate

I don't 'get' the white poppy. I instinctively see it as a 'look at me, ask me why I'm wearing this' gesture. I realise that's probably off the mark and apologies to anyone who wears one, but there's no point in me denying that's how I feel about them.

It certainly frustrates me that because of our politicians (of the last 30 years or so in particular) the genuine gesture of buying a poppy in remembrance of those who died in conflict has been twisted and diluted. It's a shame but there you go.

All poppies are identity claims.

Isn't that true of any badge or totem that someone wears?

I wore a "Yes" badge.

I now wear a "45" badge.

In the past I've worn a "CND" badge and a "Vote Labour" badge.

Wearing badges means you're trying to say something. Whether it be a red or a white poppy.

Nowadays, it appears, not wearing a poppy is making a statement too. Even if you're not.

You apologise for starting the thread and then continue to post on it?

You apologise for starting the thread and then continue to post on it?

Aye, I know.

I apologised for allowing the platform for such a sick post, but now that he/she is gone........I still think it's an interesting subject that can be maturely debated.

I don't 'get' the white poppy. I instinctively see it as a 'look at me, ask me why I'm wearing this' gesture. I realise that's probably off the mark and apologies to anyone who wears one, but there's no point in me denying that's how I feel about them.

It certainly frustrates me that because of our politicians (of the last 30 years or so in particular) the genuine gesture of buying a poppy in remembrance of those who died in conflict has been twisted and diluted. It's a shame but there you go.

Aye that's it, we wear it for "look at me" reasons unlike the majority who do it for social norms, pop a ten pence in the tin at this time of year.

The white poppy is a sign that we remember the service people have sacrificed for the name of peace. But do not glorify conflict ie accept it's part of a way of life.

Btw raised this with Simon Weston over a think in the goat major last time we played Wales, he was great fun for pacifist acknowledging psst service, without accepting conflict ss a standard way of life

I genuinely don't wear a poppy to make any claim or statement. It's the traditional form of remembrance and it's important to me (no-one else) to go through the ritual each year of sticking a few quid in a tin and pinning on a poppy. I don't go to church, I don't solicit anyone else to wear a poppy and I don't make a song and dance about it. I just wear it. The white poppy, by it's very act of being different to the traditional red one, strikes me as being far more likely to be worn as a statement.

Honestly though, I don't understand it (and I'm happy in my ignorance by the way Flure and Phart :lol: ) so I'm not going to condemn it. Each to their own.

I don't wear a poppy, I view them as political statements, which may or may not be correct in others eyes.

I really think we should forget about WW1 and WW2, ones a century old for goodness sake, it's time to let it go.

let the indyref go then

ww1 and ww2 shaped our destiny

other outcomes may not have been so pleasant

I don't wear a poppy, I view them as political statements, which may or may not be correct in others eyes.

I really think we should forget about WW1 and WW2, ones a century old for goodness sake, it's time to let it go.

I do wear a poppy. Don't see it political, but agree it's been hijacked recently. (See Ibrox, and the whole military "help for heros" love in).

Interesting point about the passing of time.

The Battle of Waterloo is 200 years old and arguably shaped British history more than WW1.

The Boer war was pretty terrible. I guess it was the sheer carnage and mechanisation of killing on a grand scale that sets WW1 apart from previous wars, and WW2 aside there has been nothing like it since (thank god).

J

It would appear that "France here we come" has been banned.

I apologise to everyone for starting this thread and allowing the platform for him/her to post such a disgusting thing.

You started it to get a reaction. It was obvious someone would say something negative or controversial.

WHITE POPPIES ARE FOR PEACE

The idea of decoupling Armistice Day, the red poppy and later Remembrance Day from their military culture dates back to 1926, just a few years after the British Legion was persuaded to try using the red poppy as a fundraising tool in Britain.

A member of the No More War Movement suggested that the British Legion should be asked to imprint 'No More War' in the centre of the red poppies instead of ‘Haig Fund’ and failing this pacifists should make their own flowers.

The details of any discussion with the British Legion are unknown but as the centre of the red poppy displayed the ‘Haig Fund’ imprint until 1994 it was clearly not successful. A few years later the idea was again discussed by the Co-operative Women's Guild. In 1933 the first white poppies appeared on Armistice Day (called Remembrance Day after World War Two). The white poppy was not intended as an insult to those who died in the First World War - a war in which many of the white poppy supporters lost husbands, brothers, sons and lovers - but a challenge to the continuing drive to war. The following year the newly founded Peace Pledge Union began widespread distribution of the poppies and their annual promotion.

http://www.ppu.org.uk/whitepoppy/index.html

I think about them quite a bit, especially the First World War. When you look at the papers now we (or at least some of us) can now see what they are, propaganda outlets for the rich and powerful. Back then, no TV, no internet...They had them lining up at the enlistment offices, children lying about their age to join up... like lambs led to slaughter. Put them all into the meat grinder and then come back to finish the job with second installment. It shaped our destiny all right, some even believe Britain 'won'.

Edited by thplinth

Isn't the wearing of the poppy to commemorate all lost in wars? Soldiers and civilians? British or German? American or Japanese? Canadian or Italian? Etc.....

Exactly. It's a commemoration of all dead not a celebration of one over the other. My old German flatmate bought one as she wanted to support the same as I did.

I wear my poppy, to honour the boys I served with, that did not make it back, i don't need a poppy to make me remember them, as some of us remember everyday, wether we want to or not.

As for everybody else, the last time I checked, we still live in a democracy, so you can wear one if you want, or give it a miss.