The Annual Poppy Debate - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Annual Poppy Debate

If you don't understand why, there's no point in trying to explain it to you. It's basic human decency that's involved.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion laddie but just because it doesn't mirror yours, that doesn't mean it's out of order.

Well it's either just a sick attempt at fishing or just plain sick.

Either way, pretty sad and low brow.

Again, you may disagree with me but that doesn't make my opinion "sick".

I'd be interested to know your view on Simon and his friends invading foreign lands, bombing their children and raping their women. That is "sick" to me but maybe it's ok in your book, and again, you're entitled to that view.

:lol: Ya phanny. And I'm not in the army.

Ok

What a sad thread.

Normally folk who go out of their way to be offensive online are utter shitebags in real life who wouldn't dare say similar things in mixed company in pub in case they got a sore face.

coming from the biggest internet wido on the board, that is hilarious.

You said you will wipe your arse with the poppy.

I wear mine every year for my dad and his friends who fought in WW2, many of whom did not come back.

Good for you. I don't give a f*ck.

Still waiting on your answer Francine.

Good for you. I don't give a f*ck.

Just out of interest - what are the current forces guys on the TAMBs views on the white poppy?

Edit to say: I mean guys/gals on the TAMB who are/were forces

Edited by Maq

Ignoring the utterly c*ntish remarks of a certain poster, when it comes to the poppy, it's each to their own. I have no problems with those who won't wear it because of the way it's essentially been bastardised in recent years; but for me, it is and always will be about remembering the fallen in WW1 & WW2. Having been to Ypres a couple of years back, and with both my grandads serving in WW2, I want to remember their sacrifice; and for that I always wear a poppy. Each to their own though - just don't act like a bellend and make attention-seeking w*nker remarks if you choose not to wear one.

The only "war crimes" that british troops committed in the Falklands was an isolated incident of executing captured soldiers, which has happened in every conflict that's lasted more than 10m minutes. Even an Argentinian General investigating the case on his side said it was not the norm but under extreme stress, lack of sleep etc it happens in every conflict.

Just out of interest - what are the current forces guys on the TAMBs views on the white poppy?

Edit to say: I mean guys/gals on the TAMB who are/were forces

I don't 'get' the white poppy. I instinctively see it as a 'look at me, ask me why I'm wearing this' gesture. I realise that's probably off the mark and apologies to anyone who wears one, but there's no point in me denying that's how I feel about them.

It certainly frustrates me that because of our politicians (of the last 30 years or so in particular) the genuine gesture of buying a poppy in remembrance of those who died in conflict has been twisted and diluted. It's a shame but there you go.

I don't 'get' the white poppy. I instinctively see it as a 'look at me, ask me why I'm wearing this' gesture.

Isn't that true of any badge or totem that someone wears?

I wore a "Yes" badge.

I now wear a "45" badge.

In the past I've worn a "CND" badge and a "Vote Labour" badge.

Wearing badges means you're trying to say something. Whether it be a red or a white poppy.

Nowadays, it appears, not wearing a poppy is making a statement too. Even if you're not.