The Annual Poppy Debate - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Annual Poppy Debate

20 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Just go and stay in russia then?? Ask the people of alsace lorraine if they were glad to be freed from tyranny. These men did not die in vain. Despite eric bogles songs. We fought as a country against tyranny. To remember and respect that is all we can do. And learn from it. Right. Back to the buckets for me. Blue collection today so no half empty bottles 😯

Funny as you just massacred a whole platoon of strawmen for fuck all reason. You are the General Haig of the TAMB.

I am going take a wild guess here that you did not even bother to watch the vid before posting your slavering drivel. Maybe understanding the reasons for the war better is respecting the dead more than posting teary eyed sentimental shite. 

25 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Funny as you just massacred a whole platoon of strawmen for fuck all reason. You are the General Haig of the TAMB.

I am going take a wild guess here that you did not even bother to watch the vid before posting your slavering drivel. Maybe understanding the reasons for the war better is respecting the dead more than posting teary eyed sentimental shite. 

I never massacred anyone except with sharp wit. No matter who was at fault i feel it is appropriate to remember for some of us. Especially when u have family who fought in the great war. You dont. Your choice.  Bingo.

27 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Mentioned in the movies thread, but seems appropriate here. A must watch IMO (only available til the weekend)...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0brzkzx/they-shall-not-grow-old

This was on BBC2 late last night too

Infuriating

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0br9xzq/wwi-the-final-hours

Edited by Ally Bongo

1 hour ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Just go and stay in russia then?? Ask the people of alsace lorraine if they were glad to be freed from tyranny. These men did not die in vain. Despite eric bogles songs. We fought as a country against tyranny. To remember and respect that is all we can do. And learn from it. Right. Back to the buckets for me. Blue collection today so no half empty bottles 😯

You made this slightly bizarre reply to me for reasons only known to you. ("...just go and stay in Russia then" - eh?!) It is clear you had not watched the film. If you had you would have realized it was nothing to do with anything you drivel on about in your reply. "They did not die in vain"... yes yes very emotive but again you seem to have imagined this being something do with my post. It does not matter if you are trolling or genuinely just like this but you are a massive waste of time either way so I'll not bother replying so much going forward.

31 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Kaiser Hills is probably more historically appropriate.

Aye. Good one. I was at memorial service and stood with my poppy and my head lowered. And will again next year. I apologise that i never watched the video but i will tonight. So u are right. I shouldny really be driving yon bin lorry wi a drink in me!

3 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Aye. Good one. I was at memorial service and stood with my poppy and my head lowered. And will again next year. I apologise that i never watched the video but i will tonight. So u are right. I shouldny really be driving yon bin lorry wi a drink in me!

Are you Harry Clarke by any chance?

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Mentioned in the movies thread, but seems appropriate here. A must watch IMO (only available til the weekend)...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0brzkzx/they-shall-not-grow-old

Watched it last night as we’ll thing that struck me at the end of the film the solider goes back to work and his work mate said where have been have you been working nights 

12 hours ago, phart said:

" In Glasgow, massive arms production drew tens of thousands of new workers into the cities. Landlords took the opportunity to hike rents so high that working class women, who's husbands, sons and brothers were dying at the front, were threatened with mass eviction. The women fought back, launching a rent strike and repelling landlord's with street fighting. "

Love it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Bar

http://www.scottishhousingnews.com/20199/commemorative-mary-barbour-statue-unveiled-on-international-womens-day/