The Get It Off Your Chest Thread... - Page 54 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Get It Off Your Chest Thread...

35 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Another thing that is pissing me off is the brightness of car headlights. Wtf is going on with them. 
I need to drive on a poorly lit country(ish ) road home and it has been really awful this year. I am getting practically blinded by both the cars coming towards me , and those behind me. 
I initially thought folk were driving with full beam on but it is happening too often for it to be that. It is bloody dangerous when you come round a bend, in particular . 

Does anyone know if headlights are getting brighter ? 

Try night driving glasses.

38 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Try night driving glasses.

👍 Excellent. I didnt even know such a thing existed. One pair of night driving glasses from Amazon Prime winging their way to me as we speak. The streets of Renfrewshire have never been safer. 

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Another thing that is pissing me off is the brightness of car headlights. Wtf is going on with them. 
I need to drive on a poorly lit country(ish ) road home and it has been really awful this year. I am getting practically blinded by both the cars coming towards me , and those behind me. 
I initially thought folk were driving with full beam on but it is happening too often for it to be that. It is bloody dangerous when you come round a bend, in particular . 

Does anyone know if headlights are getting brighter ? 

New cars are fitted with LED lights, so are indeed much brighter. 

Agree on the blinding headlights on new cars. My parents really struggle with night driving now as a result and at times recently I am thinking FFS this is getting stupid. Sure it makes the other driver feel safer but are they really when they blind oncoming drivers. I think they have gone too far and it is now a backward step safety wise. And if they are on high beams by mistake... ohh man crazy.

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

New cars are fitted with LED lights, so are indeed much brighter. 

Ah DD, our resident electrical expert, I knew you would know 😊

37 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Agree on the blinding headlights on new cars. My parents really struggle with night driving now as a result and at times recently I am thinking FFS this is getting stupid. Sure it makes the other driver feel safer but are they really when they blind oncoming drivers. I think they have gone too far and it is now a backward step safety wise. And if they are on high beams by mistake... ohh man crazy.

I am actually having to adjust my REAR view mirror or just not look in it its that bad. And I am screwing up my eyes to oncoming traffic.  

Its funny you should mention your parents as I was wondering if it was my ageing eyesight that was the problem. But I only wear glasses for reading and have done so for years, nothing has changed and my long distance is fine. 

Will try these night driving glasses. The company selling them is probably owned by the bloody LED manufacturers.  

Well you have that wee switch on the rear mirror into night mode... without that I'd have to just twist it away as it would be blinding. Even the side mirrors can be become a problem now. It is not completely new this...I remember asking my mum how she saw where to go as a kid passenger while she was driving. She said she used to rely on the white lines but the headlights were so shit that meant about 30 yards in front of you on low beams. 

Now it is the same problem but for opposite reasons. You are blinded down to less than that by the blinding light of the oncoming cars. People hammering on with so little visibility...

It's interesting that this 'influencers' notion popped up on another thread as it's been narking me for a while. I can't make my mind up if I'm missing something or just being a grumpy old gimmer. Probably both.

We've all been influenced by people; from major world figures to someone close to us. We are also influenced I suppose by adverts, peer groups & so forth for better or for worse. But this is definitely a bit more sinister. We are supposed to be influenced by brain dead bimbos who think that injecting whatever in their rear ends is a good look. Well for a fraction of the price, our town is full of folk achieving that by shovelling a few Big Macs down followed by a couple of dozen JD & cokes.

The fact that someone calls themselves an influencer rather than just being an influence is all a bit bonkers. But when you look at them, they're just a mix of footballers, low talent singers & 'famous for being famous' characters who have millions, if not tens of millions hanging on their every YouTube change of clothes. I can't stand the likes of Bono but at least they used to try & use their influence to get people to think. I don't see many 'celebrities' knocking around these days doing anything other than promoting their own cosmetics.

https://influencermarketinghub.com/top-25-instagram-influencers/

What are they actually influencing though? The sole purpose of their influencing seems to be to make gazillions for themselves.

I definitely think I'm getting too old for this internet lark.

15 hours ago, thplinth said:

Well you have that wee switch on the rear mirror into night mode... without that I'd have to just twist it away as it would be blinding. Even the side mirrors can be become a problem now. It is not completely new this...I remember asking my mum how she saw where to go as a kid passenger while she was driving. She said she used to rely on the white lines but the headlights were so shit that meant about 30 yards in front of you on low beams. 

Now it is the same problem but for opposite reasons. You are blinded down to less than that by the blinding light of the oncoming cars. People hammering on with so little visibility...

I dont think I have that switch. 
You are right about people hammering on. I have lived in my current house for 10 years and know the road like the back of my hand. It lures you into a false sense of security, driving along at 45 mph then pow ! blinded.
It is as dangerous as drunk driving IMO. I have had to really slow down which I suppose is not a bad thing, but its for all the wrong reasons. 

1 minute ago, TDYER63 said:

I dont think I have that switch. 

I would be very surprised if you don't. I've never seen a car without one which wasn't built pre 1980ish. Are you sure you should still be driving? Maybe you are getting to an age where you should be thinking about how long you should keep your licence for?

55 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I would be very surprised if you don't. I've never seen a car without one which wasn't built pre 1980ish. Are you sure you should still be driving? Maybe you are getting to an age where you should be thinking about how long you should keep your licence for?

My car doesn’t have a switch but it has a sensor that supposedly dims bright light automatically when detected. I would prefer the switch though as I now have no control & it doesn’t always work as it should.

I think some very bottom end cars don’t have it. My wife until recently had a 2013 Suzuki Alto (low spec even for that car) which had little else beyond the very basics & didn’t have the flip switch. 

On 2/2/2020 at 11:21 AM, Orraloon said:

😂 cheeky bugger.

I have had a look at the handbook. Apparently  my car has a sensor . Which clearly doesnt work. There is a knob on the rear view mirror but all that does is change the angle of the mirror, ie you cant see a bloody thing out it at all when you twist it. 

HOWEVER, my night driving glasses have arrived. They have yellow lenses. I look a bit like Bono in them. Might need to tune into Classic Rock on the radio. 

On 2/2/2020 at 12:20 PM, Huddersfield said:

My car doesn’t have a switch but it has a sensor that supposedly dims bright light automatically when detected. I would prefer the switch though as I now have no control & it doesn’t always work as it should.

👍

😁 I have a 6yr old Mini Cooper and before that an ‘R’ reg Audi. 
I work on a ‘ need to know’ basis with cars, I have no interest in the gadgets. These new LED bulbs have created a problem that was not there before. I now know I have  sensors. That do bugger all. 

20 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

😁 I have a 6yr old Mini Cooper and before that an ‘R’ reg Audi. 
I work on a ‘ need to know’ basis with cars, I have no interest in the gadgets. These new LED bulbs have created a problem that was not there before. I now know I have  sensors. That do bugger all. 

That is not a gadget. It has been on motors since at least the 80's when I started to learn. Just how rich are you?

31 minutes ago, thplinth said:

That is not a gadget. It has been on motors since at least the 80's when I started to learn. Just how rich are you?

It is a gadget ( I am talking about the sensor)  Gadgets can be old you know. Maybe not as old as 56 years but old nonetheless. 

Anyway, if I was rich I would have a chauffeur to deal with such trivial issues 😗

Edited by TDYER63

10 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

It is a gadget ( I am talking about the sensor)  Gadgets can be old you know. Maybe not as old as 56 years but old nonetheless. 

Anyway, if I was rich I would have a chauffeur to deal with such trivial issues 😗

Well you obviously do. How in the name of hell could anyone, i mean anyone, grow up in this world and not know about the night switch on the back of every cars' rear mirror. How!? I am starting to think you are a member of the royal family and this is all an act...

Edited by thplinth

2 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Well you obviously do. How in the name of hell could anyone, i mean anyone, grow up in this world and not know about the night switch on the back of every cars' rear mirror. How!? I am starting to think you are a member of the royal family and this is all an act...

😂😂😂

👸yes, it’s amazing how one can get through life without not knowing about the night switch on one’s rear view mirror.  

If I knew everything there was to know about cars exactly what purpose would Mr Tidy serve ? 

17 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

😂 cheeky bugger.

There is a knob on the rear view mirror but all that does is change the angle of the mirror, ie you cant see a bloody thing out it at all when you twist it. 

Holy fuk. Some folk just shouldn't be allowed on the road. Now be honest, you tried it in daylight, didn't you? Nae fibbin, noo. The flip switch only works in the dark. If you try it in daylight all you will see is your back seat, assuming you have one. The fact that you didn't even know it was there should get you 6 penalty points on your licence.

Maybe you should do one of those auld folks driving courses? Are you sure you didn't just forget about that switch?

14 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

😂😂😂

👸yes, it’s amazing how one can get through life without not knowing about the night switch on one’s rear view mirror.  

If I knew everything there was to know about cars exactly what purpose would Mr Tidy serve ? 

Does Mr Tidy know where to find the flip switch?

6 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Holy fuk. Some folk just shouldn't be allowed on the road. Now be honest, you tried it in daylight, didn't you? Nae fibbin, noo. The flip switch only works in the dark. If you try it in daylight all you will see is your back seat, assuming you have one. The fact that you didn't even know it was there should get you 6 penalty points on your licence.

Maybe you should do one of those auld folks driving courses? Are you sure you didn't just forget about that switch?

😂😂 Well.  It wasnt COMPLETELY dark when I tested it. Just a wee bit dark. Ever since I mentioned this problem the nights have been getting lighter and lighter and I can't test it properly.  
I have been driving for 32years and have never been bothered with glaring lights in my rear view mirror till now, why would I care if I had a wee switch or not.

I  did a  poll in work today and I am not alone in my lack of car rear view mirror switch knowledge. So put that in yer pipe and smoke it. 

6 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Does Mr Tidy know where to find the flip switch?

I would hope so. He is an auto electrician .