Women's World Cup - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Women's World Cup

JandC

Interesting story of TV rights for the Women's World Cup that Fifa president Gianni Infantino has threatened to not broadcast it in five European countries unless TV companies improve their rights offers.

Infantino said European broadcasters had offered world football's governing body $1m-$10m (£800,000-£8m) for the rights, compared with $100m-$200m for the men's World Cup.

For me this is a reality check for the women's  game in the same way as we get with the SPFL and Scottish National team.

Broadcasters will only pay what the product is worth and I think a lot of people are reluctant to criticise women's football in case they are accused of sexism. 

20 hours ago, JandC said:

Interesting story of TV rights for the Women's World Cup that Fifa president Gianni Infantino has threatened to not broadcast it in five European countries unless TV companies improve their rights offers.

Infantino said European broadcasters had offered world football's governing body $1m-$10m (£800,000-£8m) for the rights, compared with $100m-$200m for the men's World Cup.

For me this is a reality check for the women's  game in the same way as we get with the SPFL and Scottish National team.

Broadcasters will only pay what the product is worth and I think a lot of people are reluctant to criticise women's football in case they are accused of sexism. 

Yeah, FIFA need to realise that woman's football is not as popular as the woke would have you believe. 

If Sky could broadcast it, they'd be throwing money at it. Judging by their constant promotion of every woman's match like it's the fuckin Champions League or World cup final!

I'm quite happy for the BBC in particular not to stump up the money for the TV rights, so we might avoid another summer of wall-to-wall saturation coverage of "the Lionesses".

Unfortunately I am certain they'll find the cash from somewhere, for precisely that reason.

On 6/1/2023 at 5:36 PM, ParisInAKilt said:

Got a ticket for the Brazil Jamaica game. Didn’t think much of it at the time but it’s a shame we didn’t qualify. 

You're co-hosting it, aren't you?

On 6/1/2023 at 5:36 PM, ParisInAKilt said:

Got a ticket for the Brazil Jamaica game. Didn’t think much of it at the time but it’s a shame we didn’t qualify. 

See "The Weemin" thread for details. Absolutely blew it :(