Scotland Squad - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Squad

ProudScot

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

Leon King has been "called up"....

Will be going to the training camp in Spain, but is not officially part of the squad for the upcoming games.

Of all the U21s I don't think he'd have been near the top of my list to train with the senior team if i'm honest. I'm hoping he can kick on and improve though after he looked really short of confidence after some of the drubbings rangers got in the champions league

25 minutes ago, csinclair said:

Of all the U21s I don't think he'd have been near the top of my list to train with the senior team if i'm honest. I'm hoping he can kick on and improve though after he looked really short of confidence after some of the drubbings rangers got in the champions league

For years he has been the one that coaches at Rangers have been saying is the gem of the batch coming through. 

He looks comfortable on the ball and reads the game well. He needs to become more agressive / assertive in the tackle and with his decision making but hopefully that will come with age and experience.

Got flung into the Rangers team at the wrong time this season and was very exposed. He should be getting introduced from the start when Rangers have their full team in games like, home to Motherwell.

1 hour ago, csinclair said:

To be fair he’s played 20+ games for Rangers this season & in the champions league.

Some real prospects like Mebude haven’t had a loan yet so no first team experience.

Probably what sets King aside from Liam Morrison for example too

19 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

For years he has been the one that coaches at Rangers have been saying is the gem of the batch coming through. 

He looks comfortable on the ball and reads the game well. He needs to become more agressive / assertive in the tackle and with his decision making but hopefully that will come with age and experience.

Got flung into the Rangers team at the wrong time this season and was very exposed. He should be getting introduced from the start when Rangers have their full team in games like, home to Motherwell.

If he wants yo save his career he should fuck off out of rangers immediately, same goes for the goalkeeper, mcrorie 

45 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

If he wants yo save his career he should fuck off out of rangers immediately, same goes for the goalkeeper, mcrorie 

Agreed. McCrorie to any level where he will be 1st choice.

King id like to see abroad

57 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Yeah bang on. 

McCrorie 5 clean sheets out of 6 matches all fairly high pressure and then they sign a number 1 to play ahead of him - sums them up really..

13 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Yeah bang on. 

McCrorie 5 clean sheets out of 6 matches all fairly high pressure and then they sign a number 1 to play ahead of him - sums them up really..

Really don't get the McCrorie situation. On the park he has done nothing wrong and he really should be in the current squad.

Must be something we don't know about.

14 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Yeah bang on. 

Not really. He's played very few games at the highest level. From what I recall from his loan at Livingston there were a few questions about his ability. It would be too great a risk for Rangers to just have him as no.1. He might be more than able but it's not a risk they can take. Let's say he started the season and had a couple of poor performances, he'd get dropped and replaced by Mcloughlin who most Rangers fans think isn't good enough, Beale would be getting pelters.

Butland is an experienced keeper at the highest level. It's a no brainer. If McCrorie impresses in training maybe he'll start, who knows. I would like to see McCrorie playing regularly from a Scotland point of view and maybe he will need a move away if he's not getting anymore game time but from a Rangers perspective, Butland is an understandable signing.

If McCrorie keeps Butland out the team, that'll be good news for both Gers and Scotland because it will mean Robby is playing well!

9 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Not really. He's played very few games at the highest level. From what I recall from his loan at Livingston there were a few questions about his ability. It would be too great a risk for Rangers to just have him as no.1. He might be more than able but it's not a risk they can take. Let's say he started the season and had a couple of poor performances, he'd get dropped and replaced by Mcloughlin who most Rangers fans think isn't good enough, Beale would be getting pelters.

Butland is an experienced keeper at the highest level. It's a no brainer. If McCrorie impresses in training maybe he'll start, who knows. I would like to see McCrorie playing regularly from a Scotland point of view and maybe he will need a move away if he's not getting anymore game time but from a Rangers perspective, Butland is an understandable signing.

If McCrorie keeps Butland out the team, that'll be good news for both Gers and Scotland because it will mean Robby is playing well!

Butland's experience is not that great - he has warmed the bench at premier league clubs and was lucky as hell to get the bench warming gig at Man Utd where he didn't play a single first team match. His experience is Championship level

11 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Really don't get the McCrorie situation. On the park he has done nothing wrong and he really should be in the current squad.

Must be something we don't know about.

I think Clarkes gone with 3 established #1s this time. McCrorie ended the season as Rangers #1 and played very well. You’d think if he starts the season as #1 still he will be in the next squad.

19 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Butland's experience is not that great - he has warmed the bench at premier league clubs and was lucky as hell to get the bench warming gig at Man Utd where he didn't play a single first team match. His experience is Championship level

Yeah I don’t think it’s a fantastic signing. Maybe they are going to do a Patterson and sell McCrorie though. 

26 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

He's got nine England caps, he's played for a number of seasons in the EPL, he's on the bench for Man United- that means he's a decent keeper as they won't have a poor goalie should anything happen to de Gea. For whatever reason he's not fulfilled his earlier potential but it makes absolute sense from a Gers perspective. Anyhow as this is only tangentially about Scotland this is my last comment and we'll probably have to agree to disagree. As said earlier if McCrorie keeps him out that will be good news for both Gers and Scotland.

Edited by Hertsscot

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

He's got nine England caps, he's played for a number of seasons in the EPL, he's on the bench for Man United- that means he's a decent keeper as they won't have a poor goalie should anything happen to de Gea. For whatever reason he's not fulfilled his earlier potential but it makes absolute sense from a Gers perspective. Anyhow as this is only tangentially about Scotland this is my last comment and we'll probably have to agree to disagree. As said earlier if McCrorie keeps him out that will be good news for both Gers and Scotland.

He has 9 england caps - correct but hasn't been involved since 2018 and only played 2 or 3 times. Happy to be corrected on the starts. 

He hasn;t played a number of seasons in the EPL - he made 10 appearances for Palace and none for Man Utd, He might have made a handful of appearances for Stoke but I can;t see the figures. From what I have looked at, he has played a lot in the Championship. He was a cheap option for Man Utd, nothing more

BEale has gone down the line of  English championship = better than scottish. I could understand if Rangers bought someone with real pedigree - Like Hart but they've bought an EPL back up goalie with Championship experience - No better than McRoroie IMO

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

He has 9 england caps - correct but hasn't been involved since 2018 and only played 2 or 3 times. Happy to be corrected on the starts. 

He hasn;t played a number of seasons in the EPL - he made 10 appearances for Palace and none for Man Utd, He might have made a handful of appearances for Stoke but I can;t see the figures. From what I have looked at, he has played a lot in the Championship. He was a cheap option for Man Utd, nothing more

BEale has gone down the line of  English championship = better than scottish. I could understand if Rangers bought someone with real pedigree - Like Hart but they've bought an EPL back up goalie with Championship experience - No better than McRoroie IMO

Butland hasn't been a premier league number 1 since 2017-18 season which was the last time he was capped by England. He definitely had a lot of hype when he was younger but I don't think he's as big a coup as some people have made out and I believe McCrorie has the ability to be number 1 its just whether Beale thinks that.

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

I think Clarkes gone with 3 established #1s this time. McCrorie ended the season as Rangers #1 and played very well. You’d think if he starts the season as #1 still he will be in the next squad.

We know that 2 of those keepers are pretty poor so even if he tags along as third choice he will be a better player for it. 

Love to know how many 3rd choice keepers have used in international football. 

I get Rangers position looking for an experienced keeper though. 

1 hour ago, csinclair said:

Butland hasn't been a premier league number 1 since 2017-18 season which was the last time he was capped by England. He definitely had a lot of hype when he was younger but I don't think he's as big a coup as some people have made out and I believe McCrorie has the ability to be number 1 its just whether Beale thinks that.

I really hope McCrorie does become the number one at Ibrox, we desperately need a decent goalie playing regularly 

Edited by vanderark14