Cathkin Park... Finally made it.. - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Cathkin Park... Finally made it..

Finally. Did not realize it was founded in 1872.. Loved it !!! ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ

20230522_151238.jpg

20230522_150951.jpg

20 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Finally. Did not realize it was founded in 1872.. Loved it !!! ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ

20230522_151238.jpg

20230522_150951.jpg

It wasn't! you're maybe getting mixed up with the first international match being in 1872.ย 

Cathkin, (2nd Hampden)ย was opened by Queens Park in 1884, the First Hampden Park, across the road from Cathkin was opened in 1873... 150 years ago... ;)

LOTS of info here if you're interested...ย 

The Hampden Collection โ€“ Celebrating, Promoting & Protecting the 3 Hampden Parks and All Who Played On Them

ย 

20 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

ย 

I hope you saw this... the site of the First Hampden Park, the first purpose built fitba stadium in the world!ย 

ย 

Mural1.jpg

1 hour ago, Bzzzz said:

I hope you saw this... the site of the First Hampden Park, the first purpose built fitba stadium in the world!ย 

ย 

Mural1.jpg

I will go back, never saw it mate..ย  Cheers for the unfo pal. It's something else when you go there...๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟโค๏ธ

21 hours ago, stocky said:

That stadium looks really big,ย  ย or are you awfy small.๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‚

ย 

Glad you getting guid weather for your visit

Naw mate, I'm small..๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

17 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I will go back, never saw it mate..ย  Cheers for the unfo pal. It's something else when you go there...๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟโค๏ธ

It is eh? it's like a big sleeping giant.ย 

Cheers for sharing this Ramy. I fancy going for a visit. Is the train from Central to Crosshill the best way to get to Cathkin Park?

Also what's the nearest train station to the site of the original Hampden Park as referenced above.

Please and thank you!

1 hour ago, morrie21 said:

Cheers for sharing this Ramy. I fancy going for a visit. Is the train from Central to Crosshill the best way to get to Cathkin Park?

Also what's the nearest train station to the site of the original Hampden Park as referenced above.

Please and thank you!

Crosshill for both. They're on opposite sides of Cathcart Rd.

3 hours ago, morrie21 said:

Please and thank you!

No bother mate.. My cousin drove me but it is well worth a visit.. ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ

1 hour ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

No bother mate.. My cousin drove me but it is well worth a visit.. ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ

๐Ÿ‘

43 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

Thanks for sharing that link - could be something interesting to do with the wee man during the upcoming school holidays.

I think heโ€™s away back to Canada before thatโ€ฆ.๐Ÿ˜‰

On 5/22/2023 at 4:38 PM, Big Ramy 1314 said:

20230522_151238.jpg

20230522_150951.jpg

Looks like Parkheid afore the other wee Canadian came in to rescue Celtic from oblivion ย few years back ๐Ÿ˜œ

On 5/22/2023 at 4:38 PM, Big Ramy 1314 said:

20230522_151238.jpg

20230522_150951.jpg

Thirds were my beloved Grandpa's team. Wonder how the campaign to revive the club is going.

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Thirds were my beloved Grandpa's team. Wonder how the campaign to revive the club is going.

Nice one mate. I really enjoyed walking that ground. To think over 50,000 stood in this park at one time is haunting.. I was trying to imagine what it would have been like when I walked on the terracing, covered in bush. It really is quite something.. I don't know much about Third Lanark, my apologies mate, but good luck with the revival..๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ

9 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Did he ever adopt another club?

I've often wondered what a fan who has invested much time and emotion in a club does when their club ceases to exist.