Money.... - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

So got my Canadian money changed yesterday to English pounds. Fuckin hated it, but had to be done. Now, question, serious question, and no smartarse remarks please. I live in Canada. 

In saying that, the bank told me english pounds are fine in Scotland, as I acquired about pounds Sterling, Scottish currency aswell. The first 10 days I am in England with my sister, bit the last 14 are in Scotland. The bank told me to go with English pounds, but I remember Scottish currency, pound Sterling? Am I correct? I also remember some establishments not accepting Pound Sterling, even in Scotland !! As I said earlier, I'm not on the wind up. Can someone please clear this up for me. 

I cannot wait until the day someone crosses the border, passes a £20 English pound, and I can tell then to shove it right up their fuckin hole...

Ramy...🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿  

34 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

We use the same currency as England, you’ll be fine. Only place you’d struggle would be if you went to Ireland. 

Cheers FB. Only thing is, my bank here in Canada has told me everytime I use my card overseas I pay a fee?? WTF is that all about !! Nonsense mate.. 

3 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Cheers FB. Only thing is, my bank here in Canada has told me everytime I use my card overseas I pay a fee?? WTF is that all about !! Nonsense mate.. 

Buy a prepay Mastercard, load it up, spend all your own money and dont pay fees. 

https://www.mastercard.co.uk/en-gb/personal/find-a-card/general-prepaid-mastercard.html

14 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I think that's the same with any bank.  If I use my Bank of Scotland debit card in Canada or to lift cash out of an ATM I'm pretty sure I'd get charged for every transaction.  Basically I think the bank are charging you for the currency exchange on each transaction.  Your miles better to either have local currency or as DD says a prepaid credit card.  A lot of FX companies over here (including the one run by the company I work for..) now offer prepaid cards as an alternative to currency.  I used one on Portugal last year and it was spot on.  Can pay for everything contactless, easy to top up from your own bank account with no additional charges and you can even have multiple currencies on it or switch the money you've got left on it from one currency to another if you are moving on to another country.

3 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

I think that's the same with any bank.  If I use my Bank of Scotland debit card in Canada or to lift cash out of an ATM I'm pretty sure I'd get charged for every transaction.  Basically I think the bank are charging you for the currency exchange on each transaction.  Your miles better to either have local currency or as DD says a prepaid credit card.  A lot of FX companies over here (including the one run by the company I work for..) now offer prepaid cards as an alternative to currency.  I used one on Portugal last year and it was spot on.  Can pay for everything contactless, easy to top up from your own bank account with no additional charges and you can even have multiple currencies on it or switch the money you've got left on it from one currency to another if you are moving on to another country.

Aye mate, spoke with my wife and I am taking DDs advice. I am going to be all over Scotland and Northern engerland, and possible Northern Ireland, so the Mastercard is the best option. Cheers FB for the info...👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

On 5/19/2023 at 10:58 AM, scottincarlisle said:

When life was simple, you could bugger off for 2 weeks of peace & quiet from everyone.  😄

exactly - when you were on holiday you were on holiday - nae kent from work annoying you on email or phone 

i was on holiday in Peru last week, and had folk asking me to help them with unimportant stuff   

2 hours ago, euan2020 said:

exactly - when you were on holiday you were on holiday - nae kent from work annoying you on email or phone 

i was on holiday in Peru last week, and had folk asking me to help them with unimportant stuff   

Hope you told them where to stick it.

Out of order in my opinion.

So my debt card has worked in 3 pubs I used it in Glasgow, cash in some other pubs. It did not work however in the chemist here in Durham when I went to buy toothpaste.. So it worked in Scotish pub,but no in an English chemist !! 🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

So my debt card has worked in 3 pubs I used it in Glasgow, cash in some other pubs. It did not work however in the chemist here in Durham when I went to buy toothpaste.. So it worked in Scotish pub,but no in an English chemist !! 🤣🤣

You checked your balance? Sounds like you have just spunked all your money in the pubs 🙂

Edited by TDYER63

16 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

You checked your balance? Sounds like you have just spunked all your money in the pubs 🙂

🤣🤣. Awe naw. I have plenty. Wait till I get to Greaves !!!🤣🤣🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

2 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Did Bruges and Ghent earlier this year - superb. 

Must recommend a visit to Bar Des Amis in both... braw and the beer is magic!