U17 Championship - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

U17 Championship

Hertsscot

Can't really comment as I missed all the second half as I was in taxi duty for my wife! I see we did peg it back to 2-1 with Villa's Rory Wilson getting a goal but they scored a third shortly afterwards.

Edited by Hertsscot

Watched the whole game. France are excellent and it could have been a heavier defeat they hit the post twice and Mahady, who looks good in goals, saved a pen or maybe a second one as I missed some of the first half.

Rory Wilson is so clinical and lively, he scored. Ryan One should have scored but looks out his depth at this level, he was playing upfront with Wilson.Ā 

Bailey Rice is a mega talent too.Ā 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Watched the whole game. France are excellent and it could have been a heavier defeat they hit the post twice and Mahady, who looks good in goals, saved a pen or maybe a second one as I missed some of the first half.

Rory Wilson is so clinical and lively, he scored. Ryan One should have scored but looks out his depth at this level, he was playing upfront with Wilson.Ā 

Bailey Rice is a mega talent too.Ā 

Good informative post. Looks like Rice & Wilson behind Doak are our most exciting teenagers currently.Ā  All 3 have seriously good chances of becoming top players it seems.

Ā  Ā I'll keep taking a look on the Leeds forum to see how Mahady progresses next season. Early days but him along with the young Hibs keeper Murray Johnston might be the best goalie prospects we've had for a long time.

16 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

Good informative post. Looks like Rice & Wilson behind Doak are our most exciting teenagers currently.Ā  All 3 have seriously good chances of becoming top players it seems.

Ā  Ā I'll keep taking a look on the Leeds forum to see how Mahady progresses next season. Early days but him along with the young Hibs keeper Murray Johnston might be the best goalie prospects we've had for a long time.

Keeper looked very suspect at cross balls and he was definitely at fault for the first goal. First Penalty he saved was a very poor penalty. Didnā€™t see the second one. We had a few decent players but France were good all over the park especially down the flanks.Ā 

Being realistic, 3 top players from a single squad at this level is brilliant for us if we can do it consistently. We are never going to have mega-depth like France do but we donā€™t need to. Produce 3 top players a year for a decade and you have a top squad (assuming they arenā€™t all fullbacks!).

Going by these highlights it looks like we were completely out of our depth which is worrying. I know france have incredible strength in depth at youth level but i would at least hope we couldĀ  be competitive with them.Ā 

I suppose its just youth football. As long as we can produce a few players from this group who go onto the senior team.

Glad to get the updates here, regardless the result. Our national broadcaster website has no mention or listing of the game though they covered their England u17 female earlier and are showing Wales u17 now.Ā 
tried the sfa (remember them) site just now . They have a wee preview of the game from a few days ago . They honestly donā€™t even pretend to give a fuk about the national teams in Scotland. Troffers , the cunting thieving lot of them .

7 minutes ago, Shaundy said:

Glad to get the updates here, regardless the result. Our national broadcaster website has no mention or listing of the game though they covered their England u17 female earlier and are showing Wales u17 now.Ā 
tried the sfa (remember them) site just now . They have a wee preview of the game from a few days ago . They honestly donā€™t even pretend to give a fuk about the national teams in Scotland. Troffers , the cunting thieving lot of them .

It was on I player, I watched first half.

Ā 

We played ok, but the french guys were all bigger,taller and more physical.

Maybe Strachan was right about our genetics......

Ā 

The talent pool the larger nations have help in age groups as does the advantage of more man/ child players.Ā 
Ā 

have mentioned this before but would rather a team of Messi and Maradona size for all the excitement the guy Haaland is giving he needs the players. And the very best tend not to be your big is best candidates. Wait and see what billy Gilmour achieves the next year.Ā 

I only saw the first half. We troubled them for 15 minutes or so. One looks to be a bit of a handful with impressive physique and pace. Wilson and Rice obviously have a chance, although I would say Wilson caused us a few problems in our own box by being in it and not doing anything.

As others have said we only need one or two at this level. A big difference between u17 and even u19 in terms of available pool of players. The big nations will always dominate u17s.Ā