Transfer Chat 2023/24 - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Transfer Chat 2023/24

10 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Im not sure what you want me to say about your attendence? Well done?

NADA.

I wasnt there for several reasons, none of which im inclined to go into. And if I was lying about being an Airdrie fan wouldnt it be easier to say yes I was there. Again, what would you have wanted me to post? Yas, Airdrie back in the Chamionship. Im not 10 years old.

YOU DIDN’T ACKNOWLEDGE IT AT ALL

Just admit, you made a smart arse comment on the internet trying to look cool. Somebody then came on posting a link to show you were talking nonsense and now you are trying to deflect.

I DID, I  REPLIED TO ALLY’S POST ABOVE, SO NO DEFLECTION

Ive never understood the OF fans need to think that non OF fans are secretly a fan of the other team. Theres hundreds of thousands of Rangers fans and likewise Celtic fans. Why would anybody feel the need to lie about supporting them, especially on the internet.

SOME PEOPLE ARE WEIRDOS AND LIKE TO REINVENT THEMSELVES ONLINE?

I post about Rangers as I do about other Scottish clubs and indeed other things football. Why? Becuase its a topic of conversation and like it or not the OF take up about 95% of all media coverage in Scotland so there are alot of talking points.

YOU POST PREDOMINANTLY ABOUT RFC

If you want to give me your views on Airdries performance then id be happy to discuss.

I WOULD BUT YOUD PROBABLY JUST GOOGLE THE MATCH  REPORT 

I think that about covers it other than to say I’m not that bothered what you are. 

Edited by slasher

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, slasher said:

I think that about covers it other than to say I’m not that bothered what you are. 

For somebody that isnt bothered you seem to post alot trying to "out" me.

Im not sure if you understand the word reinvent however a basic click on my username would show ive been a member on here for nearly 20 years with the same Airdrie based username so I must have have been reinventing myself before I invented myself.

You have got me though. When I was 20 I was too scared to tell people id never meet online that I was a Rangers fan so I pretended I was an Airdrie fan. Ive kept it up for nearly 20 years instead of creating another username showing my true self.  You must know some really sad individuals if you think thats how normal humans behave.

Im glad im noticeable enough to you that you keep track of my posting history though. 

Btw, for being an Airdrie fan is 95% of the time pretty rubbish so my I chose the wrong team to go undercover with!!!

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

For somebody that isnt bothered you seem to post alot trying to "out" me.

Im not sure if you understand the word reinvent however a basic click on my username would show ive been a member on here for nearly 20 years with the same Airdrie based username so I must have have been reinventing myself before I invented myself.

You have got me though. When I was 20 I was too scared to tell people id never meet online that I was a Rangers fan so I pretended I was an Airdrie fan. Ive kept it up for nearly 20 years instead of creating another username showing my true self.  You must know some really sad individuals if you think thats how normal humans behave.

Im glad im noticeable enough to you that you keep track of my posting history though. 

Btw, for being an Airdrie fan is 95% of the time pretty rubbish so my I chose the wrong team to go undercover with!!!

Ffs! 😂

Another rambling monologue! I can’t even be bothered reading it.

You should get out and get some vitamin D in your face, lovely day out there 😎

57 minutes ago, slasher said:

Ffs! 😂

Another rambling monologue! I can’t even be bothered reading it.

You should get out and get some vitamin D in your face, lovely day out there 😎

Sorry, forgot who I was dealing with. Will keep words short for you in future.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

@Fairbairn @EddardStark @Hertsscot

Whats your thoughts on Beales transfer policy so farm, It seems to be all english championship players. With Ange gone, this could be a chance for Rangers but I dont see how they overcome Celtic with that level of player. 

I think Butland is a good signing.  The other 2 I don't know much about.  Worth pointing out though that in a recent interview Bisgrove stated that Beale did have a decent budget and it wasn't dependent on us reaching the UCL.  He's not spent a penny on the 3 players he's signed so far so I'd expect the level of quality to improve. We can't spend £Ms on every player we bring in so being shrewd in the Bosman market is essential to top up the squad. 

The boy Cifuentes looks to be a decent player and is apparently a done deal and I like the look of both Haji Wright and Cyriel Dessers who we're heavily linked with, both of whom played in Serie A last season.

Also worth pointing out Celtic skooshed the league in a season where their best players included a guy who couldn't get a game for Spurs, a guy signed from Charlton and a smattering of players from the J League who weren't exactly lauded when they first signed.  Raskin and Cantwell undoubtedly improved us last season so I'm cautiously optimistic that Beale has a better eye for a player than GVB did.

I'm more worried about the distinct lack of Scots in the squad and can see us lining up with none at all on quite a few occasions next season.

Edited by Fairbairn

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

@Fairbairn @EddardStark @Hertsscot

Whats your thoughts on Beales transfer policy so farm, It seems to be all english championship players. With Ange gone, this could be a chance for Rangers but I dont see how they overcome Celtic with that level of player. 

Early days I think. Butland's a good signing, Dowell I really don't know much about, Sterling I think can provide a bit of cover for both full backs, I don't know whether that means some of our existing players in that position might be moved on. There's still a fair bit of dead wood in the squad that needs moving out. The key is when we do begin to spend significant money because it's in those signings he'll be judged.

About the Championship in general, I'd say it's as good as the SPFL and if you picked a select eleven from the Championship they'd probably compete for top three places in Scotland but I don't think they'd win it. So whilst you wouldn't get any Championship team winning the league, there are none the less good players in that league. 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Cheers for the response, I obviously disagree with @Hertsscot re Butland. Time will tell where Rangers go from here

Like @Fairbairn I would prefer to see more scots playing regularly 

I think we'd all like to see more Scots playing regularly.  Its a shame that Gilmour and Patterson, even Wilson and Mebude were gone before they were first team regulars.  I hope that we're not signing second rate English players and depriving the likes of King, Devine and Lowry the opportunity to develop.  At the end of the day the manger sees much more of them them I do so he'll make decisions based on their ability.

5 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Early days I think. Butland's a good signing, Dowell I really don't know much about, Sterling I think can provide a bit of cover for both full backs, I don't know whether that means some of our existing players in that position might be moved on. There's still a fair bit of dead wood in the squad that needs moving out. The key is when we do begin to spend significant money because it's in those signings he'll be judged.

About the Championship in general, I'd say it's as good as the SPFL and if you picked a select eleven from the Championship they'd probably compete for top three places in Scotland but I don't think they'd win it. So whilst you wouldn't get any Championship team winning the league, there are none the less good players in that league. 

Do you mean that if you picked the best player in every position from the championship you dont think they would win the Scottish Prem?

7 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Do you mean that if you picked the best player in every position from the championship you dont think they would win the Scottish Prem?

It was really badly expressed. Last year for instance, I don't think Burnley or Sheffield United would win the SPFL but I do think they'd be challenging. I do think some individual players in the Championship could improve Celtic or Rangers squad and maybe their first team. 

12 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

I think we'd all like to see more Scots playing regularly.  Its a shame that Gilmour and Patterson, even Wilson and Mebude were gone before they were first team regulars.  I hope that we're not signing second rate English players and depriving the likes of King, Devine and Lowry the opportunity to develop.  At the end of the day the manger sees much more of them them I do so he'll make decisions based on their ability.

It's difficult for Beale and Rangers.  There's not really that many Scottish players that we could realistically sign that would improve the first team. The ones who would improve us like McGinn, McTominay are out of our league financially and the ones we could afford probably don't make us any stronger.  So the options for Beale are either to buy non Scots in or promote from within however if the quality isn't there to promote then that's not really his fault and his hands are tied. 

The responsibility therefore lies with the Academy to ensure each incoming manager has a selection of players ready to step up but it's something we've not really managed as of yet (although the recent trend of English teams hoovering up talent before they get close to the first team such as Gilmour, Wilson and to a lesser degree Patterson somewhat hamstrings that process).  It's a bit of a vicious circle that I'm not sure I see ending any time soon.

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

It was really badly expressed. Last year for instance, I don't think Burnley or Sheffield United would win the SPFL but I do think they'd be challenging. I do think some individual players in the Championship could improve Celtic or Rangers squad and maybe their first team. 

Its funny because I read it as the Championships best 11 players wouldnt win the Scots Prem and my initial thought was that it was a ridiculous comment but then I looked at the team of the year and I had 2nd thoughts. (Diallo from Man Utd, on loan at Sunderland made it and he was largely useless at Rangers)

There were a few players in there that clearly are better than anything we have in Scotland, like the Watford boy just sold to Brighton but that gap this year isnt nearly as much.

I think the OF firm could certainly cherry pick players from the Championship and improve their teams. Rangers seem to be going down the route of getting guys just out of academys or those who showed good promise but then bave went off the boil with the hope of turning them around. Its probably a sensible model as the days of buying top players are long gone. 

44 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

It's difficult for Beale and Rangers.  There's not really that many Scottish players that we could realistically sign that would improve the first team. The ones who would improve us like McGinn, McTominay are out of our league financially and the ones we could afford probably don't make us any stronger.  So the options for Beale are either to buy non Scots in or promote from within however if the quality isn't there to promote then that's not really his fault and his hands are tied. 

The responsibility therefore lies with the Academy to ensure each incoming manager has a selection of players ready to step up but it's something we've not really managed as of yet (although the recent trend of English teams hoovering up talent before they get close to the first team such as Gilmour, Wilson and to a lesser degree Patterson somewhat hamstrings that process).  It's a bit of a vicious circle that I'm not sure I see ending any time soon.

There is an element of truth in this but I disagree about hands being tied. The OF have always had the youth players in terms of talent / potential. They have consistently shown over decades that they have no desire to promote from within.

2 years ago Patterson replaced an injured Taviner and got rave reviews (dropped with very limited gametime on Tavs return). Last year Lowry got motm in several games when Hagi got injured. (Dropped as soon as established players were available again and career has stalled since). This year Devine replaced Barasic at LB, even though he is a right back by trade and played brilliantly, also getting at least 1 motm (dropped as soon as Barasic was fit and didnt see a minute at RB even though Tav plays every game and league was gone). Throw in McCrorie who came in for an OF a cpl of years back, played well and kept a clean sheet, never to be seen again until the end of this season where again kept clean sheet after clean sheet (Rangers sign a new number 1)

So the opportunities are there but not taken. Its no wonder none of these kids go onto make it the club.

I always remember when Burchill came through at Celtic. Looks an awesome talent but was behind Larsson, Hartson and Sutton in the pecking order. For a young player you can accept that however he kept scoring when given minutes. Larsson and Hartson then got injured and as a young player who has done the business you would expect the chance to prove you can be the man. Im sure Celtic then went out and signed a 35 year old Ian Wright.

Same for Ross McCormick at Rangers. He went on loan to league 1 in England as scored a stupid amount of goals. People were asking if he could cut it at Rangers, Rangers were something like 10 points behind Celtic at new year but instead of playing McCormick and seeing if he could cut it, they sent him back out in loan and continued to play an injured Mols who they knew would retire at end of season. McCormick continued to score goals but come the summer the question remained, could he do it at Rangers. He then moved on and got about 30 million in transfer fees in his career. Who knows what might have happened if Burchill or McCormick had been given a run in the teams.

Nothing ever changes.

18 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

There is an element of truth in this but I disagree about hands being tied. The OF have always had the youth players in terms of talent / potential. They have consistently shown over decades that they have no desire to promote from within.

2 years ago Patterson replaced an injured Taviner and got rave reviews (dropped with very limited gametime on Tavs return). Last year Lowry got motm in several games when Hagi got injured. (Dropped as soon as established players were available again and career has stalled since). This year Devine replaced Barasic at LB, even though he is a right back by trade and played brilliantly, also getting at least 1 motm (dropped as soon as Barasic was fit and didnt see a minute at RB even though Tav plays every game and league was gone). Throw in McCrorie who came in for an OF a cpl of years back, played well and kept a clean sheet, never to be seen again until the end of this season where again kept clean sheet after clean sheet (Rangers sign a new number 1)

So the opportunities are there but not taken. Its no wonder none of these kids go onto make it the club.

I always remember when Burchill came through at Celtic. Looks an awesome talent but was behind Larsson, Hartson and Sutton in the pecking order. For a young player you can accept that however he kept scoring when given minutes. Larsson and Hartson then got injured and as a young player who has done the business you would expect the chance to prove you can be the man. Im sure Celtic then went out and signed a 35 year old Ian Wright.

Same for Ross McCormick at Rangers. He went on loan to league 1 in England as scored a stupid amount of goals. People were asking if he could cut it at Rangers, Rangers were something like 10 points behind Celtic at new year but instead of playing McCormick and seeing if he could cut it, they sent him back out in loan and continued to play an injured Mols who they knew would retire at end of season. McCormick continued to score goals but come the summer the question remained, could he do it at Rangers. He then moved on and got about 30 million in transfer fees in his career. Who knows what might have happened if Burchill or McCormick had been given a run in the teams.

Nothing ever changes.

I get the point you're making, and I think we've had part of this conversation before, however Tavernier has been our most important player and club captain for about 7 years now.  There's barely a team out there who would drop a player of that stature who hadn't dropped dramatically in form for a player who, as well as he was playing, wasn't an upgrade on Tav.  Added to that us getting a ridiculous offer from Everton for him, selling Patterson was the right decision.  Devine, as well as he played, isn't at this stage an upgrade on Barisic and while King did well when he came in I think the hosing he got in a few Champions league games meant it was right to take him back out for his own benefit.  I've no doubt he'll see more game time this season.  Lowry looks a player but it's worth noting that his performances last season came in dead rubbers and there continue to be rumours circulating about his billy big baws attitude.  At the moment, McCrorie (Robby) is the only one I think can have a genuine gripe about not getting more game time should be find himself benched next season (which I assume he will).

I think you might be getting slightly mixed up with Ross McCormack.  He only had one load while at Rangers which was to Doncaster Rovers where he scored 5 in 19 at League One level so not exactly setting the heather on fire.  It wasn't until he moved on from Motherwell to Cardiff 2 years after leaving Rangers that he started to score a decent amount of goals at Championship level for them, Leeds and Fulham.  Again, from memory, during his time at Rangers he wasn't doing anything to warrant taking the jersey off the better players in the team.

4 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

I get the point you're making, and I think we've had part of this conversation before, however Tavernier has been our most important player and club captain for about 7 years now.  There's barely a team out there who would drop a player of that stature who hadn't dropped dramatically in form for a player who, as well as he was playing, wasn't an upgrade on Tav.  Added to that us getting a ridiculous offer from Everton for him, selling Patterson was the right decision.  Devine, as well as he played, isn't at this stage an upgrade on Barisic and while King did well when he came in I think the hosing he got in a few Champions league games meant it was right to take him back out for his own benefit.  I've no doubt he'll see more game time this season.  Lowry looks a player but it's worth noting that his performances last season came in dead rubbers and there continue to be rumours circulating about his billy big baws attitude.  At the moment, McCrorie (Robby) is the only one I think can have a genuine gripe about not getting more game time should be find himself benched next season (which I assume he will).

I think you might be getting slightly mixed up with Ross McCormack.  He only had one load while at Rangers which was to Doncaster Rovers where he scored 5 in 19 at League One level so not exactly setting the heather on fire.  It wasn't until he moved on from Motherwell to Cardiff 2 years after leaving Rangers that he started to score a decent amount of goals at Championship level for them, Leeds and Fulham.  Again, from memory, during his time at Rangers he wasn't doing anything to warrant taking the jersey off the better players in the team.

You might be right about McCormick. I just remember about the time lots of people calling for him to get a chance to see what he could do instead of playing Mols when the league was already gone and Mols was retiring.

Your assessment of the above players is correct but my general point is very very rarely will a young player be better than the guy with the shirt at the moment he takes over from them. Look at Man Utd from 95. Pretty much none of them were better than the guys Ferguson sold at the point of sale. Ferguson just knee that if he gave them all game time they would surpass the current players.

There is zero reason why Devine couldnt have got some starts or signigicant sub time over Tav at end of the season. (Unless he was injured).

My point being that the OF need to start playing youth in order to fulfil their potential instead of not playing them and then using that as a justification for them not being good enough.

1 hour ago, mr mojo risin said:

Every story linking Aberdeen with a signing bangs on about new UEFA rules on homegrown players, would have thought Celtic & Rangers would have to pay just as much attention to that?

Shankland linked to Rangers, would seem a very obvious Scottish transfer!

I think so would Nisbet have been?