Team for Norway - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team for Norway

er yir macaroon

11 hours ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Gunn

Hendry.   Porteous.    Tierney

Hickey.       Mctominay.  Mcgregor.     Robbo

Mcginn.        Christie

Dykes

Souttar ahead of Porteous for me. Also probably an argument for Gilmour to start but it could only be for McTominay as McGregor is nailed on. But then after the last games, so is McTominay! So I guess Gilmour can’t start

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Souttar ahead of Porteous for me. Also probably an argument for Gilmour to start but it could only be for McTominay as McGregor is nailed on. But then after the last games, so is McTominay! So I guess Gilmour can’t start

Not sure why anyone would want porteous dropped after his last performance for Scotland. 

1 hour ago, Bzzzz said:

Best way to deal with Haaland? stick Porteous on him for the game? I'm no tactical genius but what I've seen he tends to be less effective when he's got someone all over him... Porteous out of all the defensive bunch is the most energetic and enthusiastic...  

Haaland would have Porteous sent off within 30 mins. Haaland is a big physical unit who loves a one to one battle however he is also super switched on and smart with it. Porteous is still abit eager and nieve atm to do that role. Would need somebody much more disciplined. (Ie if it was midfield then McGreggor could be trusted).

Best way to stop Haaland is by getting bodies around him and stopping good supply. He will win long balls etc but we can deal with that. We cant allow their midfield time on the ball in our half unless we have lots of players behind the ball.

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

Haaland would have Porteous sent off within 30 mins. Haaland is a big physical unit who loves a one to one battle however he is also super switched on and smart with it. Porteous is still abit eager and nieve atm to do that role. Would need somebody much more disciplined. (Ie if it was midfield then McGreggor could be trusted).

Best way to stop Haaland is by getting bodies around him and stopping good supply. He will win long balls etc but we can deal with that. We cant allow their midfield time on the ball in our half unless we have lots of players behind the ball.

He certainly had that about him when he played for the wee team but in a Scotland jersey his discipline and composure has been excellent. Will be interesting, over the years we've been undone too many times by "one man teams"... 

13 hours ago, The Black Bra said:

I think there’s a strong case for Gilmour to start instead of McTominay, he’s done well for Brighton last month or so, where McTomnay is only just back from injury. Unless Gilmour plays next to McGregor and McTominay plays further forward? Would that leave us too short up front?

McGregor, McGinn, Gilmour and McTominay is a pretty impressive midfield four. 

McGregor isn’t nailed on. I’d go for Gilmour who’s excelling at a far higher level. Nothing against McGregor but he seems to give the ball away a couple of times per game of late. Gilmour is fresh and McGregor has had a long season. 

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Porteous has the advantage of having Clarke as his coach. SC will have porteous and the other 1 or 2 CBs as ready as you can be for a super human striker. 

Haaland has faced the best defences on the planet and still destroyed them. The difference here is his supply isn't coming from the best of the best which is where I agree we should aim to starv the supply

32 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

McGregor isn’t nailed on. I’d go for Gilmour who’s excelling at a far higher level. Nothing against McGregor but he seems to give the ball away a couple of times per game of late. Gilmour is fresh and McGregor has had a long season. 

I’d say McGregor is as nailed on a player as we have. Him and McGinn are two you can hang your hat on starting 100% IMO

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

Yer kidding surely?

Mcgregors been immense for scotland the last few years. Hes one of the first names on the teamsheet for me. Probably only mcginn and tierney are ahead of him in the pecking order. 

5 hours ago, ProudScot said:

I’d say McGregor is as nailed on a player as we have. Him and McGinn are two you can hang your hat on starting 100% IMO

Couldn't agree more with this. Mcgregor has excelled with Scotland recently and he will give his all despite the club season being over 

I have to laugh at some of the experts on here, McGregor is number one pick for Scotland.

------------------ Gunn

--------- Porto -- Hendry -- Tierney ----

Hickey --------------------------------- Robbo

----------- McTominay --- McGregor

--- Christie ----------------------- McGinn

------------------ Dykes

2 hours ago, runningtings said:

I have to laugh at some of the experts on here, McGregor is number one pick for Scotland.

------------------ Gunn

------------------ Dykes

During the Euros, I thought it was almost a passing of the torch between McGregor and Gilmour. McGregor was going through a long rough patch, and Gilmour seemed invincible at the time. I couldn't have been more wrong.

McGregor has propelled himself up a level since becoming Celtic captain, and it turned out Gilmour had a bit more developing to do than we realised.

Still, I think he'll be his long term successor.

3 hours ago, runningtings said:

------------------ Gunn

------------------ Dykes

Think that will be the team although we might see Souttar ahead of Porteous 

Seen it suggested a couple of times already, but I’d like to see McTominay tried in the ‘Christie/Armstrong’ role. This would allow for Gilmour to go in alongside McGregor. 

I think that midfield four of McGregor, Gilmour, McTominay and McGinn would be capable of controlling the game against Norway, nullifying Odegaard and starving Haaland as well as being capable of creating and taking chances.

8 hours ago, BookhouseBoys said:

Seen it suggested a couple of times already, but I’d like to see McTominay tried in the ‘Christie/Armstrong’ role. This would allow for Gilmour to go in alongside McGregor. 

I think that midfield four of McGregor, Gilmour, McTominay and McGinn would be capable of controlling the game against Norway, nullifying Odegaard and starving Haaland as well as being capable of creating and taking chances.

This is the only potential change I can see (and I would say it is probably quite unlikely) - McTominay further forward playing a similar role to McGinn and Gilmour sitting next to McGregor. Otherwise, as others have noted, McGregor is an absolute stick on to start and we will play a back 3 / 5.

I could see the logic in us changing to a 4 vs Georgia but I don't think he'll do it - he's shown before he likes to spend his preparation time in a double header working on one formation and then he will stick to it regardless of whether one team is 'weaker'. So, most likely we will see the team suggested by runningtings and others with only the centrebacks to be decided. We will then probably see the same formation against Georgia but perhaps a small amount of rotation with Gilmour starting and possibly Armstrong over Christie.

15 hours ago, runningtings said:

------------------ Gunn

------------------ Dykes

15 hours ago, runningtings said:

------------------ Gunn

------------------ Dykes

McGregor’s a very good player. Recently he’s been giving the ball away with unforced errors - I hope he’s not getting leggy after a long hard season.

Gilmour is on fire. I do agree with other posters that McTominay could replace Christie and play a bit further forward, which would allow McGregor to sit with Gilmour. 

46 minutes ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

This is the only potential change I can see (and I would say it is probably quite unlikely) - McTominay further forward playing a similar role to McGinn and Gilmour sitting next to McGregor. Otherwise, as others have noted, McGregor is an absolute stick on to start and we will play a back 3 / 5.

I could see the logic in us changing to a 4 vs Georgia but I don't think he'll do it - he's shown before he likes to spend his preparation time in a double header working on one formation and then he will stick to it regardless of whether one team is 'weaker'. So, most likely we will see the team suggested by runningtings and others with only the centrebacks to be decided. We will then probably see the same formation against Georgia but perhaps a small amount of rotation with Gilmour starting and possibly Armstrong over Christie.

I actually think that the 5 at the back is a more attacking formation for us than the 4.  

Playing 5 basically allows Tierney to roam and teams havent worked out how to mark him yet. Imagine setting up as a right back and part of your role was to watch out for overlapping runs from the opposition centre back!!!

On 5/30/2023 at 12:06 PM, er yir macaroon said:

McGregor is nailed on.

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

McGregor’s a very good player. Recently he’s been giving the ball away with unforced errors - I hope he’s not getting leggy after a long hard season.

Gilmour is on fire. I do agree with other posters that McTominay could replace Christie and play a bit further forward, which would allow McGregor to sit with Gilmour. 

Gilmour has been playing well the last 3-4 weeks but he's also not played 90 mins. 

He's usually subbed after 50/55 mins if he starts. 

McGregor is a nailed on starter, he'll have had 2 weeks since his last game. 

I'm a huge BG fan but can't see him starting over McGregor. Especially given how McGregor played in our last game. 

On 5/31/2023 at 12:24 AM, BookhouseBoys said:

One of the early criticisms of McTominay, when he was playing in midfield, was that he would roam forward and be caught out of position a bit too often. That's because he was supposed to be playing CDM.

However, now that he has more than proven himself to be an attacking force, why not give him the freedom we allow Christie/Armstrong.

So, when playing better teams, and we are under the cosh, we can add a battler into the middle of the park. But when we are on the ball it takes the defensive duties off him and we can let him do his own thing joining in attacks.

A midfield of McGregor, Gilmour, McGinn and McTominay would be exceptionally strong.

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

One of the early criticisms of McTominay, when he was playing in midfield, was that he would roam forward and be caught out of position a bit too often. That's because he was supposed to be playing CDM.

However, now that he has more than proven himself to be an attacking force, why not give him the freedom we allow Christie/Armstrong.

So, when playing better teams, and we are under the cosh, we can add a battler into the middle of the park. But when we are on the ball it takes the defensive duties off him and we can let him do his own thing joining in attacks.

A midfield of McGregor, Gilmour, McGinn and McTominay would be exceptionally strong.

It would and McTominay would be real threat in the opposition box.