Team for Norway - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team for Norway

er yir macaroon

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Do not think you can drop Porteous after his performances since getting into the team.

Souttar seems to have found form at the right time (maybe to late?) that he could take Hanleys spot.

I'd make the same argument for Hendry. His season at club level has been a bit all over with injuries and going between Belgium & Italy but his performances for Scotland haven't wavered and if he's fit then I think he should play in the middle with KT & Porteous either side.
Souttar has probably timed it right to be in with a shout for a callup with Hanley & McKenna out so it's probably between Souttar, Cooper & Hyam for 2 squad places I reckon

37 minutes ago, runningtings said:

If Hanley is fit and available he'll be in the middle, that's a stick on so it's really just decisions on Porto/Henry/Souttar,  Armstrong/Christie and Gilmour/McTominay for me.

Hanley had surgery on his achilles so probably out until next season

Edited by csinclair

So the squad are having a training camp in Spain prior to next month's games.  That can only be a good thing surely.  Given what happened at the same time last year!  Although there won't be the the same love-in for Norway as there was for Ukraine so that should also help 🤔

13 hours ago, todd said:

So the squad are having a training camp in Spain prior to next month's games.  That can only be a good thing surely.  Given what happened at the same time last year!  Although there won't be the the same love-in for Norway as there was for Ukraine so that should also help 🤔

Ah brilliant! Like a mini pre-tournament get together. The month the squad spent together for the Euros was invaluable.

The squad has actually evolved a hell of a lot since then. Hopefully Clarke sees this as a good opportunity to call up some youngsters, for the camp at least e.g Doak, Max Johnston, Hackney, Mebude etc

It'll also be great for those that didn't make the Euros squad, like Porteous, Souttar, Gunn, Ferguson, Hickey

59 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Ah brilliant! Like a mini pre-tournament get together. The month the squad spent together for the Euros was invaluable.

The squad has actually evolved a hell of a lot since then. Hopefully Clarke sees this as a good opportunity to call up some youngsters, for the camp at least e.g Doak, Max Johnston, Hackney, Mebude etc

It'll also be great for those that didn't make the Euros squad, like Porteous, Souttar, Gunn, Ferguson, Hickey

Would be good to see, especially who's on Clarkes mind, also maybe Mccrorie keeper, Keep Hyam in there and Conway from Bristol City as a young striker. 

On 5/20/2023 at 8:05 AM, Tartan blood said:

All those guys named in the under 21s today so no calling up for them. 

1 hour ago, theabsentee said:

Surely Souttar should play ahead of Hendry who is unlikely to be match fit 

Too tough to call. Hendry has proven his worth for us before and handy at set pieces so he'd be in my starting line-up but as you rightly say he is short of match practice but that could change over the next few weeks now that he is fit again. I would have no qualms with Souttar starting either though.

If Hendry is fit then I'd have to go with him in the middle of defence with Porteous & KT either side. Souttar is a very good player but I don't think he's really done enough to get picked ahead of a guy who's put in some big performances in the past year for Scotland

9 minutes ago, csinclair said:

If Hendry is fit then I'd have to go with him in the middle of defence with Porteous & KT either side. Souttar is a very good player but I don't think he's really done enough to get picked ahead of a guy who's put in some big performances in the past year for Scotland

Agreed. Hendry has done it in big matches and weighed in with handy goals too and is more experienced/tried and tested at international level.

6 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Gunn

Hendry.   Porteous.    Tierney

Hickey.       Mctominay.  Mcgregor.     Robbo

Mcginn.        Christie

Dykes

Reckon that will be the starting eleven.I think there is a case for Shankland or Nisbet to start instead of Dykes who hasn't exactly been knocking them in,but think Clarke might stick with Dykes .

32 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Gunn

Hendry.   Porteous.    Tierney

Hickey.       Mctominay.  Mcgregor.     Robbo

Mcginn.        Christie

Dykes

I'd swap Porteous and Hendry around but apart from that I think that's a decent lineup.

I think there’s a strong case for Gilmour to start instead of McTominay, he’s done well for Brighton last month or so, where McTomnay is only just back from injury. Unless Gilmour plays next to McGregor and McTominay plays further forward? Would that leave us too short up front?

McGregor, McGinn, Gilmour and McTominay is a pretty impressive midfield four. 

36 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

I think there’s a strong case for Gilmour to start instead of McTominay, he’s done well for Brighton last month or so, where McTomnay is only just back from injury. Unless Gilmour plays next to McGregor and McTominay plays further forward? Would that leave us too short up front?

McGregor, McGinn, Gilmour and McTominay is a pretty impressive midfield four. 

All things being equal that would be our strongest starting midfield imo. 

My only slight concern is Gilmour still seems to player watch quite abit defensively although to be fair so does McTominay. Both seem to semi track the man, so they are defo aware of them but never actually get close enough to them to stop them doing something with the ball if they receive it.

I imagine thats why Clarke sometimes plays the likes of Jack or McLean beside McGreggor.

Best way to deal with Haaland? stick Porteous on him for the game? I'm no tactical genius but what I've seen he tends to be less effective when he's got someone all over him... Porteous out of all the defensive bunch is the most energetic and enthusiastic...