So.. Who plays football, and where? - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

So.. Who plays football, and where?

Good thread for a laugh. Let's talk about who we play for, and how good we are in our own minds🤣. I just signed up for over 50 football with my old club. We play Friday nights. Great thing is I will be reunited with my old mates, and especially my best man at my wedding, Big Billy fae Kilmarnock. I am looking forward to this now that I am retired. We play Friday nights, my wife is going to come and watch this every game. I feel for her🤣

Anyone else play football, and where do you play.. 🙂🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

I play and run a Friday night game via a mental health charity. Its mostly over 40s who used to play at amateur or in some cases semi pro level. 

We play anything from 7 to 11 aside depending on how many turn up, we also play or try to play a charity match every quarter against other charity teams from around the county.

The Charity recently set up a few womens nights and its first walking football night for the really fucking old

12 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I play and run a Friday night game via a mental health charity. Its mostly over 40s who used to play at amateur or in some cases semi pro level. 

We play anything from 7 to 11 aside depending on how many turn up, we also play or try to play a charity match every quarter against other charity teams from around the county.

The Charity recently set up a few womens nights and its first walking football night for the really fucking old

Quality VA. It's amazing what a wee kickabout can do..👍

I play 5s indoor on a Monday, then anything from 5s to 8s on a Thursday outdoor depending on how many turn up.

I've been playing the Monday game for nearly 18 years now, there's still a few from when I first played but I always find it amazing how the group transforms over time through friends of friends coming along.

I do loads of exercise but I thoroughly enjoy my two games a week and I'll be playing on as long as I can.

Played right through at amateur level in the leagues in Edinburgh until my mid 30s. Played 5s/7s up from 18 up to early 40s until I started getting bother with my hips. My recent hip-replacement means no-contact sports now so I’m reduced to a kick about with the laddie and helping at his club and school sessions

By the way, know that phrase “His legs have gone” - when that eventually kicks in you certainly know about it 😔

1 hour ago, McTeeko said:

Played right through at amateur level in the leagues in Edinburgh until my mid 30s. Played 5s/7s up from 18 up to early 40s until I started getting bother with my hips. My recent hip-replacement means no-contact sports now so I’m reduced to a kick about with the laddie and helping at his club and school sessions

By the way, know that phrase “His legs have gone” - when that eventually kicks in you certainly know about it 😔

Hope you don't mind me asking.  Who did you play for in Edinburgh.   I played amateur for a wee while.  The top ones were Telman Star, Links Utd and Liberton Cropley.  Really good teams at that time.

Playing days are over, only played at Sunday level as I was always out Saturdays. 

Coach the loons team now and there’s no way I’m chasing 15 year old kids about a football pitch anymore, too old for that nonsense. 

Played for the Uni then a wee bit amateur in Dundee in my early 30's before my knees said no. Odd 5s through my 40's but I started coaching my wee boy's team just as we came out of lockdown and probably play about an hour and a half a week with the boys at training. Knees holding up but although it was pretty easy to begin with, the boys are getting bigger and better and I turn 56 next week 😂 They're all in boots/shinnies for training and myself and the other coaches are getting cuts and bruises as the boys are clattering us every chance they get 😂 We encourage them to be competitive 👍

Just now, dandydunn said:

Playing days are over, only played at Sunday level as I was always out Saturdays. 

Coach the loons team now and there’s no way I’m chasing 15 year old kids about a football pitch anymore, too old for that nonsense. 

Ours are 2011's and just about to switch to full 11 a side from 9's. I can just about keep up with them but give it another year and the tables will be turned. I take the school team too so I take 3 training sessions and 2 games a week. Absolutely hate the reffing but the boy's clubs get official refs when they move to 11's. I'll need to keep doing the school reffing though 🤦🏻🙄

I’ve played all my life at various levels until recently. Was at Motherwell briefly as a kid and had trials with Dumbarton and the jambos. When that didn’t work out I played for a variety of junior/amateur teams until work started to make that too difficult and I was reduced to playing 5’s weekly and more latterly 7’s. Apart from a year in my late 40’s when I had disc trouble in my back I played right up until lockdown then got back into it when thing’s opened up again.

Anyway, last year I passed a kidney stone (not for the faint hearted) and the doc sent me for a CT scan to check kidney function. Anyway it turns oot ma kidneys are just fine but I’ve a double hernia! So I’m on the waiting list for the op but football is out for now. I’ll probably be 57 by the time it’s done which will probably be too late to go back to it……..but you never know!

3 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Ours are 2011's and just about to switch to full 11 a side from 9's. I can just about keep up with them but give it another year and the tables will be turned. I take the school team too so I take 3 training sessions and 2 games a week. Absolutely hate the reffing but the boy's clubs get official refs when they move to 11's. I'll need to keep doing the school reffing though 🤦🏻🙄

We play the boys in a parents match every summer, they’ve never beat us yet, but I’ve a feeling that is all about to change, our keeper is an overweight parent that cant catch a ball, there’s is a 6’2” 15 year old who doesn’t give a fuck who he hits 😂

20 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

We play the boys in a parents match every summer, they’ve never beat us yet, but I’ve a feeling that is all about to change, our keeper is an overweight parent that cant catch a ball, there’s is a 6’2” 15 year old who doesn’t give a fuck who he hits 😂

The last time I played was about 4 years ago against the laddies team.  Astroturf.  Luckily it was last day before summer holidays as my knee blew up.  Plastic pitches !!

10 hours ago, SamP said:

Hope you don't mind me asking.  Who did you play for in Edinburgh.   I played amateur for a wee while.  The top ones were Telman Star, Links Utd and Liberton Cropley.  Really good teams at that time.

Pentland Thistle and Clerie Hearts, among others over the years. Clerie were a cracking team but I was only 19/20 when I was with them and kept getting emptied from guys in their 30s. 

5 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Pentland Thistle and Clerie Hearts, among others over the years. Clerie were a cracking team but I was only 19/20 when I was with them and kept getting emptied from guys in their 30s. 

Aye. Heard of Pentland Thistle but no Clerie. Never played against though.  Telman were a good team at that time but we beat them to win the league on last day of the season.  Were Pentland in that different league with Liberton Cropley?  Don't know if that his how you spell. it.  It was semi professional and you had to own your own ground at that time.  They beat us in the East of Scotland Cup Final and Gordon Bailiie was who I played against.  He went on to play with Newtongrange Star.  Met him a few years later and he remembered me.  Great guy.

Had to retire. Got diagnosed with arthritis in my big toe about five years back. Really gutted. In the following summer I did take part in the teachers 4x100m at sports day and won my first athletics gold.  Few months later I played in a staff v student game, came on as a sub. First five minutes was okay but next five I struggled, there's a limit to how far adrenaline can take you. It's a shame as I've friends who still play regularly and although I'm not as quick as I once was I still think I'm reasonably fit.

Husband played football all his life until about 6 years ago and had to give it up because of his knees. 2 weeks ago he got asked to play 5 asides. He is not particularly overweight and is still pretty active so decided to give it a go.
He fell flat on his face in the first 5 mins and despite spending most of the game in goals he can now barely walk his back is so painful. A wee lesson to anyone who thinks its a good idea to recommence your football career at 60 . Keep at it or retire gracefully 🙂

played competitive from the age of 17 till mid 30's under 18 youth,then junior,district (under 30's league in aberdeen)and amateur with a brief flirtation with sunday league  but being 5ft 7 and "nippy" I was getting halfed in most games and returned to 4th division amateur which allowed me to meet my old man on a saturday morning at his club for a couple of pints and still play in the afternoon...

had my leg broken by a twat from strathclyde A division whilst playing for the fire service  and that was the start of the decline in playing.

with having 4 boys my saturdays and sundays were taken up by school and boys club football for years,I did my refs badge as the schools were always short of refs and did that for a few years until one game when the abuse from the line got so bad,thank you mr and mrs shinnie and grandad shinnie,yes that shinnie from aberdeen.

started playing 7's with my watch and other fireys after a nightshift but since I retired 7 years ago I haven't kicked a ball and jokingly tell my kids who still play 5's if they are short let me know,I get out of breath going up stairs too fast now..

I have always loved sport. I have had a go at Football, Rugby League and Cricket and I loved playing them all. Unfortunately I was absolutely shite at each and every one. In fact the only thing I have ever been good at was Hurling. And that was Hurling abuse.

17 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Husband played football all his life until about 6 years ago and had to give it up because of his knees. 2 weeks ago he got asked to play 5 asides. He is not particularly overweight and is still pretty active so decided to give it a go.
He fell flat on his face in the first 5 mins and despite spending most of the game in goals he can now barely walk his back is so painful. A wee lesson to anyone who thinks its a good idea to recommence your football career at 60 . Keep at it or retire gracefully 🙂

I'm 56 tomorrow but despite frequent aches and pains, I'm still enjoying joining in with the drills and games at boy's club training 🤓️ As I said before, the boys are going to be doing me regularly in the next year or so. They're mostly 12 just now. 

9 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

I'm 56 tomorrow but despite frequent aches and pains, I'm still enjoying joining in with the drills and games at boy's club training 🤓️ As I said before, the boys are going to be doing me regularly in the next year or so. They're mostly 12 just now. 

Happy birthday for tomorrow 😊 🍻 Keep it going as long as you can, it can also be quite tough mentally when you stop something you enjoy , especially sport and exercise. 

3 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I'm gonnae have a kickaboot in Caithkin Park next Monday.. 🙂🙂🙂🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Tap over your heid when you score mind 😄

21 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Tap over your heid when you score mind 😄

🤣🤣🤣. Ahm buzzin mate. Can't believe I'm in Scotland in 6 days..🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🍺🍺🍺