Torp - Norway v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Torp

adamntg

FFS, so of course, when booking I neglected to do my due diligence and therefore did not find out that Torp is to Oslo as Manchester is to Glasgow. 

I assume I’m not the only tubesteak that has done this - there’s no train, a long and expensive bus ride (cutting it fine for early return on Sunday) or car hire that costs more for two days than a Ford Sierra i once bought.  

it only lasted a few days right enough, but it had a cracking stereo. 

Is everyone just bussing it are they?

9 hours ago, adamntg said:

FFS, so of course, when booking I neglected to do my due diligence and therefore did not find out that Torp is to Oslo as Manchester is to Glasgow. 

I assume I’m not the only tubesteak that has done this - there’s no train, a long and expensive bus ride (cutting it fine for early return on Sunday) or car hire that costs more for two days than a Ford Sierra i once bought.  

it only lasted a few days right enough, but it had a cracking stereo. 

Is everyone just bussing it are they?

We bussed it from Torp last time , took about 90 minutes to Oslo . Unless things have changed there were plenty busses which waited for each flight ...

9 hours ago, adamntg said:

sume I’m not the only tubesteak that has done this - there’s no train, a long and expensive bus ride (cutting it fine for early return on Sunday) or car hire that costs more for two days than

https://www.visitoslo.com/en/transport/transport-airport/sandefjord-torp/

There is a train!

Did Torp for the Vogts friendly many years ago... effectively just a shed in the middle of nowhere, but the links were not bad then (I would say Glasgow to Manchester is a bit of a stretch, as it took just under 2 hours from what I recall, so is more like Glasgow to Perth). 

From what I was told from a Norwegian I knew from Uni, Sandefjord which the airport serves, is a pretty sizable city and you can do the train to Oslo now (but the difference in time is something like minutes, rather than any great savings).

Ryanair time the buses for the flights, so there will most certainly be a bus for your flight (chances are it will depart about 4 hours before your departure)

Edited by wanderer

55 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Did Torp for the Vogts friendly many years ago... effectively just a shed in the middle of nowhere, but the links were not bad then (I would say Glasgow to Manchester is a bit of a stretch, as it took just under 2 hours from what I recall, so is more like Glasgow to Perth). 

From what I was told from a Norwegian I knew from Uni, Sandefjord which the airport serves, is a pretty sizable city and you can do the train to Oslo now (but the difference in time is something like minutes, rather than any great savings).

Ryanair time the buses for the flights, so there will most certainly be a bus for your flight (chances are it will depart about 4 hours before your departure)

Cheers. 

I can do Glasgow to Perth in an hour though - maybe Manchester was stretching it a bit. I’ll settle on Kendal.  

Getting back for the 10:30 flight on the Sunday morning is the worry, that’s what’s making me lean towards car hire. 

21 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Cheers. 

I can do Glasgow to Perth in an hour though - maybe Manchester was stretching it a bit. I’ll settle on Kendal.  

Getting back for the 10:30 flight on the Sunday morning is the worry, that’s what’s making me lean towards car hire. 

Going by the timetable, you should be on the 07:10 - 08:50 bus (£22 for a single, which when you compare to the Stansted Express in London, is actually not all that bad).... imagine Ryanair, so you will be checked in online, so you will be straight through security upon arrival at the airport (from memory its basically the size of Dundee Airport, certainly no bigger than Prestwick, so I doubt there will be much of a rush when you get there).

45 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

I was wondering when this topic would come up 😆

My cousin used to live in Oslo and booking the cheap flight to Torp not realizing the distance is a classic mistake

By Ryanair standards, Torp is not even the worst (as the crow flies, its not that far from Oslo, but the road shoots off in the opposite direction because of the shape of the coast line).... Frankfurt Hahn airport is marginally closer to Luxembourg City than it is to Frankfurt, and Dusseldorff Weeze, when you land and turn your phone on, you get a "welcome to the Netherlands" message when on the tarmac, and a "welcome to Germany" message at the terminal building.

8 minutes ago, wanderer said:

By Ryanair standards, Torp is not even the worst (as the crow flies, its not that far from Oslo, but the road shoots off in the opposite direction because of the shape of the coast line).... Frankfurt Hahn airport is marginally closer to Luxembourg City than it is to Frankfurt, and Dusseldorff Weeze, when you land and turn your phone on, you get a "welcome to the Netherlands" message when on the tarmac, and a "welcome to Germany" message at the terminal building.

Dusseldorf Weeze is quite a trap indeed

Paris Beauvais is another bad one.... years ago me and my wife were due to fly back to Prestwick from there, but the airport has a 11pm curfew, and our 10:45pm flight was late in getting in, so they put us up for two nights in Beauvais.

While a nice enough place, after 3 hours we were making our way to the train station in hope we could get a train to ANYWHERE just to save us from climbing the walls (Ryanair told us to keep receipts up to 100 Euro's, and after going for lunch in the sports bar in Beauvais, there was not much left for us to claim after that).

Edited by wanderer

• 2 weeks later...