Kilt in Home End: Country by Country - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Kilt in Home End: Country by Country

N4Footsoldier

Just a wee debate since I'm aware a lot more people will start having to go into the home end for away games with the demand for tickets at the moment. I've put together a list of classifications for wearing of Scotland gear/Kilt in home ends across all UEFA teams. Most of this is based on my own subjective judgement so would be glad to see some input and personal stories that give an insight into any of these:

Germany – OK

Netherlands – OK

Croatia – possibly not

Spain – OK with fans, with police/stewards possibly not

Italy – depending on location, probably ok

Denmark – Done myself, well received

Portugal – See Spain

Belgium – OK

Hungary – probably not

Switzerland – OK

Poland – Unless we pack out sections of home end, probably not

France – OK

Austria – OK

Czech Republic – OK

England - Unless we pack out sections of home end, probably not

Wales – OK

Israel -OK

Bosnia & Herzegovina – possibly not

Serbia – Absolutely not

Finland – OK

Ukraine – At the moment in neutral venues ok, in Ukraine possibly not

Iceland – OK

Norway – OK

Slovenia – OK

Rep of Ireland – OK

Albania – Done myself, not too well received but got away with it

Montenegro – Unsure

Romania – OK

Sweden – OK

Armenia – Probably not

Georgia – Unsure, defer to someone who has been

Greece – possibly not

Turkey - depending on location, probably not

Kazakhstan – OK

Luxembourg – OK

Azerbaijan – Unsure, possibly not

Kosovo – Unsure

Bulgaria – probably not

Faroe Islands – OK

North Macedonia - Unsure, defer to someone who has been

Slovakia – OK

Northern Ireland - Unless we pack out sections of home end, probably not

Cyprus – probably OK

Belarus – probably just about OK

Lithuania – OK

Gibraltar – OK, we probably fill their whole stadium

Estonia – OK

Latvia -OK

Moldova – OK

Malta – OK

Andorra - OK, we probably fill their whole stadium

San Marino - OK, we probably fill their whole stadium

Liechtenstein -OK

22 hours ago, dan cake said:

Wonder how some Scotland fans would react if we were getting beat at Hampden and had to stand next to folk dancing about dressed as Vikings or Bullfighters, some awfy big assumptions being made on this thread 

Exactly. 

You are bang on however - plenty would be raging at not being allowed into the home end dressed up like highlander but would have been raging when the poles were in our end celebrating in 2015. 

42 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Exactly. 

You are bang on however - plenty would be raging at not being allowed into the home end dressed up like highlander but would have been raging when the poles were in our end celebrating in 2015. 

I dont doubt many rage about such things. But I do doubt those doing the raging would be those desperate enough to follow Scotland away and buy tickets in the home end because they couldnt get them through the SFA.

As long as away fans arent being absolute dicks and trying to noise up the home fans, I really wouldnt have an issue with it and I dont think most who follow Scotland away would.......

Been in the away end a few times when I couldnt get tickets. Never had any bother. The most difficult was in Macedonia first time round, but that was because we had to go disguised as Macedonians to get past the police!

Thankfully the SFA had got the message out and given us the heads up.

Once we were in the ground the Macedonians were brand new. Even met one dressed in Scotland top in a kilt. He had swapped clothes with a Scottish guy he met in a bar as he knew the guy wouldnt get in. When challenged by the police he could obviously speak fluent Macedonian so they had to let him in!

Edited by Judith

1 hour ago, Judith said:

I dont doubt many rage about such things. But I do doubt those doing the raging would be those desperate enough to follow Scotland away and buy tickets in the home end because they couldnt get them through the SFA.

As long as away fans arent being absolute dicks and trying to noise up the home fans, I really wouldnt have an issue with it and I dont think most who follow Scotland away would.......

Been in the away end a few times when I couldnt get tickets. Never had any bother. The most difficult was in Macedonia first time round, but that was because we had to go disguised as Macedonians to get past the police!

Thankfully the SFA had got the message out and given us the heads up.

Once we were in the ground the Macedonians were brand new. Even met one dressed in Scotland top in a kilt. He had swapped clothes with a Scottish guy he met in a bar as he knew the guy wouldnt get in. When challenged by the police he could obviously speak fluent Macedonian so they had to let him in!

I was in the Macedonian end in 2008, kept myself to myself. All 6 of us got in but we weren't wearing colours. Never had much to shout about anyway! 

First and foremost, i want to see the game. I've been in the home end a couple of times abroad and i don't see point decreasing my chances of entry, just so i can wear colours/have a Scotland flag etc. 

Folk went to that game decked in colours despite the weeks of warnings - madness. 

For that Macedonia 2008 game I had home end tickets, somehow ended up in the away end (Scotland end) then sat next to two 10-pointers (the max at the time) on the plane home with official SSC tickets who DIDN’T get in. Whole thing was a farce. 

Pumped a’naw 😏

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Exactly. 

It's actually a belter of a topic to start in the 1st place...unbelievable stuff 

47 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

For that Macedonia 2008 game I had home end tickets, somehow ended up in the away end (Scotland end) then sat next to two 10-pointers (the max at the time) on the plane home with official SSC tickets who DIDN’T get in. Whole thing was a farce. 

Pumped a’naw 😏

Due to the heat and also that outside the away end was practically a building site I was delighted not to get in. The minute we heard the roar of the goal from the Macedonian fans pretty much everyone around me headed to the pub to watch

Edited by dan cake

4 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I was in the Macedonian end in 2008, kept myself to myself. All 6 of us got in but we weren't wearing colours. Never had much to shout about anyway! 

First and foremost, i want to see the game. I've been in the home end a couple of times abroad and i don't see point decreasing my chances of entry, just so i can wear colours/have a Scotland flag etc. 

Folk went to that game decked in colours despite the weeks of warnings - madness. 

I couldn't agree more with this. If you've spent the time & money to travel to game you want to get in. Folk aren't walking around in kilts & glengarrys all week back home.

22 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Certainly was the sensible option in Skopje!

Problem most fans have though is that most travel on budget airlines with the contents of a rucksack that fits under your seat! Not always room to bring "civvies".

In Skopje, I had a pair of white shorts and teainers. Had to go to the nearest tourist stall and by a Macedonia t-shirt!

It did the trick, and as you say, the game was pretty shit. But we still had a better exoerience in the shade than the Scotland fans in the official end stood in the blazing sun with no access to water.....

On 5/1/2023 at 10:24 AM, dan cake said:

Wonder how some Scotland fans would react if we were getting beat at Hampden and had to stand next to folk dancing about dressed as Vikings or Bullfighters, some awfy big assumptions being made on this thread 

In fairness folk at Hampden are raging at all manners of things whether its alcohol, smoke bombs, people standing or anything else that suggests some kind of atmosphere taking place. May as well add some cultural dress to the mix

4 hours ago, Judith said:

Certainly was the sensible option in Skopje!

Problem most fans have though is that most travel on budget airlines with the contents of a rucksack that fits under your seat! Not always room to bring "civvies".

In Skopje, I had a pair of white shorts and teainers. Had to go to the nearest tourist stall and by a Macedonia t-shirt!

It did the trick, and as you say, the game was pretty shit. But we still had a better exoerience in the shade than the Scotland fans in the official end stood in the blazing sun with no access to water.....

There was access to water but I wouldn’t have drunk it. Coming out of a hose supplied by the ground staff. In fairness I think it was probably more designed for hosing yourself down, but some were definitely drinking.

Big scare for me that day weren’t the conditions inside the ground, it was more the mad crush getting in. 40 odd degrees and folk passing out all over the shop. 

Skopje was probably the one that opened the eyes for a lot of people that the red carpet treatment is never laid out for us everywhere we go....

There was plenty of warnings beforehand, and a lot of people on here were like "they always say that and it never happens".

I was out a walk morning of the match and got chatting to Gordon Smith (his dad and my Grandfather were friends in Kilwinning, so would always get a good chat going when paths crossed) and he told me straight up "tell all your friends with home end tickets to not go in kilts, the police are dead serious!"... and even one or two I met during the rest of the day were still "aye right, we will be there no problem!"

On 5/1/2023 at 10:24 AM, dan cake said:

Ireland game at Celtic Park, there was a group of Irish boys sitting next to me, and a number of guys were getting stuck in to them that they were taking away tickets from Scotland fans (part of me did go "well played!" when they pulled out SSC cards to show them how they got their tickets 😂)

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I’ve done

2004 - Dortmund - kilt no bother

2007 - Paris - kilt 

2008 - Prague - Mates in the home end in T-shirt and shorts.

2008 - Skopje, Macedonia - Got in but wearing shorts and a Macedonia T shirt from a stall. Big trouble or if you were wearing a kilt.

2009 - Oslo, Norway - Was in the away end, but had two home end tickets for a mate. Mate went in wearing civvies, no trouble. 

2014 - Warsaw, Poland - was in the away end, but wandered right round the stadium at half time looking for a programme. No bother. 

2021 - Chisinău - Moldova - kilt, no bother

2022 - Krakow vs Ukraine - kilt no issue