Kilt in the Norway end - Norway v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Kilt in the Norway end

alfaetrin

Okay, so if / when I arrive at the gate of the Norway home end wearing kilt and full Scotland gear, will I be turned away? Or would it be advisable to wear neutral clothing?

Had both positive and negative experiences before in this scenario.

1 hour ago, alfaetrin said:

Okay, so if / when I arrive at the gate of the Norway home end wearing kilt and full Scotland gear, will I be turned away? Or would it be advisable to wear neutral clothing?

Home ends with kilt - France 2007, Moldova 2021, Ukraine 2022.

Home end without a kilt - Macedonia 2008

I’m going to say we’ll be fine in Norway. (Famous last words).

J

On 4/28/2023 at 12:19 AM, alfaetrin said:

Were you turned away for having Scotland stuff going into the home end before? Don't think I've heard of any specific examples personally but I've only done it myself a couple of times

9 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Were you turned away for having Scotland stuff going into the home end before? Don't think I've heard of any specific examples personally but I've only done it myself a couple of times

I know that Scotland fans were refused entry in Macedonia to the home end in 2008, but I wasn't at that one (perhaps fortunately!).

I agree that, in general, fans wearing kilts are usually okay, but I guess we shouldn't take things for granted. 

• 4 weeks later...

This seems to be a (fair & understandable) concern before every trip & for pretty much every trip there's no issues - but for what it's worth, a couple of mates were in the home end for the 2009 4-0 defeat in full regalia & had absolutely no problems.

The approach might have changed since then right enough, but given there's going to be a good thousand Scotland fans in the home end in sections 109 & the tier above the away end, I'm not sure there's been anything so far to suggest that there'll be any problems.

Also, it's worth highlighting that - as far as I know - one of the reasons for extra tickets going on sale was because the match was designated as low risk meaning there wasn't any need for a big gap between home & away fans. If that's true, then it would suggest there's unlikely to then be huge issues with Scotland fans in the home end at a match they already consider perfectly safe.

Edited by Easy_1967

On 5/24/2023 at 8:36 AM, Easy_1967 said:

This seems to be a (fair & understandable) concern before every trip & for pretty much every trip there's no issues - but for what it's worth, a couple of mates were in the home end for the 2009 4-0 defeat in full regalia & had absolutely no problems.

The approach might have changed since then right enough, but given there's going to be a good thousand Scotland fans in the home end in sections 109 & the tier above the away end, I'm not sure there's been anything so far to suggest that there'll be any problems.

Also, it's worth highlighting that - as far as I know - one of the reasons for extra tickets going on sale was because the match was designated as low risk meaning there wasn't any need for a big gap between home & away fans. If that's true, then it would suggest there's unlikely to then be huge issues with Scotland fans in the home end at a match they already consider perfectly safe.

You’ve convinced me. It’s only 17 minutes on the team to my hotel. 

I’ll aim to get there early and if there’s any dramas, quick tram back get changed into civvies and try again. 

J

21 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

You’ve convinced me. It’s only 17 minutes on the team to my hotel. 

I’ll aim to get there early and if there’s any dramas, quick tram back get changed into civvies and try again. 

J

Maybe I'm just a glass half full kind of guy but in 20 years of away games, I've only ever heard of Macedonia being an issue - so I'd just tend to go into any trip assuming it'll all be fine until told otherwise. 😂

That said, this is unfortunately only my 3rd home end stint in that time (after Moldova & Ukraine recently too) so I'll likely take the back up civvies gear too just in the case of an emergency...

11 hours ago, Easy_1967 said:

Maybe I'm just a glass half full kind of guy but in 20 years of away games, I've only ever heard of Macedonia being an issue - so I'd just tend to go into any trip assuming it'll all be fine until told otherwise. 😂

That said, this is unfortunately only my 3rd home end stint in that time (after Moldova & Ukraine recently too) so I'll likely take the back up civvies gear too just in the case of an emergency...

I normally stick shorts / jeans on the day after anyway and stick the kilt in the bag. 

J

• 2 weeks later...