KLM Amsterdam - Norway v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

KLM Amsterdam

Rawlinho

3 of us flying on the Thursday night from Edinburgh to Oslo Gardmoen via Amsterdam. Only thing is there's 55 minutes between flights. Both flights with KLM and we booked through them directly. Has anyone flown through Amsterdam with a tight turnaround or on the same route?

3 hours ago, Rawlinho said:

3 of us flying on the Thursday night from Edinburgh to Oslo Gardmoen via Amsterdam. Only thing is there's 55 minutes between flights. Both flights with KLM and we booked through them directly. Has anyone flown through Amsterdam with a tight turnaround or on the same route?

That's a bit tight , but if they took the booking they'd have to stick you on the next one , any screw ups you're in Schipol for the night though . And flying on match day . I had a similar booking somewhere a while back ( can't remember what airline) and after booking they bumped us onto a later second flight , presumably after deciding it was too tight. And despite leaving the original booking on the website after that 🤷‍♂️

Yeah that was my worry. I went via Amsterdam to Warsaw for the Poland game in 2014 and it was literally stepping off one plane and onto another but we had a bit more time. Just wasn't sure where we stood if there was a delay to the first flight. There might be a scenario of 'you knew there was a very short connection' v 'well you sold me the flight knowing that'

Anything under a hour at Schipol, 90% of the time YOU will be fine (and any delay due to the first leg, KLM will put you on the next flight to Oslo).... less than 50% chance your luggage will make it though.

I used to fly KLM to Kyiv and there was both a 1 hour and a 2.5 connection, and never missed a flight, but if I was on the 1 hour my luggage 9 times out of 10 never made it to Kyiv and had to go 2 days without luggage some times.

6 minutes ago, saintsparky said:

Good point..

But I still think we may have more security.

I'm sure I had to go through passport control and security to change on way to Armenia and Krakow...

If you‘re transiting in Amsterdam on the way to Krakow, then obviously you have to go through passport control since you are entering the Schengen area. No need for a further security check though.

Can‘t remember as to whether UK passport holders are able to use the machines at present in Schiphol. If not then there‘s the risk of arriving at the same time as numerous flights from China / India and being stuck in a massive queue. I live in Germany and transit through Amsterdam quite often, but have the benefit of holding both a German and a UK passport.  

16 hours ago, SteveMcD said:

If you‘re transiting in Amsterdam on the way to Krakow, then obviously you have to go through passport control since you are entering the Schengen area. No need for a further security check though.

Can‘t remember as to whether UK passport holders are able to use the machines at present in Schiphol. If not then there‘s the risk of arriving at the same time as numerous flights from China / India and being stuck in a massive queue. I live in Germany and transit through Amsterdam quite often, but have the benefit of holding both a German and a UK passport.  

Just came back from Milan over Easter and scanners were in operation for UK Nationals over the age of 12. So kids had to be 13 to use them.

I was travelling with a load of school kids (wife’s a teacher) and I was stuck with all the young ones in a monster queue.

Good thing was the rest of the group had collected all our luggage by the time we cleared immigration.

J

16 hours ago, saintsparky said:

Good point..

I'm sure I had to go through passport control and security to change on way to Armenia and Krakow...

Had to get scanned again going to Armenia. No idea what weapon I would have acquired in Heathrow departures, but hey ho. 

J

For as long as I can remember, I've always been scanned going through transfers. Is that not normal procedure?

Even for an EXTREMELY tight connection when me and three other passengers were met off the first plane and taken to the terminal in our own bus, re-put through security, before being taken to the 2nd plane.

On 4/26/2023 at 9:39 AM, Rich NATA said:

For as long as I can remember, I've always been scanned going through transfers. Is that not normal procedure?

Even for an EXTREMELY tight connection when me and three other passengers were met off the first plane and taken to the terminal in our own bus, re-put through security, before being taken to the 2nd plane.

Right enough, it’s been ages since I’ve walked through without being scanned. It did used to happen. Vaguely remember London-Vienna-Tirana with Austrian Air being straight out and into the next flight (it certainly was like the OPs transfer 45 minutes or so). It was stressful I know that as there’s no fat in the system. I’d be interested to see inter Schengen if that’s the case. 

Last time I transferred and didn’t get scanned was Bristol-Dublin-Orlando, but wonder if that’s more to do with the U.K.-Ireland common travel area. 

J

On 4/25/2023 at 4:20 PM, saintsparky said:

Good point..

Depends on the airport... last week went to Tbilisi via Frankfurt and had no additional security or passport checks... on the way back via Munich I had to go security again.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2023 at 2:16 PM, GLOSTA said:

Depends on the airport... last week went to Tbilisi via Frankfurt and had no additional security or passport checks... on the way back via Munich I had to go security again.

That makes even less sense. So the airports make up additional security measures off of their own backs?

Madness, surely an national or international policy then stick to it.

J

• 3 weeks later...

Just had my flights brought forward from Aberdeen. Too early now as I’m still at work. I’ll no make them. 

Now having to get a flight similar to this with a 55 min layover. No booked it yet coz I’m patting my shants about the short turnaround of 55 mins I have. 

Reckon it’s worth the gamble?

6 hours ago, Geeman said:

Just had my flights brought forward from Aberdeen. Too early now as I’m still at work. I’ll no make them. 

Now having to get a flight similar to this with a 55 min layover. No booked it yet coz I’m patting my shants about the short turnaround of 55 mins I have. 

Reckon it’s worth the gamble?

If it’s on a full through ticket, it’s the airlines problem to sort it if you don’t make what they’ve deemed a makeable connection. That would include booking you onto next available flight and at the worst scenario also book you overnight into a hotel and providing meals at their expense! So I’d go for it. 

Thanks for the replies. I've had a wee look and the Oslo flight has left from the same terminal as the Edinburgh flight has arrived. Problem is this Thursday the Edinburgh flight was 45 minutes late. Norway isn't in the EU but is part of the Nordic Passport Zone so considered the same as a Schengen country so there shouldn't be additional security and passport checks. Just need to hope the first flight is on time and all should be fine but as Macwomble says, they sold it so it must be a) doable and b) their responsibility if something goes wrong 

3 hours ago, Rawlinho said:

Thanks for the replies. I've had a wee look and the Oslo flight has left from the same terminal as the Edinburgh flight has arrived. Problem is this Thursday the Edinburgh flight was 45 minutes late. Norway isn't in the EU but is part of the Nordic Passport Zone so considered the same as a Schengen country so there shouldn't be additional security and passport checks. Just need to hope the first flight is on time and all should be fine but as Macwomble says, they sold it so it must be a) doable and b) their responsibility if something goes wrong 

Some of the gates (D59 to D87) in Terminal D are within the Schengen area, and are only accesible after going through passport control. Incoming flights from Scotland will arrive into the area served by gates D1-D57. 

4 hours ago, macwomble said:

If it’s on a full through ticket, it’s the airlines problem to sort it if you don’t make what they’ve deemed a makeable connection. That would include booking you onto next available flight and at the worst scenario also book you overnight into a hotel and providing meals at their expense! So I’d go for it. 

On top of the hotel and meals, there may be a couple hundred Euros in compensation too.