Career change - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I've been reading the 'retirement' thread with interest and wondered if anyone has successfully changed career over the years.

I'm 43 years old, work as a dentist and I've decided I'm going to chuck it next year and do something else.

It's quite daunting the thought of doing something different from all you've ever known, and also the fact I'll be taking a significant pay cut but it's something I've thought about for a number of years now and when you begin to realise how unhappy you are in your job and that you're not getting any younger, then it's finally time to do something about it.

I've been seeing a careers coach of sorts and have enjoyed the process so far but as much as it's got me thinking and planning, I still feel nowhere near to what I would like to do. There's plenty of decent careers out there that don't require years of retraining but it's still difficult narrowing out down to a job that i can hopefully enjoy, or at worst, not dislike!

Any advice welcome 😁

Edited by dezmondo

My advice would be to stay where you are, and make a shitload of money. Invest it wisely and plan to retire at 50. If you set yourself an end date then most jobs become bearable. After your financially secure at 50, you can do whatever you want.

3 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

One year PGDE for teaching? Or has your current career put you off? 😂

i thought of that for a few years there. My mum was a teacher, my brother and sister are teachers but as daft as it sounds, the holidays put me off. 

Not the number of them, it's not being able to go when you want. Euro 2024 stuck in a classroom wasn't for me!

19 hours ago, Orraloon said:

My advice would be to stay where you are, and make a shitload of money. Invest it wisely and plan to retire at 50. If you set yourself an end date then most jobs become bearable. After your financially secure at 50, you can do whatever you want.

its increasingly difficult to be financially independent by 50 unless you build significant wealth through businesses.  even if you build up pension benefits over £1m, given current volatility you could easily find that’s not enough. Historically the safe withdrawal rate was 4-5% but some are now saying it’s 3% or less.

I have seen some individuals lose 20% of pension wealth in recent times, coupled with inflation at over 10% that £1m pot could easily become £600-£700k in real terms in a few years.  What’s worse is we don’t know what lies beyond but  it looks like to me like the Great Reset is underway and globally financial assets are being devalued.

We are in unprecedented times unfortunately, so almost impossible to plan.

Skipper of a fishing boat for 35 years. I sold up in 2007 and thought my working life was over. You would think after being a fishermen all your life there would not be too many options for a 50 year old cripple.

Not so, if your keen you can turn your hand to almost anything. Somebody mentioned Air traffic control, I did that but for ships, they may move slower but moving 60-70 ships a shift in a small harbour takes a fair bit of organising.

After 4 years of that I became a marine scientist, after 5 years of that I started working on wind farms. I'm well into my 60's and never been busier. Go for it.  Never look back, look forward.