I'm moving to Alba - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I'm moving to Alba

23 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Surely if Hanvey is in a discussion with Farage and Robert Clach then there wont be much they agree on

Farage and Oliver are the Colonialist/Quisling tag team ergo Hanvey can get tore into them ?

I'm pretty sure they'll all be gender critical.

28 minutes ago, aaid said:

I'm pretty sure they'll all be gender critical.

Is that the same as not buying into the Gay Men are Women narrative ?

Look in sewers, find shite.  You can find arseholes anywhere on the internet..supposed members of the SNP, Alba, Labour or whatever.  Better together tried that with cybernats as a means to do down Yes and it's easily seen through. 

My view is alba are probably not a force in the making but have a disproportionate influence on the grassroots.  There should be a direction away from GRR stuff, Hanvey has sailed too close to the wind, going on about it too much. But it won't render credibility.  People don't like all about GRR but they don't want to be seen as against trans people either.  It's not a positive rallying point.

On 4/16/2023 at 5:35 PM, duncan II said:

Apologies for yet another politics thread. Had enough of the SNP. Not been a member now for a few years but seriously considering not giving them my vote now. With the corruption (and it is corruption), the lack of movement on (or even remote interest in) independence and general ineptitude, they've done what I didn't think possible and lost my vote. Seeing the grinning fuckwits in New York, just there for a pointless jolly, jumping on the gravy train is the final straw for me.

Always resisted jumping to Alba as some of the more prominent Twitter users give cause for concern. But I'm almost convinced that their more proactive and aggressive approach to independence is what we need. I'll monitor their progress with interest. But the grifters in the SNP have almost certainly lost me for the time being.

What are you referring to?

57 minutes ago, exile said:

What are you referring to?

The picture of 6 Quislings and Pete Wishart behind a Union Jack with Air Miles Angus in the background with a couple of his gravy train staffers

25 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

The picture of 6 Quislings and Pete Wishart behind a Union Jack with Air Miles Angus in the background with a couple of his gravy train staffers

Yeah, there was that. And there was also a photo of a couple of younger MPs who were there grinning like a couple of eejits. They were there, doubtless on a freebie, all the while not having advanced the cause of independence at all during their time in office. Just seemed very representative of the type of SNP MP/MSP of recent years who has jumped on the gravy train while not doing what we, the SNP voters want of them. 

Just my take.

26 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Ah. well as long as SNP MPs take up their seats at Westminster (as Alba MPs do), they - like Alex Salmond once did - are going to get sucked into cross-party wheezes like Tartan Week.  If the Scottish govt was not there, presumably they would be criticised for not contributing to the promotion of Scotland, for narrow party political reasons.

I thought "Air Miles Angus" was a unionist jibe made up by people enraged that Scottish Govt representatives should be spending money promoting Scotland's interests abroad (in fact, promoting Scottish independence, as they see it).

Seems to me the Scottish Govt are in a no win situation in these cases, while the flames of discontent are fanned by all the usual suspects in the unionist press. Anything to get one more reason for people to give up voting SNP, which is what they would most dearly love to happen.

Having said all that, maybe we've reached a point where there are no more votes to be won/lost by representing/failing to represent Scotland on the international stage, but the votes are now more likely to be won/lost over the optics of collaborating with the hated unionist regime.

1 hour ago, exile said:

I thought "Air Miles Angus" was a unionist jibe made up by people enraged that Scottish Govt representatives should be spending money promoting Scotland's interests abroad (in fact, promoting Scottish independence, as they see it).

I very much doubt he has been promoting Scottish Independence abroad when he, or his polling company, have done shit all to promote it within Scotland

I think that's why those on the Yes side use it too

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

I very much doubt he has been promoting Scottish Independence abroad when he, or his polling company, have done shit all to promote it within Scotland

I think that's why those on the Yes side use it too

Well his brief is substantially about 'external affairs' and the role has drawn criticism from unionists, firstly for existing at all (Scots Govt has no business doing anything external to UK) and for promoting 'embassies' via a network of international offices, seen by unionists as subversively setting up a network useful for an indy Scotland in waiting.

You may not think think that is enough for promoting independence. But it is, as I say, enough to rile Unionists enough to resent his travels hence air miles Angus.

I don't imagine there are many Tory voters, so riled that the UK Govt has disgracefully allowed this subversive role to be set up using UK taxpayers money to promote Scotland abroad (over and above FCO activity) that they would stop voting Tory/Unionist.

The photo of that collection of MPs standing behind a banner with a UJ on it was not a good look.  Tartan Week is a celebration of Scotland and the Scots; anything GB/UK should be kept well away from it.  It would be like piggybacking a St Patrick's day parade with a group from the British army.  Cultural appropriation is the phrase, I think.  No SNP MP should be acquiescing in this nonsense.

32 minutes ago, Alibi said:

The photo of that collection of MPs standing behind a banner with a UJ on it was not a good look.  Tartan Week is a celebration of Scotland and the Scots; anything GB/UK should be kept well away from it.  It would be like piggybacking a St Patrick's day parade with a group from the British army.  Cultural appropriation is the phrase, I think.  No SNP MP should be acquiescing in this nonsense.

I’ve been over to New York for Tartan Week a couple of times - 2005 and 2008, the parade is great fun but it’s a bit of a strange event.  I had a bit of “banter” with Scott Hastings in 2005 and then got well hammered at a free bar for anyone in a kilt.  Was drinking with someone who was in Braveheart - the young William Wallace’s pal, a FOAF - met Smeato in 2008 and helped to carry the world’s biggest “caber” up 6th Avenue.   Well worth a visit if anyone gets the chance. 

The whole thing is led off behind a Union Jack though.  Then again, the St Patrick’s Day parade is led off by the NYPD pipe band playing Scotland the Brave, the Americans are very confused.