Germany 2024- Anybody Booked? - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Germany 2024- Anybody Booked?

Craig Fae Hamilton

Scotland are currently sitting at 1/2 to qualify! With things looking very promising, I know everybody will be tempted, but, has anyone actually booked anything?

Me - 10 Hotels Booked which will 100% cover me for 2 Games if we make it! All be it, there maybe a little traveling depending on how un-lucky or lucky I am with any potential Draw.

And, sorry if I have jinxed this!!!!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Had A little look myself using an estimate of our potential points total should we qualify (14-17 IMHO) and put that against UEFA's qualifying format. Last tournament, 14-17 was good enough for pot 2. 

If (like me) base your travel plans around us being in pot 2 you can eliminate half of the group games from the planner. 

https://editorial.uefa.com//resources/027e-1753eecb48d2-04f1dbac92e2-1000/euro_2024_match_schedule.pdf

• 4 weeks later...

Quite frustrating as there’s hardly any flights been released yet. I guess the 6am from Edinburgh to Frankfurt on the Friday will be busy.

We’ve got hotels sorted in Frankfurt, Cologne & Düsseldorf. Thinking is they’re all relatively central so should be fine travelling from there.

just need some more flights to be released now!! 

56 minutes ago, dougiemacfarlanearran said:

Just looking at possibilities last night, anyone else looking at ferry from hull to Rotterdam then train to cologne as a base! Cologne lovely and not counting the ferry price about £120 all in!!

train from there regardless of venue

Did exactly this for the match in Dortmund back in 2014 - great trip.

On 6/21/2023 at 7:27 PM, Tartan_Thomo said:

Quite frustrating as there’s hardly any flights been released yet. I guess the 6am from Edinburgh to Frankfurt on the Friday will be busy.

We’ve got hotels sorted in Frankfurt, Cologne & Düsseldorf. Thinking is they’re all relatively central so should be fine travelling from there.

just need some more flights to be released now!! 

So am i right in assuming you have booked hotels and I am guessing you will just cancel the hotels that you are not needing nearer the time. Does that cost you anything or do you get a full refund etc

When will we find out where the scotland games are being played?

On 6/23/2023 at 3:29 AM, mccaughey85 said:

So am i right in assuming you have booked hotels and I am guessing you will just cancel the hotels that you are not needing nearer the time. Does that cost you anything or do you get a full refund etc

When will we find out where the scotland games are being played?

Second of December when the draw is made. 

On 5/25/2023 at 10:50 AM, Mazziessc said:

Had A little look myself using an estimate of our potential points total should we qualify (14-17 IMHO) and put that against UEFA's qualifying format. Last tournament, 14-17 was good enough for pot 2. 

If (like me) base your travel plans around us being in pot 2 you can eliminate half of the group games from the planner. 

https://editorial.uefa.com//resources/027e-1753eecb48d2-04f1dbac92e2-1000/euro_2024_match_schedule.pdf

Without wishing to sound like a right eejit, is that based on all the "2" teams - A2, B2, C2 etc being those from pot 2?

19 minutes ago, lyonhibs said:

Without wishing to sound like a right eejit, is that based on all the "2" teams - A2, B2, C2 etc being those from pot 2?

Yeah that's it. The planner is decent for taking an educated guess if used in conjunction with the seeding format. To be pot one you need to be one of the teams within the top 5 points totals in qualifying. That's possible but it's not an easy task. We'd need two wins and a draw minimum from our last four. 

54 minutes ago, Mazziessc said:

Yeah that's it. The planner is decent for taking an educated guess if used in conjunction with the seeding format. To be pot one you need to be one of the teams within the top 5 points totals in qualifying. That's possible but it's not an easy task. We'd need two wins and a draw minimum from our last four. 

Based on the other thread "Germany 24 - too soon" it's not as simple as that, which is the suspicion I had.  I'll probably book up for Dusseldorf based on there being a geogrpahic cluster of stadiums in that neck of the woods then cross fingers

I’ve taken a punt on some rooms in Oberhausen. About 1/3rd cost of Dusseldorf £75 a night twin room, but close enough to go into on train and back in cab if after last train. Stayed there on business, NH Oberhausen decent hotel, good rail links elsewhere. Will cancel dates from front and back end of reservation we don’t need after draw is made 

FLIGHTS ARE OUT!

On Lufthansa, Flights are out up to and including the Rest Day in between the Group Games and the KO's!

I'm booked Wednesday 19th June on 1st Flight out of Glasgow, arrive Frankfurt 9.10AM

Fly Back Thursday 27th 9.40PM.

Cost=£488 for 2 including 1x Hold Luggage

Guaranteed we can hit the 2nd and 3rd Group Games in every Group. Frankfurt is our base.

Hotels Booked on a Free Cancellation Deal in the cities which are 3 Hours or over on a Train from Frankfurt. Planning on following Scotland and Germany in the Group Games (draw permitting).

Depending on how the Draw goes, 279€ for unlimited Travel on German Trains for 7 Days might not be a bad option!

If anybody is interested in also taking a punt on this, here are my plans with the Cities I have Hotels Booked!:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1STFpBaWA8qgVAwzeH1_DdRvJJiiGRBELzpcbVl_3rO0/edit?usp=sharing

On 5/25/2023 at 9:50 AM, Mazziessc said:

Unfortunately it’s not that simple. Once you are drawn into a group, placing is not by seeding. It will be by random draw of 1-4 to decide your fixture schedule. The exception to this is Group A where Germany are allocated position 1 to guarantee they will take place in the opening game. So you need to cover every single game for hotels etc. unfortunately.

7 hours ago, macwomble said:

Unfortunately it’s not that simple. Once you are drawn into a group, placing is not by seeding. It will be by random draw of 1-4 to decide your fixture schedule. The exception to this is Group A where Germany are allocated position 1 to guarantee they will take place in the opening game. So you need to cover every single game for hotels etc. unfortunately.

I'm not seeing anything in the UEFA Rules for the Tournament that says this. Where did you find this info? As it is such a big change since previous finals, I am skeptical. But I assume you saw something official detailing this?

I checked the Rules for the Finals and there is nothing mentioned, although they do say 'Additional Conditions may be applied', It all starts on Article 18:

https://documents.uefa.com/r/Regulations-of-the-UEFA-European-Football-Championship-2022-24/Article-17-Match-system-play-offs-Online

8 minutes ago, Craig Fae Hamilton said:

I'm not seeing anything in the UEFA Rules for the Tournament that says this. Where did you find this info? As it is such a big change since previous finals, I am skeptical. But I assume you saw something official detailing this?

I checked the Rules for the Finals and there is nothing mentioned, although they do say 'Additional Conditions may be applied', It all starts on Article 18:

https://documents.uefa.com/r/Regulations-of-the-UEFA-European-Football-Championship-2022-24/Article-17-Match-system-play-offs-Online

https://editorial.uefa.com/resources/0282-185b758ac450-55e5038c97ad-1000/uefa_euro_2024_final_draw_procedure.pdf

Apart from the four pots 1, 2, 3 and 4 which contain the balls with the 23 teams that enter the draw, six
pots A, B, C, D, E and F are required to draw the respective team’s position in each group.

Pots B-F contain four balls each to represent the positions available in each group (e.g. B1, B2, B3 and
B4). Pot A contains three balls for the available positions A2, A3 and A4 in group A, since Germany will
occupy position A1.

The draw starts with pot 1. The first team from pot 1 is drawn and assigned to the first-available group in
alphabetical order (group B in this case). To determine the position of the team within the drawn group, a
ball is subsequently drawn from the relevant bowl (pot B in this case) containing the group positions.

The next team is drawn to be assigned to the next available group in alphabetical order. Again, a ball is
drawn from the associated pot with the group positions. The same procedure is repeated, until one team
from Pot 1 has been assigned to every group B to F, and a group position has been assigned to every
team.

Once Pot 1 has been emptied, the draw continues with Pot 2 in the same fashion (i.e. until one team from
Pot 2 has been assigned to every group A to F), then Pot 3 and concludes with Pot 4.

Also your google document has games as early, middle or late when UEFA haven't determined which matches on each day will be at which times yet.

Edited by Barry89

18 minutes ago, Craig Fae Hamilton said:

https://editorial.uefa.com/resources/0282-185b758ac450-55e5038c97ad-1000/uefa_euro_2024_final_draw_procedure.pdf.  Here you go.

16 minutes ago, Barry89 said:

https://editorial.uefa.com/resources/0282-185b758ac450-55e5038c97ad-1000/uefa_euro_2024_final_draw_procedure.pdf

Also your google document has games as early, middle or late when UEFA haven't determined which matches on each day will be at which times yet.

Hey M8, Spot on on the Draw Information! So it does make it more difficult. As Games could be played in any Order like you said.

Although, I think I have calculated the order of the Games at least and which games are early and late, etc. Group Games are numbered from No1 to No36. No 1 Being Germany's opening match. If you make an assumption that they will be played in order from 1-36 you can work it out:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hea5JsO2n1d83rjAcQmjNzDiyH9YeC-b/view?usp=sharing

Yeah, it looks like they will be played in sequence according to the Schedule I posted:

4. Finalisation of the tournament match schedule
The tournament is played according to the match sequence defined in art. 19.02 of the competition
regulations. The match schedule has been published in May 2022 (see below).
Based on the results of the final tournament draw, which determine the group compositions and each
team’s group position, the UEFA administration will allocate the standard kick-off times (15:00 CET, 18:00
CET and 21:00 CET) to the remaining 47 matches and publish the finalised schedule as soon as possible
after the draw.

3 minutes ago, Craig Fae Hamilton said:

Yeah, it looks like they will be played in sequence according to the Schedule I posted:

4. Finalisation of the tournament match schedule
The tournament is played according to the match sequence defined in art. 19.02 of the competition
regulations. The match schedule has been published in May 2022 (see below).
Based on the results of the final tournament draw, which determine the group compositions and each
team’s group position, the UEFA administration will allocate the standard kick-off times (15:00 CET, 18:00
CET and 21:00 CET) to the remaining 47 matches and publish the finalised schedule as soon as possible
after the draw.

That just means they'll be played in the sequence in terms of days, UEFA will allocate the kick off times after the draw. If you look at art 19.02 of the competition regulations it's simply about the matchdays, not kick off times.

Euro 2020 schedule didn't go in sequence. Just to pick a random day from it here's the matches by number and then the kick of time.

Match 5 - Netherlands v Ukraine was 9pm
Match 6 - Austria v North Macedonia was 6pm
Match 7 - England v Croatia was 3pm

I'm not reading it like that for this Tournament.

They seem to say they will be played in the match sequence which they have already detailed. Numbers 1 to 36 being the sequence.

And, it is only the Standard Kick-Off Times that are to be detailed (And added to the Fixture List). They go on to include the KO's in that part too (47 Matches and not just 1-36 for the Group Stage) which is why I think they are only referring to Standard Kick-Off Times.

Germany's 2nd Game is in the middle on a Wednesday so a 6pm KO is plausible. Say as opposed to an afternoon game. Their last Group Game would be on the Sunday following that. But, I agree to concede you could be right as it is not absolutely clear!

17 hours ago, Craig Fae Hamilton said:

I'm not reading it like that for this Tournament.

They seem to say they will be played in the match sequence which they have already detailed. Numbers 1 to 36 being the sequence.

And, it is only the Standard Kick-Off Times that are to be detailed (And added to the Fixture List). They go on to include the KO's in that part too (47 Matches and not just 1-36 for the Group Stage) which is why I think they are only referring to Standard Kick-Off Times.

Germany's 2nd Game is in the middle on a Wednesday so a 6pm KO is plausible. Say as opposed to an afternoon game. Their last Group Game would be on the Sunday following that. But, I agree to concede you could be right as it is not absolutely clear!

I think that this bit makes it fairly clear that they won't allocate the kick off times, for each day, until after the draw has been made. Could be wrong though?

"4. Finalisation of the tournament match schedule The tournament is played according to the match sequence defined in art. 19.02 of the competition regulations. The match schedule has been published in May 2022 (see below). Based on the results of the final tournament draw, which determine the group compositions and each team’s group position, the UEFA administration will allocate the standard kick-off times (15:00 CET, 18:00 CET and 21:00 CET) to the remaining 47 matches and publish the finalised schedule as soon as possible after the draw."

Edited by Orraloon