France Friendly October - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

France Friendly October

Squirrelhumper

17 minutes ago, Johnnyshaker said:

Rugby World Cup is on so it won't be in any of those stadiums.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_Rugby_World_Cup#Venues

The Rugby World Cup was taking place back in 2007, and most the talk before hand was the game would be in Saint-Étienne or Lille, as those were the only two free stadiums at the time, and then it shocked everyone when they announced the Parc de Princes, especially when South Africa were playing at the Stade De France the next night.

6 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Parc Des Princes would appear to be most logical. Unless they are expecting a lower turnout and want to give it to another city. Lille would be the next biggest stadium not in use for the Rugby

I;ll be going to Lille a couple of weeks before for the Scotland v Romania RWC game. Taking the kids to that one. No way I will have enough brownie points to go back to France for a friendly after being in Spain the week before. 

Thanks, but no thanks for this one. 

J

How am I missing this? Not seen it reported any where. 

I'm not sure I see the logic in this. We're trying to build momentum. Why are we willingly signing up to 3 difficult matches in a row versus England, Spain and France. All 3 ranked in  the top 10 in the world by FIFA.

If we were to lose all 3 of those matches it'll seriously knock the wind out of our sails going into our final few games of the qualifiers. 

11 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I'm not sure I see the logic in this. We're trying to build momentum. Why are we willingly signing up to 3 difficult matches in a row versus England, Spain and France. All 3 ranked in  the top 10 in the world by FIFA.

If we were to lose all 3 of those matches it'll seriously knock the wind out of our sails going into our final few games of the qualifiers. 

The only one that really matters is the Spain game. If the players allow friendly defeats (if we actually lose them) to impact their performance in matches a month later they need to have a good look at themselves. 

Edited by Texas Pete

12 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I'd rather play the best teams regularly.  Momentum beating cannon fodder doesn't help you when you face top sides in tournaments.

On 4/11/2023 at 11:50 AM, N4Footsoldier said:

Parc Des Princes would appear to be most logical. Unless they are expecting a lower turnout and want to give it to another city. Lille would be the next biggest stadium not in use for the Rugby

I think Lille is one of the stadiums in use for for the Rugby, but it's often listed as Villeneuve.

If not Parc des Princes, Montpellier would be ideal for those of us coming up from Spain.

Where else? Lens looks a cracking football ground. Maybe Metz again? Rennes? Strasbourg? Valenciences?

Could be anywhere; take your pick... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_stadiums_in_France

17 hours ago, macwomble said:

Hope it’s not Paris as 2 of the  Rugby 1/4 finals, Saturday the 15th and Sunday 16th are at St Denis! Hotel prices Sunday Monday a little bit high!!!! 

And Seville - main contender for the Spain match - is an expensive city too.

On 4/11/2023 at 7:04 AM, Squirrelhumper said:

The Monday after Spain away. 

We're big time. 

😃

Imagine we were sitting top or second after that Spain game and then beat France!

Way too carried away ; but could you even imagine the amount of hype from Sky, talkSHITE etc there would be for Clarke!

There was a time when I would dread us playing these games ; yet now it sounds quite appealing!

On 4/11/2023 at 8:43 PM, Tartan blood said:

The games against England and France (if confirmed) are friendlies and the primary purpose, from the coaching staff's point of view, will be providing players with experience against top sides.

With the England and France matches coming directly after important qualifiers, we'll probably not be playing a completely full strength side in either game which would allow for some players to get some game time against high level sides without the risk of failing to qualify - I'm thinking players like Lewis Ferguson, Nathan Patterson (assuming Hickey starts the qualifiers), Josh Doig, etc. will play a major part of those games, but might not play a huge role in the qualifiers.

We'll also have six matches against high level sides in late-2024 with the Nations League and we'll play those sides if we qualify for any major tournament. It's important for our players to be comfortable playing against those sort of sides.

Edited by Clyde1998

9 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

The games against England and France (if confirmed) are friendlies and the primary purpose, from the coaching staff's point of view, will be providing players with experience against top sides.

With the England and France matches coming directly after important qualifiers, we'll probably not be playing a completely full strength side in either game which would allow for some players to get some game time against high level sides without the risk of failing to qualify - I'm thinking players like Lewis Ferguson, Nathan Patterson (assuming Hickey starts the qualifiers), Josh Doig, etc. will play a major part of those games, but might not play a huge role in the qualifiers.

We'll also have six matches against high level sides in late-2024 with the Nations League and we'll play those sides if we qualify for any major tournament. It's important for our players to be comfortable playing against those sort of sides.

The way Clarke plays friendlies though it'll likely be our strongest side with one maybe two players thrown in.