Mcgeady And Mccarthy - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Mcgeady And Mccarthy

Irishandproud

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The irish league is dismissed as shite because it is, why suggest otherwise? The odd time a player breaks through and moves abroad to further their career, what else would you expect? Coleman is a fine example, arguably the best RB in the league but look it don't let the facts get in the way of this...

It might be shite, but that doesn't mean you can dismiss every player in it. My point is that too much value is placed on which league a player plays in when assessing their value to their national team.

I watched Keith Fahey have an outstanding season for St. Pat's a few years ago before his transfer to Birmingham. He was head and shoulders above anyone else in his team or league, and deserving of a call-up to the Irish squad. It was only when he moved to Birmingham that he even registered on a lot of Irish fans radars (as well as Trap's), and got his call up.

Brown is so important to us because he has a massive impact on the players around him. He has the ability to make the best players in the world uncomfortable, he makes world class players average and average players terrible. He chases, he tackles, he fights - which gets the 10 boys around him doing the same thing, McCarthy doesn't have the same impact on games at the moment, although theres no argument as to who is the better player technically.

McGeady has been famously inconsistent, although as he showed a few times at Celtic, and in Ireland's game against Georgia, he has the ability to pull something special out of the bag, so i'm still wary of him.

I still get annoyed when i see both of them putting in top performances (especially Mccarthy) , but they chose not to play for Scotland and thats the way it is, we have many players who weren't born in Scotland who play for us, so i feel we can't complain too much

I fully expect both of them to get dogs abuse, i think the atmosphere will be feisty anyway. It'll be some occasion, i can't wait!

Oh, and someone said none of the LOI produced players would get in our team, Coleman would walk into our starting 11, top class player.

Not read any posts on this thread other than the first one but I presume they all state essentially the same thing: McGeady and McCarthy are a total non-issue. They're just two footballers who chose to play for one football team in preference to another football team. Not exactly something to get worked up about.

Pretty much sums it up for me too.

It sure hurt a bit at the time when they both decided to choose Ireland over Scotland but as with many things in life that don't go your way, you just have to get over it and move on !

McGeady is a decent enough player but McCarthy is a class above him, a great young player.

At least with regard to McCarthy we have since got shot of that eejit Ross Mathie who didn't think he was any good when he was a young boy.

I'm a Celtic fan and I'll be booing them every time they get the ball, but I'm more disappointed in their decision than angry at them. Talk about snapping people and plastic paddies is a bit much IMO and does nobody any favours but as usual some people will want to use it as an excuse to go that bit further. Of course the irony of the many 'plastic Scots' in our line up is lost on these folk.

To be honest on the last showing I'm more worried about Alan Hutton than either Mcgeady or McCarthy,

Apologies if this is in the wrong section so a mod can move if needed.

Anyway I'm expecting a hostile reception for these 2 in a few weeks, just wondering what's the feeling amongst the TA towards these 2 lads? Wouldn't surprise me if one of these is "injured" for this but I hope not

I'd suggest most fowk don't care, their loss no oors. They wouldnae get in the team anyway.

I'd rather be Irish than british, cannae really knock them fer that.

Edited by Bzzzz

You're the one that doesn't get it, Brown plays league one equivalent week in week out, why has no one ever signed him from Celtic? He's hardly in demand ffs, McCarthy is a classy footballer who will go on to bigger things than Everton I'm sure of it.

Oh and in terms of where Keane is now in his career I would take Naismith any day of the week presently.

Take the blinkers off some of you and admit that Brown isn't actually all that.

Mccarthy isn't either.

If be bothers turning up.

I said over on the Irish board id have Brown over McCarthy any day and they just dont seem to get it, everything is judged by what club they play for on there, I mean Everton are hardly footballing giants so dont know why that gets brought up consistently, is Naismith better than Keane just now because he plays for Everton and Keane plays in the retirement league? No.

Brown dominates games and has a massive impact on fellow team mates and the fans, he has much more impact on games than the wee shitebag McCarthy even though McCarthy would be more technically gifted.

Brown > McCarthy any day of the week.

McCarthy plays with better players,and plays against better players everyweek. You really don't know much about the Irish team if you think Keane is a better player than Naismith. Most Irish people would start Naismith over Keane,9 times out of 10. Only difference is Robbie will pop up with a jammy goal or two. His general play is awful,but as a finisher hes top class. Whereas Naismith just has a poorer record while being a better all round player, same applies to Shane Long sure.

McCarthy is a better player than Brown, on his day he is one of the best Holding mid-fielders in the Premier league,many of the English papers were saying how he is a far better player than the poster boy that is Jack Wilshere after Everton2-2Arsenal.

As an Everton fan we may not be 'footballing giants' but we bet Arsenal,Chelsea,Unitedx2 last year. Also hopped off Wolfsburg the other week and McCarthy is massively important to Evertons success.

My main point has always been that Ireland have 2 players of the quality that Scotland don't have,them being McCarthy and Coleman. Apart from that we are two squads of journey men,at Mid to lower sides in the BPL and the higher end of the championship.

I said over on the Irish board id have Brown over McCarthy any day and they just dont seem to get it, everything is judged by what club they play for on there, I mean Everton are hardly footballing giants so dont know why that gets brought up consistently, is Naismith better than Keane just now because he plays for Everton and Keane plays in the retirement league? No.

Brown dominates games and has a massive impact on fellow team mates and the fans, he has much more impact on games than the wee shitebag McCarthy even though McCarthy would be more technically gifted.

Brown > McCarthy any day of the week.

McCarthy plays with better players,and plays against better players everyweek. You really don't know much about the Irish team if you think Keane is a better player than Naismith. Most Irish people would start Naismith over Keane,9 times out of 10. Only difference is Robbie will pop up with a jammy goal or two. His general play is awful,but as a finisher hes top class. Whereas Naismith just has a poorer record while being a better all round player, same applies to Shane Long sure.

McCarthy is a better player than Brown, on his day he is one of the best Holding mid-fielders in the Premier league,many of the English papers were saying how he is a far better player than the poster boy that is Jack Wilshere after Everton2-2Arsenal.

As an Everton fan we may not be 'footballing giants' but we bet Arsenal,Chelsea,Unitedx2 last year. Also hopped off Wolfsburg the other week and McCarthy is massively important to Evertons success.

My main point has always been that Ireland have 2 players of the quality that Scotland don't have,them being McCarthy and Coleman. Apart from that we are two squads of journey men,at Mid to lower sides in the BPL and the higher end of the championship.

Well I disagree, I don't think McCarthy is a class above at all I wouldn't even play him if we were just playing 2 in midfield. Coleman is a great player, but a class above your whole squad and our squad? Have a word.

Edited by 1320lichtie

Well I disagree, I don't think McCarthy is a class above at all I wouldn't even play him if we were just playing 2 in midfield. Coleman is a great player, but a class above your whole squad and our squad? Have a word.

Ask any Irish man who they would prefer,most would say Coleman. Your even biast in which Irish players you prefer,due to their Scottish ties haha. Coleman is hands down the best player in both squads. Better than that Piscek fella for Poland too.

Didnt you say Hutton was better than Coleman? Or was it Bardsley.

Ask any Irish man who they would prefer,most would say Coleman. Your even biast in which Irish players you prefer,due to their Scottish ties haha. Coleman is hands down the best player in both squads. Better than that Piscek fella for Poland too.

You're fishing, right?

How is he? Seriously how is he? Tell me why. If it's down to him being a big player for Everton (which Naismith is too he's arguably even more important) then I'm not buying it. He's a good right back, just the same as the other good ones in the EPL, I doubt I'd notice the difference between him and Bardsley playing, hands down the best player in both squads? Why?????