Scotland v Spain - Match Thread - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Spain - Match Thread

romanticscot

1 minute ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Watching Sportscene now, and it showed just how well Dykes stopped Rodri's game. Constantly looking where he is, being a general annoyance, brilliant

Watched that on sportscene too, sort of thing you don't pick up on at a game. Thought Dykes was very quite but if his main role was ro keep their best player quite, he nailed it. 

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Watched that on sportscene too, sort of thing you don't pick up on at a game. Thought Dykes was very quite but if his main role was ro keep their best player quite, he nailed it. 

You’re quiet right.

It’s quiet difficult ro spot those things when you’re actually in the stadium.

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I've watched that 2nd goal over and over on youtube, the run from Tierney is beautiful, the way he lets the full back catch him and then times it perfectly to get away from him to make the cross is fucking brilliant. The finish from Mctom is sublime too.

I love the crowd reaction, there is a lull in the crowd when the Spanish full back catches Tierney, then a buzz when Tierney leaves him for dead, another lull when the cross hits the knee of the spanish defender.......................then absolute euphoria when McTom smashes it home.

I am off to watch it again

😄👍

A marvelous two games.

Can't help but love McTominay more and more. What a lad!

Rodri - a bitter Spaniard with a Welsh name- GIRUY!

A point in Oslo would be good although hopefully we go there looking to win! Georgia are a really decent wee side. It's a tough group - you could argue Cyprus are the one of the best 5th seeds too!

Get to the summer with 12 points would be unbeliveable ; 10 would be very good - Norway would be on 2 from 9!

After the summer its - Georgia, Cyprus away - we really need to win the Cyprus game ; Spain is a free hit again ; Georgia 1 point is a must, a win would be great and then a potential cup final at home v Norway!

4 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

A marvelous two games.

Can't help but love McTominay more and more. What a lad!

Rodri - a bitter Spaniard with a Welsh name- GIRUY!

A point in Oslo would be good although hopefully we go there looking to win! Georgia are a really decent wee side. It's a tough group - you could argue Cyprus are the one of the best 5th seeds too!

Get to the summer with 12 points would be unbeliveable ; 10 would be very good - Norway would be on 2 from 9!

After the summer its - Georgia, Cyprus away - we really need to win the Cyprus game ; Spain is a free hit again ; Georgia 1 point is a must, a win would be great and then a potential cup final at home v Norway!

We should be looking to win this group now. Fuck this "second place" nonsense. 😉

Anybody booked up for Germany yet?

42 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

We should be looking to win this group now. Fuck this "second place" nonsense. 😉

Anybody booked up for Germany yet?

Second place will do me just fine but there’s no reason we can’t aim to win the group. We’d really need to take 6 points off Norway though and probably Georgia as well. 

Is there a benefit to winning the group over coming second? Higher seeding for the finals draw maybe? It’s been that long since we’ve qualified through our group I genuinely have no idea. 

26 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Second place will do me just fine but there’s no reason we can’t aim to win the group. We’d really need to take 6 points off Norway though and probably Georgia as well. 

Is there a benefit to winning the group over coming second? Higher seeding for the finals draw maybe? It’s been that long since we’ve qualified through our group I genuinely have no idea. 

I do believe they seed on recent qualification records too so we'd be marked down on that (I believe) even if we won the group but I could see us being third seeds definitely.

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I do believe they seed on recent qualification records too so we'd be marked down on that (I believe) even if we won the group but I could see us being third seeds definitely.

Aye I think 3rd is the best we could hope for but we could possibly get that by coming second. Would depend who else qualified I guess. We can worry about all that later if we actually qualify.

Would make a huge difference to whether we could get out the group or not but I just want to get there regardless of seedings. 

I was just talking with a Portugese lad I work with, he was congrats on beating Spain, so I showed him the score again on my phone for a laugh. It was fotmob, he asked about the total possession. According to Fotmob, Spain had 75% of possession and we had 25%... Is that accurate? I don't think so.. How do they come up with this Stat? We had more than 25% I'm sure !!!!

5 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I was just talking with a Portugese lad I work with, he was congrats on beating Spain, so I showed him the score again on my phone for a laugh. It was fotmob, he asked about the total possession. According to Fotmob, Spain had 75% of possession and we had 25%... Is that accurate? I don't think so.. How do they come up with this Stat? We had more than 25% I'm sure !!!!

No that is accurate. It states those stats on several ratified websites and the UEFA one. The amount of possession a team has is immaterial if you can't do anything with it. We had more shots on goal than them and two goals which says how well we used the ball when we had it.

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No that is accurate. It states those stats on several ratified websites and the UEFA one. The amount of possession a team has is immaterial if you can't do anything with it. We had more shots on goal than them and two goals which says how well we used the ball when we had it.

Yup. Possession means nothing if there isn't an end product. They can pass the ball about the park all night as far as i'm concerned as long as we win the game. 😄😄😄

11 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I think UEFA actually have it as 32%-68% but I’m not sure which is correct as most sources do show it as  25%-75%. 

Not that it matters as, like you say, dominance in possession doesn’t win you games if you can’t convert it to chances and goals. 

Edited by Texas Pete