Scotland v Spain - Match Thread - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Spain - Match Thread

romanticscot

4 minutes ago, COLT NY said:

Rodri's had an absolute shocker with his post game comments. What he's describing is a mirror image of how Spain approached it in the first half. All it succeeded in doing (apart from getting a couple of our lads booked) was to open the door to the fact that this ref was only going to reward players diving and roll around on the floor. It made perfect sense that our team would take that opportunity when they were tired and holding a two goal advantage, and at least there was actual contact when they did.

"We did many good things to win," he said on Viaplay. "We conceded easy goals - this is football, if you concede easy goals you are penalised.

"It's the way they play, but for me it's rubbish, always wasting time, provoking you, always they fall. For me, this is not football. The referee has to take on this, but he says nothing.

"We will learn for the next time. We want to go for duels, for battles - we always fight, but this is not about fighting. It's about wasting time - four, five players on the floor, but this depends on the referee, not on us.

"Today we did many good things, but what's important is the goal, and we didn't score."

We’ll give them a doing in Spain as well. 

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Tartan Chris said:

Didn't have that much to do, tipped one shot over from Porro and most of the other shots were grasscutters.

Comfortable two games to ease him in.

Which isn't something you expect to see against Spain!

Excellent result tonight, probably the best, most meaningful result against opposition ranked higher than us since the double against France in 06/07.  The difference is, those were smash and grab wins - this time we fought hard but stretched Spain too by playing good football.  Goes to show how much the squad has improved in terms of quality.

Not to get too carried away but a couple wins and we could be more or less there. 🤔

56 minutes ago, bonzo said:

Just back in the crystal Palace, a wee cider to see if I can get my voice back.....well done lads, well done 👏 

There's a better boozer across the road but enjoy your pint! 😁

That was ok I suppose.

As a Scotland fan I'm now worrying about the Georgia game. 😃

Get in there . Gaun yersel Scotland. 

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿  😁

Edited by Och Aye

as delighted as I am with that, it’s been a nightmare journey.  Left Edinburgh at 4.30 got in half way through first half, missed the first goal. Roadworks on th3 m8 when the footballs on.  Shambles - need the infrastructure sorted out.

still, a great night and our best result in 15 years.

That is possibly the most thrilling game I have been at in a long long time. It is not an overstatement to say the team were , individually and collectively , brilliant . Fought for absolutely everything. Steve Clarke deserves a huge amount of credit for this and I am ashamed to think I doubted him at one point. Thank fuck I know nothing. 

Angus Gunn had literally nothing to do on Saturday  and looked tonight like he had been in the team for years. 

Atmosphere was fantastic. Polar opposite of Saturday. 

Spains  after match comments are disrespectful and childish , their play acting was pathetic , I have lost a lot of respect for them as a football nation. 

11 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

as delighted as I am with that, it’s been a nightmare journey.  Left Edinburgh at 4.30 got in half way through first half, missed the first goal. Roadworks on th3 m8 when the footballs on.  Shambles - need the infrastructure sorted out.

still, a great night and our best result in 15 years.

🙄

The whole team was brilliant tonight and I hate to single out individuals but if I had to pick some out I’d say the entire defence were brilliant, McGregor, McTominay and McGinn in midfield were superb and Christie and Dykes put in some shift up front. If Spain had bothered to trouble Gunn he’d have been fantastic too. Subs all 100% did their bit when they came on too.

Like I say though, feel a bit bad picking out individuals. 😀

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

We’ll give them a doing in Spain as well. 

He's made a complete wang of himself in that interview I'm afraid.  Word to the wise Rodri, Humility!

(Apologies, replied to the wrong poster but my point still stands 😁)

Edited by todd

What a night, fantastic performance and result, possibly the best I can remember at Hampden since the 1980s.

Great seeing so many guys putting their bodies on the line for the team 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Edited by Toepoke

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Best two games Scott McTominay has had in a Scotland shirt. I said after Saturday that his goals would do his confidence no end of good. He really is better when he's allowed to go forward.

Considering we have strikers who dont score often the likes mcginn and mctominay getting goals will be invaluable to us. Mctominay certainly looks a better player when hes allowed to attack more and take up more advanced positions. 

48 minutes ago, todd said:

He's made a complete wang of himself in that interview I'm afraid.  Word to the wise Rodri, Humility!

(Apologies, replied to the wrong poster but my point still stands 😁)

I think, in fairness to Rodri…. we did have a lot of players go down injured towards the end of the match, however I think most, if not all, of these were genuine injuries. However, if this had been another team doing that to us, we’d probably be accusing them of the same thing he accused us of!

Also, I believe Gunn was booked for time-wasting and Hickey intentionally rolled back on to the pitch when injured, to delay the game, which again we would have slated an opposition player for, so Rodri’s claims aren’t completely without merit. However, he’s also clutching at straws a bit, given how much more time Spain would have needed in order to create enough chances to score two goals, judging by how little they created during the match.

1 hour ago, Whelky75 said:

I think, in fairness to Rodri…. we did have a lot of players go down injured towards the end of the match, however I think most, if not all, of these were genuine injuries. However, if this had been another team doing that to us, we’d probably be accusing them of the same thing he accused us of!

Also, I believe Gunn was booked for time-wasting and Hickey intentionally rolled back on to the pitch when injured, to delay the game, which again we would have slated an opposition player for, so Rodri’s claims aren’t completely without merit. However, he’s also clutching at straws a bit, given how much more time Spain would have needed in order to create enough chances to score two goals, judging by how little they created during the match.

Its unbelievable that a spanish player can accuse any other nation of play acting and rolling about. Those fuckers invented diving and feigning injury. He should shut up and accept his medicine.

Edited by mccaughey85