Euro 2024 - group discussion - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 2024 - group discussion

romanticscot

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Another good thing (aside from the three points) about our win V Spain is that they will need to be really switched on now for their next few games as they have been put on the back foot. No chance of them fielding weakened teams and slacking off so they could help further dent our opponents chances of cstching us.

Your spot on, the Spanish media will smell blood so it's good that should be fired up. Finishing 1st or 2nd for me is irrelevant, what I want is automatic qualification however not comes.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Your spot on, the Spanish media will smell blood so it's good that should be fired up. Finishing 1st or 2nd for me is irrelevant, what I want is automatic qualification however not comes.

I’m thinking we might want people to take po8nts off Spain so we top the group!

12 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I’m thinking we might want people to take po8nts off Spain so we top the group!

No I’d say we want Spain to beat everyone home and away except us. If that happens and we win our other two home games and beat Cyprus away and hopefully pick up a point or 2 away in our other games we should do enough to qualify which is all that matters. 

If we were to end up winning the group because Spain do drop more points then happy days but there is a risk Norway or even Georgia could force us into 3rd place if Spain don’t win the rest of their games. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

No I’d say we want Spain to beat everyone home and away except us. If that happens and we win our other two home games and beat Cyprus away and hopefully pick up a point or 2 away in our other games we should do enough to qualify which is all that matters. 

If we were to end up winning the group because Spain do drop more points then happy days but there is a risk Norway or even Georgia could force us into 3rd place if Spain don’t win the rest of their games. 

Yes I agree.

1 minute ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I want us to beat everyone home and away which is a lot more likely than Spain doing it! 

That's true.. however my inner pessimist thinks only 1 point will be forthcoming for us in June .......

A loss then a draw,.  Our June record is poor 

13 minutes ago, stocky said:

That's true.. however my inner pessimist thinks only 1 point will be forthcoming for us in June .......

A loss then a draw,.  Our June record is poor 

Thank f.. k you wont be giving the team talks before those games. ☺️☺️☺️

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I want us to beat everyone home and away which is a lot more likely than Spain doing it! 

Well aye that would do nicely. If it happens though I’ll buy everyone on here a pint after the Norway game at Hampden. 

28 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

For once I am confident about the June fixtures even if Norway have haaland back.

There is a buzz and determination with the core of that team and Clarke will keep them grounded

Yeah the players should be well up for it. A point or better against Norway and a win against Georgie would put us in a great position. 

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

You mean than Spain doing it overall or than Spain doing it from this point on?

One of them is impossible. The other one is incorrect.

4 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I think you might need to take another look at either your calculations or your wording there!

How many teams/matches do you think are in our group?!

4 minutes ago, Whelky75 said:

I think you might need to take another look at either your calculations or your wording there!

How many teams/matches do you think are in our group?!

I think you either need to read it again and try harder to understand it or just piss off and stop being a pedantic pain in the arse. 

42 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

For once I am confident about the June fixtures even if Norway have haaland back.

There is a buzz and determination with the core of that team and Clarke will keep them grounded

The usual players tired after a whole season shite cant really apply to two of our best players. 

Neither of them would be sitting on the bench at one of the top three teams in the EPL if they weren't ready to play. 

So I'm with you, don't see why we can't do ok.

51 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I think you either need to read it again and try harder to understand it or just piss off and stop being a pedantic pain in the arse. 

In the scenario you described, we would have at least 16 points. The most that Georgia could get would be 13 points. The most that Norway could get would be 13 points. The most that Cyprus could get would be 12 points.

So yeah, barring an asteroid wiping the country of Scotland off the map, or us being thrown out of the tournament for fielding an ineligible player, or there being bonus points up for grabs, which I’m unaware of, I’d say we SHOULD do enough to qualify, with the results you mentioned, right enough. 😬😮😕

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

The usual players tired after a whole season shite cant really apply to two of our best players. 

Neither of them would be sitting on the bench at one of the top three teams in the EPL if they weren't ready to play. 

So I'm with you, don't see why we can't do ok.

Yes I said earlier in a post on this matter. This season McTominay, Tierney, Dykes, McGinn, Gilmour, Adams, McKenna, Patterson, Hendry and even Hickey have not had a full season so will be fresh. And the players know they were below par last June and are gutted it cost them dearly so they will be well guarded against that happening this time around.

If we draw away to Norway and away to Georgia, and Spain beat Norway...then Norway will likely need snookers against us in the final game to go through. Likewise, if we beat Norway or Georgia away we're probably through.

If Norway beat us then it's likely they'll be on 13 pts and us on 12 pts going into our last two games, Georgia away and Norway at home. Norway would only have us left to play at that point so two draws might be enough to see us through depending on goal difference.

2 minutes ago, ghorne67 said:

If we draw away to Norway and away to Georgia, and Spain beat Norway...then Norway will likely need snookers against us in the final game to go through. Likewise, if we beat Norway or Georgia away we're probably through.

If Norway beat us then it's likely they'll be on 13 pts and us on 12 pts going into our last two games, Georgia away and Norway at home. Norway would only have us left to play at that point so two draws might be enough to see us through depending on goal difference.

It's head to head first before GD comes into it.

15 hours ago, Whelky75 said:

In the scenario you described, we would have at least 16 points. The most that Georgia could get would be 13 points. The most that Norway could get would be 13 points. The most that Cyprus could get would be 12 points.

So yeah, barring an asteroid wiping the country of Scotland off the map, or us being thrown out of the tournament for fielding an ineligible player, or there being bonus points up for grabs, which I’m unaware of, I’d say we SHOULD do enough to qualify, with the results you mentioned, right enough. 😬😮😕

What a sad little man. 

6 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Incidentally, this is our first qualifying campaign since the 2008 Euros where we have started with two back-to-back wins.

Didn’t we go on to win our first three matches in that campaign? Wouldn’t it be brilliant if we could do the same this time?