Euro 2024 - group discussion - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 2024 - group discussion

romanticscot

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Georgia haven’t lost a competitive game since Greece in 2021. Beat Sweden, Bosnia, Bulgaria and Macedonia since then so not a bad record. Wouldn’t be surprised if they take points off us and Norway. 

I'd happily take 4 points from the 2 Georgia games if it was offered right now 

15 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Georgia haven’t lost a competitive game since Greece in 2021. Beat Sweden, Bosnia, Bulgaria and Macedonia since then so not a bad record. Wouldn’t be surprised if they take points off us and Norway. 

Thats impressive. Going to be very tough against them in georgia. 

56 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

It's about time we had a statement 'big' result, like Wales got yesterday. Or England got in Italy. We're supposed to be better when we're underdogs, so a draw v Spain would be massive.

I wouldn't class a draw as a "big" result. It would be a very good result and I would take it right now, if it was on offer. A big result would be to beat Spain which I think is possible if every player plays to his potential and maybe we get a wee bit of luck here and there. That would put us in a very strong position in the group. If we want to start qualifying comfortably for the major tournaments we need to start winning all our home games, even the ones against the big nations.

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

It's about time we had a statement 'big' result, like Wales got yesterday. Or England got in Italy. We're supposed to be better when we're underdogs, so a draw v Spain would be massive.

From the reports on the game the Wales result really sounds like a smash and grab last minute equalizer when they should have been dead and buried. For England that is the classic 'big' result in qualifying when they probably would shite the bed 9/10 times in a knockout game of that stature. Hopefully I'm right!

Given we've been playing Nations League B games our opportunity set against the elite teams is probably smaller than it might have been. It will be a good test to see where we are, but I expect it to be a harsh reality frankly. Realistically we will need to hold ourselves to these standards when the Nations League comes back next year. So whatever happens we can hope it to be a good lesson for the squad regardless.

12 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I wouldn't class a draw as a "big" result. It would be a very good result and I would take it right now, if it was on offer. A big result would be to beat Spain which I think is possible if every player plays to his potential and maybe we get a wee bit of luck here and there. That would put us in a very strong position in the group. If we want to start qualifying comfortably for the major tournaments we need to start winning all our home games, even the ones against the big nations.

That’s the attitude 👍, none of this free hit shite 

5 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Won’t be the end of the world if we drop points in Georgia as long as Norway do as well and we beat Georgia at home. A point over there would be an improvement on what we’ve managed before and would likely be a good result given their recent form. 

The games we’ve lost over there have been so detrimental to us because our rivals have went to Georgia and won. We really have got a tough group their time considering we were the pot 2 team. Probably got the hardest teams possible from pots 3,4 and 5. 

Hopefully we’ll beat Spain tonight and get off to the best possible start.

53 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Won’t be the end of the world if we drop points in Georgia as long as Norway do as well and we beat Georgia at home. A point over there would be an improvement on what we’ve managed before and would likely be a good result given their recent form. 

The games we’ve lost over there have been so detrimental to us because our rivals have went to Georgia and won. We really have got a tough group their time considering we were the pot 2 team. Probably got the hardest teams possible from pots 3,4 and 5. 

Well we'll maybe be beating them tonight in your dreams!

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I’ve done so much travelling in the last few days I don’t even know what day it is. 😂

I had a mental image of some guy in a 10-gallon hat walking around outside Hampden going, "Where the fk is everyone?!" 😂

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Well if you consider we went to Ukraine a few months ago and came back with a draw then that is source for encouragement especially as we had injuries and a raging virus in that squad. Also Ukraine are player-for-player a patently better side than Georgia.

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well if you consider we went to Ukraine a few months ago and came back with a draw then that is source for encouragement especially as we had injuries and a raging virus in that squad. Also Ukraine are player-for-player a patently better side than Georgia.

Indeed and we should really be going to Georgia looking to win the game but we all know how that has panned out in the past. 

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Player to player based on what, the club's they play for and their form there . Obviously the Georgian players play far better at international level than they do at club level.

You can't have it both ways 

6 minutes ago, daviebee said:

I had a mental image of some guy in a 10-gallon hat walking around outside Hampden going, "Where the fk is everyone?!" 😂

Would have felt like it did going to games a few years ago. I’m pretty sure I thought I turned up on the wrong night a couple of times with some of the crowds back then. 

4 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Player to player based on what, the club's they play for and their form there . Obviously the Georgian players play far better at international level than they do at club level.

You can't have it both ways 

Based on several factors. Based on the set of results both sides have obtained in the last few years. Based on the average value of each player in each squad. Based on where each player plays club football. The only Georgian player talked about is the bloke at Napoli.

6 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Italy area pot 2 team (and failed to qualify for the World Cup) for a reason. England beating them over there isn’t as big a result for them as it would have been a couple of years ago.

If we are to take anything tomorrow night we will need to play at our best and hope Spain don’t play very well. Could easily happen but we could also easily get pumped 0-3. 

13 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Based on several factors. Based on the set of results both sides have obtained in the last few years. Based on the average value of each player in each squad. Based on where each player plays club football. The only Georgian player talked about is the bloke at Napoli.

You've just been told Georgia's recent results. So they are miles better at international level. Some players perform better internationally as you keep repeating. 

5 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

😂 and  ‘ the atmosphere really IS shit at Hampden now’ . 

😂 I could probably generate as good an atmosphere on my own than we saw on Saturday afternoon. 

I have a feeling it will be a wee bit better tomorrow night though. Especially if we play well. 

5 hours ago, dan cake said:

That’s the attitude 👍, none of this free hit shite 

I don’t really like the term free hit either but as long as Spain pump everyone else in the group home and away then we should be able to have a go at them tomorrow and if we lose it shouldn’t have too much bearing on our chances. 

We’ve taken something off the top seeds at Hampden in 2 of our last 3 qualifying campaigns so it’s not outrageous to think we might do it again. 

20 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

You've just been told Georgia's recent results. So they are miles better at international level. Some players perform better internationally as you keep repeating. 

Georgia's recent results was only good enough for them to finish fourth in group of five for the 2022 World Cup qualifiers and likewise fourth in group of five for the last Euros.