Scotland v Cyprus match thread..🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Cyprus match thread..🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Big Ramy 1314

Atmosphere at Hampden has been flat last few games. Used to be the North Stand was bouncing, recently been like a wake. Is it nerves? a big influx of new support? everyone too pished? Who knows but some really negative stiff has started to emerge (amongst a minority). Pre match yesterday-  booing Ryan Jack when team announced, no respect for away anthem,  booing Gunn when he walked to the goal.

Still  really hard to understand the deathly silence for most of the game when our team is doing best it has in 20 years.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, GLOSTA said:

Atmosphere at Hampden has been flat last few games. Used to be the North Stand was bouncing, recently been like a wake. Is it nerves? a big influx of new support? everyone too pished? Who knows but some really negative stiff has started to emerge (amongst a minority). Pre match yesterday-  booing Ryan Jack when team announced, no respect for away anthem,  booing Gunn when he walked to the goal.

Still  really hard to understand the deathly silence for most of the game when our team is doing best it has in 20 years.

Perhaps because we're doing well all the plastic fans are coming out of the woodwork sensing something is happening and 'they were there when'

33 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Yep.I was really up for it but as i said when i was in the queue at central staion it all seemed too quiet and my doubts were confirmed on the train and as soon as i arrived at the ground.Never experienced a full house Hampden so bloody lacking in passion before kick off.Can only hope that Tuesday can catch fire with it being Spain and under the lights which always looks better if nothing else.CMON SCOTLAND.

I really hope so because the performance being bad can usually be negated a bit by a good atmosphere and singing etc.

32 minutes ago, GLOSTA said:

Aye I said elsewhere I've been going regularly since about 1999 and even when we used to only have 15/20000 fans there was usually a decent atmosphere. Was just so so quiet the whole time.

38 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Yes he got two assists which is fine but he did fuck all the whole game. That wing was there to be exposed al game. He's up and down constantly for Liverpool and it was nothing like that yesterday. We had 3 at the back so he had plenty cover.

His all round performance was very poor.

Well IMO and from several reports I've read Robertson was one of our main attacking threats. In addition to the assists he put some tremendous balls into the box but unfortunately we don't have Mo Salah up front. He did balloon a great chance and overhit some crosses. He's had better games but certainly wasn't "fucking shite".

20 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Well IMO and from several reports I've read Robertson was one of our main attacking threats. In addition to the assists he put some tremendous balls into the box but unfortunately we don't have Mo Salah up front. He did balloon a great chance and overhit some crosses. He's had better games but certainly wasn't "fucking shite".

I actually thought it was one of Robertsons better performances for Scotland 

13 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Fair enough, I just don't think he performs nearly as good as he should. As I said a severe lack of runs down that wing where there was plenty of space. We tried to exploit it early on then he seemed to stay reasonably far back. It's Cyprus we were playing he should be bombing down there the majority of the game as he does for Liverpool. 

Totally understand against Spain that he will need to be further back.

Is it just me that's not a fan of Hickey on that right hand side? Clearly a very talented player but I'm not sure RB suits him.

Lost count of the amount of times we lost momentum in good positions because he cut backwards on to his left. Ironically the one time I recall him driving on his right side is one of the chances on the highlights where he got an early shot on target.

3 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Is it just me that's not a fan of Hickey on that right hand side? Clearly a very talented player but I'm not sure RB suits him.

Lost count of the amount of times we lost momentum in good positions because he cut backwards on to his left. Ironically the one time I recall him driving on his right side is one of the chances on the highlights where he got an early shot on target.

Where would you play him instead, or would you put him on the bench? 

7 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Maybe long term we will be better having hickey replace robbo on the left and have patterson on the right.

Then of course theres tierney and doig. Left back is just a stacked position for us in general.

13 hours ago, Kirk said:

I really hope so because the performance being bad can usually be negated a bit by a good atmosphere and singing etc.

Aye I said elsewhere I've been going regularly since about 1999 and even when we used to only have 15/20000 fans there was usually a decent atmosphere. Was just so so quiet the whole time.

Can't just blame newer fans though, plenty of those there standing in silence have bene going for years. 

12 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Where would you play him instead, or would you put him on the bench? 

This is the whole debate really. Ideally Paterson finds somewhere he can get a  good run and stay fit and then we have a good ready-made attacking full back on that side. See also Ralston if he can find somewhere to play regularly at a good level.

Then you come back to the embarrassment of riches we have at full back. Really Hickey and Doig are longer term solutions. Plenty of time for them both

10 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

This is the whole debate really. Ideally Paterson finds somewhere he can get a  good run and stay fit and then we have a good ready-made attacking full back on that side. See also Ralston if he can find somewhere to play regularly at a good level.

Then you come back to the embarrassment of riches we have at full back. Really Hickey and Doig are longer term solutions. Plenty of time for them both

Hickey also has attributes to be a very good midfield player.

On 3/26/2023 at 12:45 PM, Orraloon said:

Bet he left the price tag on it. 😂

No, he took the price tag off but he paid for it on our joint credit card. 80p from Tesco. He didn’t even try and disguise the price by buying other things. He spent £17.27 on toffees in B&M the same day. 

2 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

According to Craig Levein, Hickey is naturally right footed. I've watched him for a few years and it's difficult to tell. He's very two footed.

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Hickey also has attributes to be a very good midfield player.

He does - I wonder if he'll play central midfield for us at some point. A lot of our midfield options are reaching their final few years for us and could be a way to get both Patterson and Hickey in the side.

Something like (with the current squad):

• Gunn
  • Porteous - Hanley - Tierney
  • Patterson - Hickey - McGregor - Robertson
  • Christie - McGinn
  • Adams

2 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

He does - I wonder if he'll play central midfield for us at some point. A lot of our midfield options are reaching their final few years for us and could be a way to get both Patterson and Hickey in the side.

Something like (with the current squad):

• Gunn
  • Porteous - Hanley - Tierney
  • Patterson - Hickey - McGregor - Robertson
  • Christie - McGinn
  • Adams

So he's replacing Jack ahead of mctominay? 

Hickey is an exceptional defender. Purely on defensive ability id have him ahead of Tierney however he doesnt have the same attributes going forward as yet. His game is very technical / tactical which is great but also means he doesnt have the sense of abandonment you get with Patterson or got with the likes of Hutton. 

Patterson was probably more suited to Cyprus at home with Hickey better for Spain but id imagine Patterson wasnt quite there fitness wise.

11 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I saw the headline on the Scottish sun so I'm guessing I should take with a massive pinch of salt but I'll ask anyway.....did Ryan Jack get booed on Saturday?

There were a tiny minority in the Rangers end... same for the booing of Gunn. One of the other negative features recently has been club loyalties emerging... (spilled over a bit in Krakow last year)

7 minutes ago, GLOSTA said:

There were a tiny minority in the Rangers end... same for the booing of Gunn. One of the other negative features recently has been club loyalties emerging... (spilled over a bit in Krakow last year)

Fair enough, I didn't know gunn was booed too. Fuckin morons 

To be honest I did.not hear the booing of Jack or Gunn. 

I agree about the atmosphere being very flat though. That could be down to a combination of things. I think there was a lot of nerves amongst the fans realising it was a potential banana skin and what with a brand new untried goalkeeper and other untried faces in there such as Porteous and Jack getting a rare start it heightened the anxiety. Couple that with the kick-off time of 2pm not allowing much of the way of drinking time pre-match and that does not help. Hopefully, the atmosphere will be far improved tonight.

22 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Problem was, especially in the second half, no one made any runs ahead of him so whenever he got the ball he’d have 2 defenders in front of him. On the left side you had tierney, Robbo and Armstrong all exchanging passes whereas on the right side you had Porteous who came forward a bit but not as much as Tierney and then McGinn who was staying very central for the most part. I’ve watched him play on the right for Brentford a few times and he’s always looked very comfortable 

On 3/27/2023 at 11:23 AM, Squirrelhumper said:

Can't just blame newer fans though, plenty of those there standing in silence have bene going for years. 

Not me, I was just replying to the post