Scotland v Cyprus match thread..🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Cyprus match thread..🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Big Ramy 1314

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

We were 1-0 and not looking like it.. in the seventies we stuck 8 past them

8-0 was 60’s buddy. Remember the radio coverage in the Britannia club , Singapore.

was getting a bit annoyed at expecting our corners to lead to nowt. 8 ffs 

There seemed to be a lot of overhit crosses and corners, a few played to the back post and no one there. Also, some good balls played across the six yard box with no one getting on the end, Robertson hitting it too far ahead of Hickey, etc. Need to be more clinical against better teams. 
Food chance Spain will have most of possession on Tuesday, need to make the most of whatever chances we get.

Overall glad to get the 3 points. Hard to evaluate the performance. We were in control and in one way the score didnt flatter us but at the same time we left it far too late to kill the game off and with some more quality or abit of luck they could have scored and left us scrambling.

One thing ive noticed about us is that when we play lower seeded teams who sit in we let the tempo drop far too much. We need to get better at moving the ball quickly, keeping pressure on and forcing teams into error / get them out of their shape.

6 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Overall glad to get the 3 points. Hard to evaluate the performance. We were in control and in one way the score didnt flatter us but at the same time we left it far too late to kill the game off and with some more quality or abit of luck they could have scored and left us scrambling.

One thing ive noticed about us is that when we play lower seeded teams who sit in we let the tempo drop far too much. We need to get better at moving the ball quickly, keeping pressure on and forcing teams into error / get them out of their shape.

I can see what you are saying and I'd agree with moving the ball quicker and look to play a more penetrating pass too.

To be honest it is the calmest I have been against these park the bus type opponents in ages. They never posed a threat and it is always good to start a campaign with a win. McGinn's post-match comments are spot on and hopefully its spurs the whole team on not to rest on their laurels. All-in-all I can't complain with the result. Performance-wise it was a bit of a mixed bag. Very good opening quarter but then the tempo dropped and in the second half we were standing off them but the substitutions shook things up and we finished strongly.

8 hours ago, The Black Bra said:

There seemed to be a lot of overhit crosses and corners, a few played to the back post and no one there. Also, some good balls played across the six yard box with no one getting on the end, Robertson hitting it too far ahead of Hickey, etc. Need to be more clinical against better teams. 
Food chance Spain will have most of possession on Tuesday, need to make the most of whatever chances we get.

I noticed that too.  Corners and crosses going way beyond the back post.

we had lots of ball but played in front of them, was always nervous that they were going to break and score.

10 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

He only really broke into the team regularly from 2017 onwards so it's about right.

If Tierney can stay clear of major injuries he'll probably get more caps than Robbo, still only 25 and should reach 50 caps by end of next year.

It's funny with positions sometimes isn't it? 2-3 years back and you had Liam Palmer and O'Donnell toiling away at RB. Both did their best (especially S O'D playing his heart out in Belgrade) but now Hickey and Patterson have come along, been put in pretty early and that position is now sorted for the next decade.

If only a 20 year old CF would develop out of nowhere...very jealous ROI have Evan Ferguson as he'd be perfect for what Clarke is developing.

To be honest, I'd settle for a couple of playmakers and a poacher. If Doak and Hepburn realise their potential, we'll have plenty of magic on the pitch. We just need to find a reliable spearhead that will finish moves. 

The curse of the Scottish striker has continued for so long. Even if we do find a supremely talented finisher, they'll end up with some issues that'll affect them becoming a star. That is just our luck.

23 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Enjoy the day out Slasher 

A good day had by all VA! 👍

Bizarrely we ended up in a very ‘staunch’ pub to get out of the rain. (The old quarry bar) We didn’t get a very warm welcome but I think we won them over in the end 😂

Obviously we will have to be much better on Tuesday but as a starter for the campaign I thought it was decent 👍

I thought Clarke could have been a bit more positive with his changes but you can’t argue with the end result.

We were so pedestrian for most of the second half that it looked like they were happy to settle for a 1-0 win and just play out time. If Cyprus had somehow managed to sneak an equaliser, I wasn't sure we would manage to pick up the pace again to go for the winner. It turned out great in the end, but we could easily have dropped points there.

Cyprus are no minnows any more and are a fairly reasonable team. They might take points off Norway or even Spain. We won't find the away tie against them to be easy. The way they performed against us for 80 minutes will give them a wee bit of confidence.

10 hours ago, The Black Bra said:

We we more or less behind the goals and was really aware of this. That needs to get sorted. I thought the pitch must have shrunk at one point it was happening so often.

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

From about 10 minutes into the second half up until the second goal it was excruciating.  We were in different seats as I left it too late to book our usual seats and I was actually missing the bloke that normally sits behind us moaning his way through every game. It felt like we were just settling for 1-0 and although it didn’t look there was a chance of them scoring we have so often been caught out. The subs did made a difference though . 
Watched the Spain/Norway game in a local pub. I am not sure if the TV makes things faster, or it was the fact I was sitting about 10 inches from the screen, but the tempo in that game compared to our game was like night and day. Norway played very well even without Haaland, I felt the scoreline did not really reflect the performance . We will need to sharpen up but 3-0 is a brilliant start for us. 

As an aside , £3.30 for a cup of Bovril ! Wtf ! And a 25 minute wait. Looks like the SFA are putting a premium on food and drink to offset the lower ticket prices. 

5 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

We were so pedestrian for most of the second half that it looked like they were happy to settle for a 1-0 win and just play out time. If Cyprus had somehow managed to sneak an equaliser, I wasn't sure we would manage to pick up the pace again to go for the winner. It turned out great in the end, but we could easily have dropped points there.

Cyprus are no minnows any more and are a fairly reasonable team. They might take points off Norway or even Spain. We won't find the away tie against them to be easy. The way they performed against us for 80 minutes will give them a wee bit of confidence.

😂 spooky similar analysis! 

12 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

We we more or less behind the goals and was really aware of this. That needs to get sorted. I thought the pitch must have shrunk at one point it was happening so often.

From about 10 minutes into the second half up until the second goal it was excruciating.  We were in different seats as I left it too late to book our usual seats and I was actually missing the bloke that normally sits behind us moaning his way through every game. It felt like we were just settling for 1-0 and although it didn’t look there was a chance of them scoring we have so often been caught out. The subs did made a difference though . 
Watched the Spain/Norway game in a local pub. I am not sure if the TV makes things faster, or it was the fact I was sitting about 10 inches from the screen, but the tempo in that game compared to our game was like night and day. Norway played very well even without Haaland, I felt the scoreline did not really reflect the performance . We will need to sharpen up but 3-0 is a brilliant start for us. 

As an aside , £3.30 for a cup of Bovril ! Wtf ! And a 25 minute wait. Looks like the SFA are putting a premium on food and drink to offset the lower ticket prices. 

You should have gone while we were waiting for that VAR decision. 😂

Good result in the end if not a great performance. Take it all day but much better required on Tuesday. Just on another topic regarding the match. Thought the atmosphere was terrible. Never experienced such a quiet full house at Hampden. Before anybody says it wasn't a great performance that the fans could buy into and this has happened before. The big difference being this started pre kick off. There is usually singing in the train queue at central station, on the train and certainly in the ground in the build up to kick off. There was nothing at all. During the game was pathetic as well. Don't know if it's down to the demographics of our supporters. The change in that has brought in people to the games who don't seem to want to get involved in cheering every throw in and corner etc and watch the game with a sort of detached involvement. Fair enough if that's your thing, but it certainly doesn't help with creating an intimidating atmosphere. It was more like being at a womens game or worse a rugby match. The whole experience was so dull and tame Crowd never got fired up or involved. Anybody who thinks Hampden will be bouncing on Tuesday better hope that half of the crowd from the Cyprus game don't go. If the same lot turn up bouncing it ain't going to be. 

15 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I was behind the goal in the rangers end and it was quite apparent.  The wet pitch didn’t help as things just went skiting out.

20 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

You should have gone while we were waiting for that VAR decision. 😂

Dont be ridiculous I never went, I sent Mr Tidy. I am moaning on his behalf . He was still going on about it this morning. Its our anniversary and the first thing he showed me was a headline from the Daily Record about the prices.
About an hour later I got a card. 

17 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I was behind the goal in the rangers end and it was quite apparent.  The wet pitch didn’t help as things just went skiting out.

Thats where we were. Angus Gunn slipped at one point going for the ball and everyone drew a sharp intake of breath . 
Wet pitch doesn’t really excuse the poor crosses though, unless the rain actually did shrink the pitch 🙂 Its wasn’t particularly windy either. 
The atmosphere reflected the performance a bit. For almost a full house it was pretty shit most of the game. Not too sure if I am a fan of a 2 pm kick off either. 
All that said we did have good retention for large parts , a few years ago we would have been all over the place against a team like that,  and I do think we deserved the 3-0 score. 

14 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Dont be ridiculous I never went, I sent Mr Tidy. I am moaning on his behalf . He was still going on about it this morning. Its our anniversary and the first thing he showed me was a headline from the Daily Record about the prices.
About an hour later I got a card. 

Bet he left the price tag on it. 😂

35 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Good result in the end if not a great performance. Take it all day but much better required on Tuesday. Just on another topic regarding the match. Thought the atmosphere was terrible. Never experienced such a quiet full house at Hampden. Before anybody says it wasn't a great performance that the fans could buy into and this has happened before. The big difference being this started pre kick off. There is usually singing in the train queue at central station, on the train and certainly in the ground in the build up to kick off. There was nothing at all. During the game was pathetic as well. Don't know if it's down to the demographics of our supporters. The change in that has brought in people to the games who don't seem to want to get involved in cheering every throw in and corner etc and watch the game with a sort of detached involvement. Fair enough if that's your thing, but it certainly doesn't help with creating an intimidating atmosphere. It was more like being at a womens game or worse a rugby match. The whole experience was so dull and tame Crowd never got fired up or involved. Anybody who thinks Hampden will be bouncing on Tuesday better hope that half of the crowd from the Cyprus game don't go. If the same lot turn up bouncing it ain't going to be. 

I'm one of the folk who prefers to actually watch the game. A bit of a radical idea, right enough, but what can I say? I've always been a bit of a rebel.