Scotland v Cyprus match thread..🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Cyprus match thread..🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Big Ramy 1314

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very decent performance on the whole - if we could be better in the last third (how long have we been saying that?) but there's a good team there and some great players coming through.

Hickey was excellent. Tierney is always reliable. Dykes is a great asset (if you aren't relying on him to score). Christie can be frustrating but did well for the two goals. Gunn was solid/one save?

Overall pretty good! Hopefully can sneak a win on Tuesday now!

Gonnae get pelters for this, buy I would bring Doak in for the Spain match. We are not suppose to compete with them, so bring in Doak and let him have a go.. It's a gamble, but other clubs and countries have done it with youngsters, so why not. This lad is fearless and what an engine. Could literally lite a fire under some others arse aswell if he performs !! Incoming!!🤣

7 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Gonnae get pelters for this, buy I would bring Doak in for the Spain match. We are not suppose to compete with them, so bring in Doak and let him have a go.. It's a gamble, but other clubs and countries have done it with youngsters, so why not. This lad is fearless and what an engine. Could literally lite a fire under some others arse aswell if he performs !! Incoming!!🤣

He's withdrawn from U21 due to the head injury he received a while back so he won't be called up I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

Gutted to see Robbo not get a goal. He had 2 or 3 chances to hit it low and hard into the bottom corner. Setting up 2 goals will do though. He'll be our highest cap earner before he finishes up, and he'll deserve it.

Apparently today was only his 61st cap. For some reason I thought he had more. At 29 years old, maybe getting over 100 caps is a lot to ask. But you never know.

8 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Apparently today was only his 61st cap. For some reason I thought he had more. At 29 years old, maybe getting over 100 caps is a lot to ask. But you never know.

Great player but he did it today and I've seen him do it for liverpool, gets insde the penalty box and seems to be unsure whether to shoot or cross and, ultimately, ends up doing something kinda in-between.  Nitpicking, I know but if he could make the right decision in these moments, man what a player he'd be!

Edited by todd

4 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I think we play an average of around ten matches per year - even without qualifying for a tournament - so by 33, he could be around 100 caps (assuming he's still playing internationals in four years).

8 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

I think we play an average of around ten matches per year - even without qualifying for a tournament - so by 33, he could be around 100 caps (assuming he's still playing internationals in four years).

I think it'll probably come down to whether he's still playing regularly for Liverpool by then. But he only turned 29 this month, so no reason why he won't. If he didn't have Tierney, Hickey and Doig all ready to take over, then I'd say 100+ caps would be inevitable. 

I can see Robertson retiring from international football after the next World Cup campaign. His game is very physical and he has been very fortunate that he has avoided lengthy injury layoffs or if he has it hasnt affected his game.

Did anyone else see McGinn after the game, he was acting like a captain IMO yes with his interview but he was waiting for our players encouraging them and high fiving. I had marked McTominay as a future captain years ago but I doubt it that will happen. McGinn is a player who somehow handles the pressure like water of a ducks back, I dare say the players all expect him to be scoring the same way we do but it doesn't phase him.

Thought we played in 2nd gear for a lot of the game. 3-0 was deserved and put some gloss on the performance.

Need a bit more urgency at times as could come down to goal difference. Deliveries into the box were poor but controlled the game from kick off.

48 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Minor point and I know some disagree but thought it was great, blue shirts, white shirts, red socks. Back to memories of Dalglish, Jordan, McQueen et al.

Looked good because we won, had we lost that game it'd be looking a bit shit! 

Edited by todd

53 minutes ago, supersub said:

Thought we played in 2nd gear for a lot of the game. 3-0 was deserved and put some gloss on the performance.

Need a bit more urgency at times as could come down to goal difference. Deliveries into the box were poor but controlled the game from kick off.

Always head to heads not goal difference in uefa tournaments 

55 minutes ago, supersub said:

I think we were definitely playing with an eye on Tuesday night.

Hopefully that pays off 🤞

21 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

Got Spain v Norway on seeing as I’ve paid for Viaplay for a month.

Spain 1-0 up, was about to post Norway have barely touched the ball but they’ve just had a chance.

They're that kind of team, I wouldn't bet against them drawing this game even with 12% possession!  That's just what they do 

35 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I think we were definitely playing with an eye on Tuesday night.

Hopefully that pays off 🤞

Yep, we were in that position where some commentator comes out with the wanky "they could easily move up a gear of they wanted to" BS.  But unfortunately that statement is reserved for teams that are currently beating us!

4 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

He only really broke into the team regularly from 2017 onwards so it's about right.

If Tierney can stay clear of major injuries he'll probably get more caps than Robbo, still only 25 and should reach 50 caps by end of next year.

It's funny with positions sometimes isn't it? 2-3 years back and you had Liam Palmer and O'Donnell toiling away at RB. Both did their best (especially S O'D playing his heart out in Belgrade) but now Hickey and Patterson have come along, been put in pretty early and that position is now sorted for the next decade.

If only a 20 year old CF would develop out of nowhere...very jealous ROI have Evan Ferguson as he'd be perfect for what Clarke is developing.

21 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

He only really broke into the team regularly from 2017 onwards so it's about right.

If Tierney can stay clear of major injuries he'll probably get more caps than Robbo, still only 25 and should reach 50 caps by end of next year.

It's funny with positions sometimes isn't it? 2-3 years back and you had Liam Palmer and O'Donnell toiling away at RB. Both did their best (especially S O'D playing his heart out in Belgrade) but now Hickey and Patterson have come along, been put in pretty early and that position is now sorted for the next decade.

If only a 20 year old CF would develop out of nowhere...very jealous ROI have Evan Ferguson as he'd be perfect for what Clarke is developing.

Pinning my hopes on Rory Wilson… because there really isn’t anyone else out there.