From hero to zero - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

From hero to zero

3 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

David Bentley was another one. Meant to be the new David Beckham, big move to Spurs, in England squads, couple of good seasons then fell away like a stone.

I think he had a career ending injury. He was never that good anyway but he was being compared to David Beckham as you say.

1 hour ago, fringo said:

I think he had a career ending injury. He was never that good anyway but he was being compared to David Beckham as you say.

I'm not sure that the injury was career ending  but certainly disrupted his time at Spurs, iirc he just fell out of love with the game. Others mentioned so far (e.g. O'Connor, Griffiths,Stokes) have had attitude problems or mental health issues. 

8 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

I'm not sure that the injury was career ending  but certainly disrupted his time at Spurs, iirc he just fell out of love with the game. Others mentioned so far (e.g. O'Connor, Griffiths,Stokes) have had attitude problems or mental health issues. 

You're probably right. I do remember the hype though and then he quickly disappeared.

Paul McDonald - out and out left winger for Accies and one of the last of that breed of player

Had it all but,  like Davie Cooper at times, was a team luxury.

Big move to Southampton in the EPL in 1993 and played 3 games in 3 years

Then back to relative obscurity  

There must be a 100 Scottish Players that had the same fate

The one player that sticks in my mind is Andy Cole at Chelsea.   At his peak he was arguably the best left back in the world.   For seven years at Chelsea he never dipped below a 7 and most games would be above that.  In the CL semi-final second leg at Barcelona, after Terry was sent off, he was immense, got the game by the scruff of the neck and dragged the team over the line.

Then in his final season, his form just fell completely off a cliff, his legs had gone.   I've never seen such a dramatic decline in a player over such a short period of time.

5 minutes ago, aaid said:

The one player that sticks in my mind is Andy Cole at Chelsea.   At his peak he was arguably the best left back in the world.   For seven years at Chelsea he never dipped below a 7 and most games would be above that.  In the CL semi-final second leg at Barcelona, after Terry was sent off, he was immense, got the game by the scruff of the neck and dragged the team over the line.

Then in his final season, his form just fell completely off a cliff, his legs had gone.   I've never seen such a dramatic decline in a player over such a short period of time.

Assume you mean Ashley?!

6 minutes ago, aaid said:

Ashley - and he wis 33 in his final season with Chelsea

3 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Ashley - and he wis 33 in his final season with Chelsea

If it was just down to age then you would expect a much more gradual decline.

The season before he played 51 games and ended up winning the Europa League, didn't show any loss of form or fitness, when he came back for the new season he'd gone.  By November he was out of the starting line-up.