Bailey Rice... - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bailey Rice...

Big Ramy 1314

Take the "watched by Real Madrid" thing with a pinch of salt.... clubs like that have a scouting network and they compile reports of 100's of youth players to watch around Europe (sure Snodgrass and Steven Fletcher found themselves on one of these "lists", and it turned out they were just 2 of 300 names on such list as players to watch).

31 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Take the "watched by Real Madrid" thing with a pinch of salt.... clubs like that have a scouting network and they compile reports of 100's of youth players to watch around Europe (sure Snodgrass and Steven Fletcher found themselves on one of these "lists", and it turned out they were just 2 of 300 names on such list as players to watch).

Oh, OK then. Is he any good? Is he one for the future as far as Scotland is concerned? Can he play the striker role, God knows that's what we need !!

29 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Honestly never heard of him.... I know Rangers fans who talk of Leon King and (especially) Alex Lowry as being the next kids to watch out for, but not seen or heard much on Rice being mentioned.

Just the usual hype and paper talk then. Ach well. Cheers pal..👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

I saw him play against Georgia round about this time last year. Doak was the stand out but Rice caught the eye as well. At the time he was with Motherwell but then got snapped up by Rangers and came on as a sub a few weeks back to make his full team debut. He's a promising youngster but that's all and as we know a lot can happen. Jack Harper was actually at Real Madrid but unfortunately things didn't turn out as hoped. More positively Morrison seems to be making good progress at Bayern Munich.

43 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

I saw him play against Georgia round about this time last year. Doak was the stand out but Rice caught the eye as well. At the time he was with Motherwell but then got snapped up by Rangers and came on as a sub a few weeks back to make his full team debut. He's a promising youngster but that's all and as we know a lot can happen. Jack Harper was actually at Real Madrid but unfortunately things didn't turn out as hoped. More positively Morrison seems to be making good progress at Bayern Munich.

Cheers. Bailey, if you are reading this, My name is Ramy, we need a striker, so put in some extra training and attack more. Trust me, I'm a football manager..🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿👊🙏

He's a full year younger than Ben Doak. Lowry and King are 19, Doak is 17 and Rice is still 16. As far as I remember he is a center mid and nothing else. He is very good but I also wouldn't read too much into him being watched by Real Madrid and others.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him move on from Rangers though if one of those type of teams come calling (or any EPL level team to be honest), it seems to be a common enough occurrence now as Rangers (and Celtic) are unable to show a viable path to first team football. When you consider that EPL teams are (apparently, I no source for that) paying youth players multiples of what they earn here it becomes an easy decision for them. 

42 minutes ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

He's a full year younger than Ben Doak. Lowry and King are 19, Doak is 17 and Rice is still 16. As far as I remember he is a center mid and nothing else. He is very good but I also wouldn't read too much into him being watched by Real Madrid and others.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him move on from Rangers though if one of those type of teams come calling (or any EPL level team to be honest), it seems to be a common enough occurrence now as Rangers (and Celtic) are unable to show a viable path to first team football. When you consider that EPL teams are (apparently, I no source for that) paying youth players multiples of what they earn here it becomes an easy decision for them. 

I think its mainly money. Celtic and rangers need to up their wages for young players who look really promising. Tie down guys like lowry and doak even if it requires them getting a few grand a week. Celtic did give doak gametime tbf but the money on offer down south is just too much. 

Said it lots in previous threads but moving down south to play epl youth football at 16/17/18 or even 19/20 isnt the best option for youngsters. It might be financially good but career wise its not particularly very good when you consider very few of our players actually progress to the first team of these epl clubs.

very few of our players, but also very few of anyone’s players……. as getting a game in the epl happens to only a few.

there are many paths to the top, but the performance schools seem to be successful, the next stage is connecting it with the right choices to get first team games. Look at gilmour, textbook path to a point and then, prob a bit of bad luck that a manager that fancied him moves on and he becomes well down pecking order.

16 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

I think its mainly money. Celtic and rangers need to up their wages for young players who look really promising. Tie down guys like lowry and doak even if it requires them getting a few grand a week. Celtic did give doak gametime tbf but the money on offer down south is just too much. 

Said it lots in previous threads but moving down south to play epl youth football at 16/17/18 or even 19/20 isnt the best option for youngsters. It might be financially good but career wise its not particularly very good when you consider very few of our players actually progress to the first team of these epl clubs.

Happy to be corrected on this but that is revisionism as far as I can remember. He got 3 minutes against rangers and another 25 against Dundee United and that was it. They gave him those minutes because they suddenly realised he was going to leave. There was no visible or viable pathway for him to get into the Celtic team so he left. He is likely going to be better than every single player Celtic have on their books, so that is what I would consider a structural issue with their pathway. If they aren't able to solve that issue then more will leave. The absolute best will be good enough to break through around 16/17 but the OF don't trust them at that age. They must find a way to solve that issue or they will lose the majority.

Good non Old Firm young players used to have 2 choices. Stay at non OF clubs on much lower money and prestige and hope that progression continues and you not only get exposure via 1st team games but that you are good enough to then get a decent money move or take the signing on fee (which can be 5 figures for young players going to OF) knowing that initial wages will be decent but chances of first team football will be almost non existent however once the contract runs out aged 24ish you can likely still get a contract elsewhere.

Thats changed now as clubs in England are snapping up our young players and not only offering good money but also better coaching / developmental setup but also a clear pathway into 1st team.

Its mental that players like Gilmour and Doak got a better chance of proper 1st team football at Chelsea and Liverpool than at the OF.

4 hours ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

Happy to be corrected on this but that is revisionism as far as I can remember. He got 3 minutes against rangers and another 25 against Dundee United and that was it. They gave him those minutes because they suddenly realised he was going to leave. There was no visible or viable pathway for him to get into the Celtic team so he left. He is likely going to be better than every single player Celtic have on their books, so that is what I would consider a structural issue with their pathway. If they aren't able to solve that issue then more will leave. The absolute best will be good enough to break through around 16/17 but the OF don't trust them at that age. They must find a way to solve that issue or they will lose the majority.

You are exactly correct. If he'd signed the contract he'd have been papped straight back down to the B team without a second glance.

The old firm are currently embroiled in a tug of war for the league. Both are terrified of coming 2nd. Youth development is very much an after thought at the moment.

6 hours ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

He was a 16 year old tbf. Very few 16 year olds get first team football offered to them. Surely celtic should get some credit for trying to promise first team football and giving him a few minutes to prove that. If they had offered that plus money that was near to what liverpool were offering then doak might have stayed. Instead celtic have lost a real talent due to mostly money.

Its clear to me that celtic and rangers need to up their wage structure for young players and give them more gametime. They both play absolute shite every week and are often up 3 or 4 nil with 25 mins remaining. They should be able to play youngsters against the spl dross and still win.