Scotland v Cyprus and Spain Squad discussion - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Cyprus and Spain Squad discussion

romanticscot

20 hours ago, csinclair said:

I personally think Hyam is better than Hanley but Clarke seems to rate Hanley and can't see him throwing Hyam straight in.
I think we should go with a back 4 against Cyprus but have a feeling Clarke will go with Porteous Hanley Tierney in a 3

The advantage with Hyam is that, although right-footed, he played for Coventry (who play a back 3) as the left centre back. We're short of left CBs; just Tierney, McKenna and Cooper.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

He was only born in Scotland when his English dad was stationed at Leuchars. Does that make him a plastic Jock?😉

He's got two Scottish Grannies according to that Herald article. Add that to the fact he was born here and that makes him 150% Scottish I reckon...

20 hours ago, Marky said:

At the very least against Cyprus, I's like to see McGregor, McTominay and Ferguson in midfield and play McGinn off the front man.

Interesting that Ferguson has been playing further forward for Bologna recently, so to have him and McGinn just behind Adams, with Hickey and Robertson as wing backs would be intriguing. We don't have a natural wide man with Fraser out which you need with a back four. Christie I don't trust to get us a goal as I don't think he's scored for Bournemouth this season if I'm right. 

34 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

You need to check where he stands amongst leading Scotland goalscorers of all-time. Way ahead of players deemed legends who played in far stronger Scotland teams yet weighed in with far less goals than Miller.

I liked Kemnny Miller. Always put in a good shift. His goalscoring record was pretty respectable as well. 

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

We don't have a natural wide man with Fraser out which you need with a back four. Christie I don't trust to get us a goal as I don't think he's scored for Bournemouth this season if I'm right. 

Robbo and Alexander-Arnold seem to give Liverpool a lot of width even though they play as part of a back four.

Imagine anyone taking advice from this  rocket!

Jason Cummings describes his decision to commit his international future to Australia rather than Scotland, for whom he had won two caps in friendlies, as "a no-brainer because Scotland doesn't qualify for the World Cup". Cummings expects Manchester City's Scots-born-but-Sydney-bred midfielder Alex Robertson to follow his example by choosing to play for Graham Arnold's Socceroos. 

37 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Jason Cummings describes his decision to commit his international future to Australia rather than Scotland, for whom he had won two caps in friendlies, as "a no-brainer because Scotland doesn't qualify for the World Cup". Cummings expects Manchester City's Scots-born-but-Sydney-bred midfielder Alex Robertson to follow his example by choosing to play for Graham Arnold's Socceroos. 

2 caps for Australia and now hes Mr World cup. Hes an absolute fucking clown

59 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

That bellend would be nowhere near our squad if he hasn’t picked Australia So his “decision” was made for him. 

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

That bellend would be nowhere near our squad if he hasn’t picked Australia So his “decision” was made for him. 

Aye, and we've been scratching around for strikers for the past few years and that erse still didn't merit a mention!

6 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

You need to check where he stands amongst leading Scotland goalscorers of all-time. Way ahead of players deemed legends who played in far stronger Scotland teams yet weighed in with far less goals than Miller.

The fact other "better" club players didnt perform at international level doesnt change the way Miller played the game. To his credit he always worked hard and always turned up. He also chipped in with some important goals however his movement was horrible, his touch wasnt much better and generally if he had anytime before shooting it rarely ended in a goal. 

He was the best that we had for a long time but he was not a good player. Ireland had Robbie Keane. The difference in quality is night and day.

54 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

The fact other "better" club players didnt perform at international level doesnt change the way Miller played the game. To his credit he always worked hard and always turned up. He also chipped in with some important goals however his movement was horDon't agree. rible, his touch wasnt much better and generally if he had anytime before shooting it rarely ended in a goal. 

He was the best that we had for a long time but he was not a good player. Ireland had Robbie Keane. The difference in quality is night and day.

Thought he did ok for us. No problem with his Scotland career to be honest. 

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

The fact other "better" club players didnt perform at international level doesnt change the way Miller played the game. To his credit he always worked hard and always turned up. He also chipped in with some important goals however his movement was horrible, his touch wasnt much better and generally if he had anytime before shooting it rarely ended in a goal. 

Of course he was a good player. Insulting pish. 

8 hours ago, Och Aye said:

Jason Cummings is a no-brainer. 😂  Australia didn't qualify for the World Cup for over 30 years and only started qualifying regularly when they exploited the rules to give themselves an easier route to the finals. Even so, to date we've still qualified for more World Cups than they have.

As for Alex Robertson, as far as I know he's never played for Scotland at any level (although he has played for England at age group level) so he's I'm not sure why Cummings is talking about him.

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

No, he wasn't as good as Robbie Keane but that doesn't mean he wasn't a good player. It isn't easy to score goals at international level but Kenny Miller managed to fairly regularly, and against good teams too. He wouldn't have still been playing football into his forties if he'd been a poor player.

In any case, something I'm sure we can all agree on is he was a damn sight better than Jacob Brown! 😄

10 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Jason Cummings is a no-brainer. 😂  Australia didn't qualify for the World Cup for over 30 years and only started qualifying regularly when they exploited the rules to give themselves an easier route to the finals. Even so, to date we've still qualified for more World Cups than they have.

As for Alex Robertson, as far as I know he's never played for Scotland at any level (although he has played for England at age group level) so he's I'm not sure why Cummings is talking about him.

No, he wasn't as good as Robbie Keane but that doesn't mean he wasn't a good player. It isn't easy to score goals at international level but Kenny Miller managed to fairly regularly, and against good teams too. He wouldn't have still been playing football into his forties if he'd been a poor player.

In any case, something I'm sure we can all agree on is he was a damn sight better than Jacob Brown! 😄

Probably still is.😄

10 hours ago, thesaint said:

I liked Kemnny Miller. Always put in a good shift. His goalscoring record was pretty respectable as well. 

He missed some absolute howlers.

4 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Agree, worked hard but really wasn't a very good player. Missed a good few sitters and lost the ball a lot.

2 hours ago, scotlad said:

Miller wasnt a poor player but average is probably the best description of him. Very much a championship standard striker. He did have some good games for us and he did his best but we really needed a guy who was a proper epl level striker.