Scotland v Cyprus and Spain Squad discussion - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Cyprus and Spain Squad discussion

romanticscot

35 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

No Adams for Spain is a huge setbackĀ 

I wonder whether he was carrying some sort of injury beforehand as he didn't seem as sharp as normal. Also think he was unlucky to get a penalty just before the break. Got chopped down in the box, surprised there was no VAR check.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

What is the point of Jacob Brown being in theĀ  squad? I've got nothing against the guy but it's telling that we're talking about Shankland coming on or starting rather than Brown. If we play someone off the main striker Clarke seems to trust an attacking midfielder like Christie or Armstrong rather than Brown.

A great point. Brown actually is a striker who can also play on the right, if he doesn't get significant game time v Spain then clearly he is a waste of a squad place and we are better served either using that for Doak, covering the right midfield or finding a young Striker that has potential and giving them the absolute best apprenticeship possible.Ā  If we did not have this injury crisis which should be resolved by June then not popular then we may need to talk to Karlan Grant or reconsider the stance with McBurnie to strengthen our placement of strikers.Ā 

Edited by romanticscot

8 minutes ago, stocky said:

I think McBurnie should have been brought inĀ 

He's on form and better than shankland...

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

It depends on where mcburnies head is, if his attitude has adjusted then he could be an asset.Ā 

4 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

I wonder whether he was carrying some sort of injury beforehand as he didn't seem as sharp as normal. Also think he was unlucky to get a penalty just before the break. Got chopped down in the box, surprised there was no VAR check.

There was a VAR check. Watching it back on Sportscene it was a clumsy challenge by Gogic but he did get a foot to the ball.

Adams certainly didn't look 100% his usual self, thought Dykes was better when he came on.

Ā 

Edited by Toepoke

20 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Word in Sheffield is he is a changed man.Ā 

Think Clarke has made his mind up about him.Ā 

If McBurnie is scoring goals then regarding our striker problems Clarke should think again. We are hardly spoiled for choice. Why would he be willing to go crawling to a guy who didn't originally want to play for us yet call time on a guy who has been totally commited to us and has started scoring again. What has McBurnie done wrong. It never worked the first time around for us, but he wouldn't be the first guy in international football to get a second chance and take it.Ā 

I'm 100% in the McBurnie IN camp.

Regarding strikers for Tuesday I suppose the default option would be Dykes, But I just wonder about his ability to keep us up the pitch when we're under pressure. I distinctly remember Spain at Hampden 2010 and having an out ball to Miller up the channel to hit on the break. Perhaps we want the same kind of thing could be done with someone a bit more pacey like Christie or even Brown. I think it's a far bigger call than it looks on paper.

I'm 100% sure he'll stick to Dykes though

27 minutes ago, thesaint said:

If McBurnie is scoring goals then regarding our striker problems Clarke should think again. We are hardly spoiled for choice. Why would he be willing to go crawling to a guy who didn't originally want to play for us yet call time on a guy who has been totally commited to us and has started scoring again. What has McBurnie done wrong. It never worked the first time around for us, but he wouldn't be the first guy in international football to get a second chance and take it.Ā 

Good point.Ā  Some folk just can't get past that time he was caught on audio saying it was shit going to Scotland camps.Ā  But, to be fair to him, at that time it probably was!

3 minutes ago, todd said:

Good point.Ā  Some folk just can't get past that time he was caught on audio saying it was shit going to Scotland camps.Ā  But, to be fair to him, at that time it probably was!

That was just daft banter with a teamate..The point being he always made himself available even when getting ridiculous abuse from all sides. If he really thought it was so bad turning up for Scotland then why did he? He could just have pulled out. Plenty have.Ā 

11 minutes ago, todd said:

If a player has an attitude problem there is no point having them in the squad. If mcburnie has grown up....Clarke will likely call him up again

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

If a player has an attitude problem there is no point having them in the squad. If mcburnie has grown up....Clarke will likely call him up again

If you call turning up for every squad and playing at under 19 and under 21 level for us having an attitude problem ..then i suppose he has.As far as playing for Scotland goes...he has a great attitude.That's what Clarke should be interested in.

51 minutes ago, thesaint said:

If you call turning up for every squad and playing at under 19 and under 21 level for us having an attitude problem ..then i suppose he has.As far as playing for Scotland goes...he has a great attitude.That's what Clarke should be interested in.

Turning up does not = great attitude. You have no idea what mcburnie is like in camp or what he's like to manage. There's zero evidence which suggest his attitude is great but plenty that states he is silly boy.Ā 

Hopefully he gas screwed the nut, if he has then I'm sure Clarke will select him soon enoughĀ 

4 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

I'm 100% in the McBurnie IN camp.

Regarding strikers for Tuesday I suppose the default option would be Dykes, But I just wonder about his ability to keep us up the pitch when we're under pressure. I distinctly remember Spain at Hampden 2010 and having an out ball to Miller up the channel to hit on the break. Perhaps we want the same kind of thing could be done with someone a bit more pacey like Christie or even Brown. I think it's a far bigger call than it looks on paper.

I'm 100% sure he'll stick to Dykes though

Its really a great point. Lets face it Dykes isnt 100% match fit and he isnt effective at all with nobody around him and even if he can get the better of Laporte and Nacho in the air then are we going to be up the pitch enough to capitalise.Ā 

Adams a huge loss for this one. I do expect Brown or Shankland to come on in 2nd half as Dykes going to have to do some chasing.Ā 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Turning up does not = great attitude. You have no idea what mcburnie is like in camp or what he's like to manage. There's zero evidence which suggest his attitude is great but plenty that states he is silly boy.Ā 

Hopefully he gas screwed the nut, if he has then I'm sure Clarke will select him soon enoughĀ 

Neither haveĀ  you. No evidence to suggest his attitude isn't good and that he isn't popular among the other players. Certainly when he plays for Sheffield. Utd it looks like he is popular. No reason to believe it would be any different with Scotland.Ā 

3 hours ago, thesaint said:

Neither haveĀ  you. No evidence to suggest his attitude isn't good and that he isn't popular among the other players. Certainly when he plays for Sheffield. Utd it looks like he is popular. No reason to believe it would be any different with Scotland.Ā 

A quick Google search found plenty of controversy about mcburnie. He's been an idiot in the past, from drink driving, assault to minor things like not taking part in a team huddle because celtic do it šŸ¤£

As i said, he's worth calling up if his head is in the right place but I can see why he hasn't been and its not the fault of Steve Clarke. Clarke doesn't strike me as the type of manager who would ignoreĀ  player for no good reason.

Edited by vanderark14

41 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Could have been an ideal opportunity to get another look at McBurnie but donā€™t blame Clarke for not bothering, decent goal record this season but past few seasons barely scored.Ā 

Lets not kid ourselves on his club goalscoring record though. He had purple patches for his club whilst in the EPL and he was still wholly ineffective for Scotland.