Scotland v Cyprus and Spain Squad discussion - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Cyprus and Spain Squad discussion

romanticscot

Never lost a wink of sleep over losing Cummings, he lost a good few years of his career through his own daftness, and his Australia call up only came on the back of actually going out to play in Australia.

As for Robertson, while born in Dundee, he was never seriously going to be in contention for us.... dad is Australian, mum is South American, and effectively grew up dividing his time between living in Australia and England, and then switched between England and Australia at youth level.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Och Aye said:

Imagine anyone taking advice from this  rocket!

Jason Cummings describes his decision to commit his international future to Australia rather than Scotland, for whom he had won two caps in friendlies, as "a no-brainer because Scotland doesn't qualify for the World Cup". Cummings expects Manchester City's Scots-born-but-Sydney-bred midfielder Alex Robertson to follow his example by choosing to play for Graham Arnold's Socceroos. 

Tbf in the span of his career he’s factually correct 

3 hours ago, wanderer said:

Never lost a wink of sleep over losing Cummings, he lost a good few years of his career through his own daftness, and his Australia call up only came on the back of actually going out to play in Australia.

As for Robertson, while born in Dundee, he was never seriously going to be in contention for us.... dad is Australian, mum is South American, and effectively grew up dividing his time between living in Australia and England, and then switched between England and Australia at youth level.

Yeah Robertson's dad & grandad both played for Australia so we were never really on the cards

10 hours ago, wanderer said:

Of all the bampot forwards produced by Hibs over the past two decades, Cummings is by far the least talented.

Edited by scotlad

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

Is that Lesser Hampden? Pretty sure there is construction work going on. It's a decent facility.

I believe so, yeah apparently the playing surface is perfect.  Think our back 4 from the Berti Vogts era are watching on from the balcony!

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

Is that Lesser Hampden? Pretty sure there is construction work going on. It's a decent facility.

Aye, apparently the pitch at Oriam is unsafe.

It looks a high quality facility - does seem odd the capacity will only be around 1,800 when finished (especially if Queen's Park do get promoted to the Premiership); I assume it can be expanded beyond that... Will be interesting to see if Lesser Hampden becomes the training venue in the longer term.

1 hour ago, todd said:

On a side note, could Northern Ireland hand picked a better group ffs?

You think?  Other than San Marino I wouldn't say they have any other easy games in that group. All their remaining away games are potential banana skin games imo

18 minutes ago, kwhitelaw said:

You think?  Other than San Marino I wouldn't say they have any other easy games in that group. All their remaining away games are potential banana skin games imo

They might not have any easy games but they could have had 100%  harder games, I think that is the point.

Mind you Haaland and Norway couldn't beat Slovenia so maybe it as a hard group.

23 minutes ago, kwhitelaw said:

I do think.  They were, what, pot 4? and ended up avoiding a load of top teams.  I'd swap with them in a heart beat.  And we were pot 2!

15 minutes ago, todd said:

I do think.  They were, what, pot 4? and ended up avoiding a load of top teams.  I'd swap with them in a heart beat.  And we were pot 2!

Oh aye I'd take that group for us too but I just don't think it'll be the easy group for them that people think.  Kazakhstan, Slovenia and Finland away are all games I wouldn't say they have a good chance of winning (us either for that matter going by past performances against those teams, Finland excluded maybe)

3 minutes ago, kwhitelaw said:

Oh aye I'd take that group for us too but I just don't think it'll be the easy group for them that people think.  Kazakhstan, Slovenia and Finland away are all games I wouldn't say they have a good chance of winning (us either for that matter going by past performances against those teams, Finland excluded maybe)

Fair enough.  Just had a wee look at the groups, Group E would've been sweet for us as pot 2.  Being pot 2 didn't really aid us too much in the end did it? 🤔

35 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Adams may not feature against Spain due to a tight calf, this again shows Clarke needs to improve with contingent planning in his squads. I doubt Dykes can play 90, he should have added another striker. 

He does but Scotland fitness is the not the same as club fitness .

Remember Fraser was always injured for Newcastle got in squads played , then went back to be injured again at club level .

49 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Anyone think the Spain game could've been the idea match for Gilmour to play? Match sharpness would be a worry now though

I was actually thinking this as well, and may well be Clarke's plan. Ball retention may be the key to reducing Spain's chances. It was one of the main factors in us drawing with England. 

If Gilmour had been playing more, it would have been a certainty. I think McTominay might get the nod instead. This'll be a hard starting 11 to predict.

Who's starting CF on Tuesday then? I assume Dykes but with his lack of minutes he's not going to last beyond an hour and think the Spain CBs will handle him with ease.

Personally I'd have Christie as the advanced attacker and pack the midfield out as can't be giving someone like Gavi the acres of space that Zinchenko got at Hampden otherwise it will be the same result

Edited by Tartan Chris

Dykes will start and work as hard as he can for as long as he can. He will need someone to lay off to otherwise we shall struggle to get any shots off. Shankland is a totally different player so when he comes on, we probably need a second striker beside him which we just don't have the tools in the box so we may consider starting both of them and then inevitably when Dykes needs to come off just play containment, bringing on Gilmour to attempt to retain possession. 

As mentioned elsewhere our free balls need to improve a ton, we can't be wasting those few opportunities that may arise. 

What is the point of Jacob Brown being in the  squad? I've got nothing against the guy but it's telling that we're talking about Shankland coming on or starting rather than Brown. If we play someone off the main striker Clarke seems to trust an attacking midfielder like Christie or Armstrong rather than Brown.