Scotland v Cyprus and Spain Squad discussion - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Cyprus and Spain Squad discussion

romanticscot

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suspect the keepers will be Kelly, Clark and Gunn (which on paper, looks a lot better than Kelly, Clark and either Rangers 2nd or 3rd choice keeper....)

With Cooper and McKenna out at their clubs for various reasons, feeling we could see Dominic Hyam called up.

Midfield, unless Clarke has a last minute Ace card up his sleeve to top Gunn, I doubt there will be any major changes (only story in papers about anyone else being called up is Allan Campbell).

Upfront I expected the strikers to be Adams, Nesbit and Shankland (depending on his fitness), but looks like Dykes recovery is well ahead of schedule, and would not actually be shocked if McBurnie does get a recall now his off the field activities are behind him.

12 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Suspect the keepers will be Kelly, Clark and Gunn (which on paper, looks a lot better than Kelly, Clark and either Rangers 2nd or 3rd choice keeper....)

With Cooper and McKenna out at their clubs for various reasons, feeling we could see Dominic Hyam called up.

Midfield, unless Clarke has a last minute Ace card up his sleeve to top Gunn, I doubt there will be any major changes (only story in papers about anyone else being called up is Allan Campbell).

Upfront I expected the strikers to be Adams, Nesbit and Shankland (depending on his fitness), but looks like Dykes recovery is well ahead of schedule, and would not actually be shocked if McBurnie does get a recall now his off the field activities are behind him.

Dykes played for QPR at the weekend so I reckon he’ll make it with one of Nisbet/Shankland.

5 minutes ago, Rab The Crab said:

Dykes played for QPR at the weekend so I reckon he’ll make it with one of Nisbet/Shankland.

Yeah, his manager was saying they only planned to give him half a game, but ended up giving him a full hour.... I imagine QPR will probably have final say, but as its two home games they may be more willing to release him.

Elephant in the room: Angus Gunn. Quite hard to imagine it not being awkward for other GKs in the squad because it's obvious Clarke doesn't trust any of them, otherwise they would have had 1 cap between them by now.

Strikers: I think you would struggle to say the likes of Brown and Stewart have done enough to warrant a call up. Honestly Shankland has come alive since taking the Hears captaincy, see also Oli McBurnie's form this season - no longer has the court case hanging over him. Dykes played 60mins on Saturday and is still QPRs top scorer somehow. So hard to imagine he won't be included.

Midfield: Anderson possibly. But sounds like he 'opted out' of the U21s rather than him being called up to the senior squad. I'd say unlikely to be included. Otherwise there is a worry about the game time and form of some players. Gilmour, McTominay for example. Compared also to players who have been playing every week but tend to play less for us, see Lewis Ferguson, Ryan Jack. I imagine all of these names will be included.

Defence: I've lost track a bit of who is actually fit. Seems to be a lot of expected absences. Obviously concerns over Tierney's playing time but none over his work rate or quality. Hickey seems to have come into his own at RB. Porteous on excellent form since moving to Watford. You also will have Clarke's customary inclusion of Greg Taylor.

Hi, new here. 🖐️

These players have long term injuries or have retired from international football.

• Craig Gordon, David Marshall, Craig Halkett, Calvin Ramsay & Ross Stewart.

These players have missed the last game with their club through injury and it isn't clear if they have recovered.

• Robbie McCrorie, Scott McKenna, Liam Cooper, Jack Hendry, Declan Gallagher, Nathan Patterson & Billy Gilmour.

John Souttar and Lyndon Dykes have recently played their first minutes after being out injured.

6 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

I

IMG_20230314_124004.jpg

No surprises, would have been nice to have seen a fresh face or 2. Maybe Haydon Hackney is ready🤔

Not sure How fit Dykes is, would have been tempted to recall McBurnie as he is on decent form. Jacob Brown is a grafter but isn't consistent or predictable enough to ever be anything more than a pacey impact player.

ignoring the controversy around Gunn and accepting him as Scottish, and assuming we are playing 5 at the back, I would go

Gunn

Hickey    Hendry         Hanley        Tierney       Robertson     
                 Mctominay           Ferguson     Mcgregor

Mcginn

Dykes

If we play 4…

Gunn

hickey         Hanley  hendry        Tierney

Mctominay   Ferguson mcgregor   Robertson

Mcginn

Dykes

Wasn't aware Paterson was fit, that's a boost.

No real surprises, Clarke has a core nucleus of a squad nowadays similar to any established national team coach ends up with. You could argue there is value in leaving out x player and try to bring in y player etc but for the sake of continuity no complaints.

Only new concern is the form of a lot of the players atm, not to mention existing concerns about depth in defence and attack.

1 minute ago, Bzzzz said:

Shame no sign of Ben Doak. but then we don't do that do we, promote our youth, we'll let Scott Gemmell ruin him first. 

Apparently had to be taken off with concussion in Liverpool's European Youth-League game today

Edited by wanderer

2 minutes ago, Bzzzz said:

Shame no sign of Ben Doak. but then we don't do that do we, promote our youth, we'll let Scott Gemmell ruin him first. 

God forbid we should ever take a gamble. Doak on the bench as a possible impact player would have been interesting.