Batumi - Georgia v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Batumi

Rents

So Norway are playing Georgia in Batumi. I wonder if that means we will play there also.

I have been to Tblisi twice already so I would be hoping for Batumi. It also seems to be warm there and the city is knows as The Las Vegas of the Black Sea"

Might be a bit more difficult logistically for travel. Especially since the Kiev route has been taken out of action

On 3/1/2023 at 7:34 PM, Rents said:

So Norway are playing Georgia in Batumi. I wonder if that means we will play there also.

I have been to Tblisi twice already so I would be hoping for Batumi. It also seems to be warm there and the city is knows as The Las Vegas of the Black Sea"

Might be a bit more difficult logistically for travel. Especially since the Kiev route has been taken out of action

Just saw something about this. The National Stadium in Tbilisi is being renovated for the U21 Euros in June/July. So I imagine they will be back to playing there by November.

1 hour ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Just saw something about this. The National Stadium in Tbilisi is being renovated for the U21 Euros in June/July. So I imagine they will be back to playing there by November.

Makes sense. Norway game is in March so Tbilisi not ready by then.

I am booked to Tbilisi, and would not have time to get to Batumi and back...

• 1 month later...
On 4/14/2023 at 9:21 PM, GLOSTA said:

I will be in Tbilisi for work next week... Will see if I can get any information, by randomly asking people in bars for their expert opinion

My work pal here says:

1. Refurb of stadium in Tbilisi is complete- I an see from roof bar in my hotel and looks ok

2. They are very proud of the new stadium in Batumi, and that may sway them to go their 

3. He is going to make enquiries to see if he can get a straight answer

6 hours ago, GLOSTA said:

My work pal here says:

1. Refurb of stadium in Tbilisi is complete- I an see from roof bar in my hotel and looks ok

2. They are very proud of the new stadium in Batumi, and that may sway them to go their 

good man

6 hours ago, GLOSTA said:

My work pal here says:

They're playing the final of the U17 tournament in Batumi despite refurbing the stadium in Tbilisi which I thought was surprising  , but since they've beaten us twice in that stadium in Tbilisi its hard to see them not taking us there again 

22 hours ago, GLOSTA said:

My work pal here says:

Update.... luckily got a chance to meet a government Minister this morning.... suggested they are very keen to promote Batumi as a place to visit. Being cheeky I asked if he would phone the Minister for Sport ...  Doubt very much will get any answer but you have to try!

10 hours ago, GLOSTA said:

Update.... luckily got a chance to meet a government Minister this morning.... suggested they are very keen to promote Batumi as a place to visit. Being cheeky I asked if he would phone the Minister for Sport ...  Doubt very much will get any answer but you have to try!

OK... Met up again with Minister.  He texted Head of Georgian FA... saw reply... not decided on venue but thinks most likely Tbilisi...but cannot guarantee

everyone here says train to Batumi if it is there is best option.... 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/20/2023 at 7:12 PM, GLOSTA said:

OK... Met up again with Minister.  He texted Head of Georgian FA... saw reply... not decided on venue but thinks most likely Tbilisi...but cannot guarantee

I assume plenty trains 🚂 to get us to Batumi 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2023 at 7:48 PM, From_Dundee_to_Ancoats said:

A good shout is (well apart from the fact it's only wizz air that fly there) to go to kutaisi. In middle of batumi and Tbilisi. 

They seem to fly regularly from all the Polish cities at cheap rates at minute.

That's the only bad thing about it, Wizz air are a fkin pile of shite. 

53 minutes ago, Bzzzz said:

That's the only bad thing about it, Wizz air are a fkin pile of shite. 

Genuinely never had an issue with Wizz Air and I've used them a fair amount over the last handful of years. But it seems to be everyone else that has some kind of horror story

6 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Genuinely never had an issue with Wizz Air and I've used them a fair amount over the last handful of years. But it seems to be everyone else that has some kind of horror story

I would consider not going rather than use them again. Maybe we've been unlucky but they've cost us hundreds in fkin cancelled and moved flights.

54 minutes ago, Bzzzz said:

I would consider not going rather than use them again. Maybe we've been unlucky but they've cost us hundreds in fkin cancelled and moved flights.

We're using them to get to Cyprus from Gatwick , they’ve moved the flight already , just praying they don’t cancel it 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/20/2023 at 7:12 PM, GLOSTA said:

some good information mate cheers for the effort

My mate was looking up the price of Yandex fares between the main cities in case you've booked up and get caught out by an unexpected venue. I imagine a lot of people will look to fly to Kutaisi as there are plenty of Wizz Air flights going there. Also keen to branch out and see a bit of the country as I expect to be there for 5/6 nights

Batumi to Kutaisi - £30 - 2hr 30m

Kutaisi to Tbilisi - £60 - 3hr 30m

I assume by that logic you could get Batumi to Tbilisi for the region of £90 for a 6hr drive. I think the train is similarly quick though