SNP leadership election - Page 80 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SNP leadership election

28 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

It's pretty much a ceremonial position. I don't think it's even an official government job? They only invented the position to give one of the Lib Dems a job in the coalition. 

The Deputy First Minister, within the Scottish Government, has direct responsibility and control over the strategy of the Scottish Government, delivery and outcomes of ministerial portfolios, resilience, as well as cross-government co-ordination of public service reform.[1] Alongside the responsibilities of the post-holders functions as Deputy First Minister, the post holder is also required to have direct responsibility for a cabinet secretary post.

Edited by Ally Bongo

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

The Deputy First Minister, within the Scottish Government, has direct responsibility and control over the strategy of the Scottish Government, delivery and outcomes of ministerial portfolios, resilience, as well as cross-government co-ordination of public service reform.[1] Alongside the responsibilities of the post-holders functions as Deputy First Minister, the post holder is also required to have direct responsibility for a cabinet secretary post.

So it was all John Swinney’s fault then.  

5 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

If i was Forbes i would want to play on the maternity angle in order to distance herself as much as possible from Humza's Government

Glad she took my advice

2 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

U should have kept ur membership 

Whit ?

Everything that has happened so far confirms i made the right choice ...not that i had any doubts

I refuse to fund the SNP in the current climate - when they become a serious party for Independence i will rejoin

I'm also not joining Alba either for the same reasons

9 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Whit ?

Everything that has happened so far confirms i made the right choice ...not that i had any doubts

I refuse to fund the SNP in the current climate - when they become a serious party for Independence i will rejoin

I'm also not joining Alba either for the same reasons

It’s more to do with not being chased out and letting the lunatics take an ever greater hold 

1 minute ago, aaid said:

Disappointing that Kate Forbes seems to think that Rural Affairs is beneath her. 

its a demotion, would you happily take a demotion after being within a whisker of winning the leadership contest? a total school boy error by Humza but not unexpected.

Just now, vanderark14 said:

its a demotion, would you happily take a demotion after being within a whisker of winning the leadership contest? a total school boy error by Humza but not unexpected.

No prizes for coming second.  I think she’ll pack it in at the next election.  

Just now, aaid said:

No prizes for coming second.  I think she’ll pack it in at the next election.  

She is obviously popular therefore giving her a senior role would show a united front and it would show respect for a good opponent. Humza obviously wants his buddies who backed him and will therefore piss off those who supported Kate.

Its a thick as fuck move by Humza but thats what happens when someone who is thick as fuck gets the top gig

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

She is obviously popular therefore giving her a senior role would show a united front and it would show respect for a good opponent. Humza obviously wants his buddies who backed him and will therefore piss off those who supported Kate.

Its a thick as fuck move by Humza but thats what happens when someone who is thick as fuck gets the top gig

Neil Gray and Shona Robison ran his campaign, the latter has been close to him for years.  It’s pretty obvious that he will want to both reward them and have people he trusts close to him, every single FM or PM would do the same, that’s to be expected.

She was offered a position which would’ve kept her in the cabinet, she’s turned that down, given her background and constituency turning down that portfolio seems strange and I wonder how it will go down with her constituents.   

Ministers move portfolios all the time and it’s part of building up the relevant experience.  Nicola Sturgeon was moved from Health - probably the most important portfolio - to Infrastructure.  That wasn’t seen as a demotion.

I was struck by Kate Forbes saying that during the campaign that if she lost it would be a one time deal.   I suspect that with a young child - and speculating here, possibly more to come in the next few years - she may well feel that she’s finished with front line politics.  That will be a shame as she obviously has talent. 

22 minutes ago, aaid said:

Neil Gray and Shona Robison ran his campaign, the latter has been close to him for years.  It’s pretty obvious that he will want to both reward them and have people he trusts close to him, every single FM or PM would do the same, that’s to be expected.

She was offered a position which would’ve kept her in the cabinet, she’s turned that down, given her background and constituency turning down that portfolio seems strange and I wonder how it will go down with her constituents.   

Ministers move portfolios all the time and it’s part of building up the relevant experience.  Nicola Sturgeon was moved from Health - probably the most important portfolio - to Infrastructure.  That wasn’t seen as a demotion.

I was struck by Kate Forbes saying that during the campaign that if she lost it would be a one time deal.   I suspect that with a young child - and speculating here, possibly more to come in the next few years - she may well feel that she’s finished with front line politics.  That will be a shame as she obviously has talent. 

The blindingly obvious difference is that the SNP were at a crossroads and the same old pish is never going to cut it 

A drop in 50,000 members was the clue

This was the time to forget about the old and unite the party by giving senior roles to Forbes and Regan - or perish the thought set up a Minister for Independence role - something like that

But naw

33 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Spot on. 👍 Thick as fuck and arrogant with it - the worst combination.

If he'd any strategic ability he'd have made her DFM - she's more popular with the public than he is (currently) and given how close the final result was it could have brought the party together.

At the very least he could have kept her as Finance Minister. It's a crucial role and one that's not going to get any easier any time soon but she's shown herself well up the task.

But no. Humza's ego comes before all else. 🙄

3 minutes ago, aaid said:

TBF, to Kate Forbes here, it sounds like maybe the “sources” are playing silly buggers and people are falling for it.

Scotland are playing aaid

Let it go for 90 minutes 🤣🤣