SNP leadership election - Page 75 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SNP leadership election

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

Well, that’s it settled then. Let’s see how things unfold over the next couple of years. 

Humza has a big challenge on his hands to be able to win over the public just to even maintain support. 

His communication style is the biggest problem for me. He’s a modern soundbite politician, regurgitation of stock phrases and no style or ability to communicate naturally. That’s where Sturgeon and Salmond were in a league of their own in these isles. 

None of them are great at communication. Kate Forbes is a bit awkward as well but she is more natural than Humza. I will give him a chance, I think its unfair for anyone to just dismiss someone, but I am not optimistic, I think the divisions in the party may be past repair. 

19 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

None of them are great at communication. Kate Forbes is a bit awkward as well but she is more natural than Humza. I will give him a chance, I think its unfair for anyone to just dismiss someone, but I am not optimistic, I think the divisions in the party may be past repair. 

Thing is, nobody's really just dismissing anyone.  He's been in a few jobs and made an arse of them all.  From an intellectual giant like Alex Salmond to this character...

He'll be a disaster.

7 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Thing is, nobody's really just dismissing anyone.  He's been in a few jobs and made an arse of them all.  From an intellectual giant like Alex Salmond to this character...

He'll be a disaster.

You never know, he may have been saving up all his skills for the top job ! 

I just think its fair to give him the benefit of the doubt. I have done everything that was in my power to avoid him getting the job and I am gutted that he has won. But he did. If my doubts are confirmed though I will probably cancel my membership by way of dissent as I honestly would find it hard to put my support behind him. 

49 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Malcolm has left the building . 

hopefully the deposit return scheme will be such a disaster that Humza and the greens disappear together.  I expect further humiliation when they try and challenge the GRR decision.

in a strange way I am looking forward to how much of an arse of things they can make between them unfold.

This is interesting.  37.7% of HY’s 2nd prefs went to KF and 46.6% of KF’s went to HY.   Maybe it’s not as binary and divisive as the top line is being result is being portrayed.

3 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

hopefully the deposit return scheme will be such a disaster that Humza and the greens disappear together.  I expect further humiliation when they try and challenge the GRR decision.

in a strange way I am looking forward to how much of an arse of things they can make between them unfold.

This “disastrous deposit return scheme”?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-65079902

6 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

You never know, he may have been saving up all his skills for the top job ! 

I just think its fair to give him the benefit of the doubt. I have done everything that was in my power to avoid him getting the job and I am gutted that he has won. But he did. If my doubts are confirmed though I will probably cancel my membership by way of dissent as I honestly would find it hard to put my support behind him. 

I think I'm probably thinking and feeling very similar to you at present. I think it is all too easy just to throw the toys out of the pram (some the self-styled 'inclusivists' in the party seem to have a very narrow understanding of what that means!) but Humza needs to be given some time. I've only fairly recently moved to live in Scotland and am cautious that at least some of the opprobrium flung in his direction may be undeserved given that it comes from a hostile Unionist media who will never give him credit for anything. He needs to be judged on his actions as FM and whether his actions are making independence more or less likely. Next few weeks will be interesting but the fundamental arguments for independence remain unchanged.

5 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

https://news.stv.tv/scotland/coca-cola-irn-bru-and-pepsi-firms-urge-scotlands-next-first-minister-to-make-deposit-return-top-priority

6 minutes ago, aaid said:

This “disastrous deposit return scheme”?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-65079902

I did laugh at the bit where Coca Cola is described as 'a responsible producer'

https://www.euronews.com/green/2022/11/18/coca-cola-revealed-as-worlds-worst-plastic-polluter-for-fifth-year-in-a-row

I'm sure the deposit return scheme will not be a problem for big companies, they'll absorb the costs fairly easily. My concern is for smaller, local companies who will find that more difficult. I hope my worries are misplaced but the communication round the issue has been poor.

3 hours ago, Freeedom said:

Isn't it a little wild that SNP members not even living in Scotland had a vote on Scotlands next first minister. That rule should be changed

Not for me

There may be some like me who have potential plans to return to Scotland one day.

2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Not for me

There may be some like me who have potential plans to return to Scotland one day.

Likewise.   It seems that for some people your vote only counts if you vote they way that they want.  That’s pretty much a microcosm of how the Scottish electorate is treated in the UK,

8 minutes ago, aaid said:

Likewise.   It seems that for some people your vote only counts if you vote they way that they want.  That’s pretty much a microcosm of how the Scottish electorate is treated in the UK,

Not often we agree aaid but here we do.

15 minutes ago, Freeedom said:

Self explanatory, only people living in the country should be able to vote on its political future. It's a loophole that should be closed

So, you think Brits living overseas shouldn't be allowed to vote in a General Election?